GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help Identify Transmission Part in Oil

sauceman101

Ready to race!
First off, trans is out now for a clutch, diff, and RMS job. In the process of this job last week, I dropped the oil I found this little guy shown in the attached photos to the magnetic ECS drain plug (thanks ECS for probably saving the trans) looks like a rivet or a lock pin of some sort. Before opening the trans I thought it'd more than likely be a rivet from a shift fork as my car is a 2010 and thought I could still have the old version that had issues on previous gens and older 02Qs.

Well after opening it up, shift forks 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6 appear to all be the steel welded guys. The reverse fork is still the old version but I can't see any rivets on the fork in any spot. I'll pull the gear sets tonight when I have a second set of hands to look at the inside area that isn't visible now, but I'm fairly certain there aren't any. I've gone over every inch of the two case halves as well as everything visible on the gear sets, and looked through the exploded views of the trans in the workshop manual, and can't find anything that it'd be aside from those rivets that I don't think I have. Only other thing I could think of is the expansion pin in the stock open differential. Part #n 90538701. Can't seem to find pictures to confirm if this was it.

Does anyone have any idea where this piece could have came from or recommendations of where to look?! Trans has 125k on it. Last fluid change was in October at about 118k. Occasionally have slop/notchiness going into third and fifth, otherwise it shifts like butter. I've attributed the slop/notchiness to a pressure plate that is well worn, and a broken clip on the OEM side to side shifter.

Attachments

• IMG_8096.JPG
    IMG_8096.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_8097.JPG
    IMG_8097.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_8099.JPG
    IMG_8099.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_8176.JPG
    IMG_8176.JPG
    280.6 KB · Views: 186

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Fairly certain after going over everything again that it's the spring pin in the open diff that should live in that little hole. Problem solved. New races go in tonight and I'll measure the play in the diff and order a shim!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461249276.365193.jpg