GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help me choose the right tint film

ChiGuyGolf2.5

Ready to race!
A friend of a friend is offering two different films at a discount. He is offering to do 35% all around for $200. Is that a decent price for the films below? Which film would you choose?

Here are the two films. Give me your opinions please!

3M™ Color Stable Automotive Window Films
Patented 3M nano-carbon polyester technolgy provides excellent heat rejection combined with a tinted factory glass look
Glare reduction: window tint allows only 5% to 50% of the light into your car
Improves comfort: rejects up to 57% of the heat coming through your windows
No signal interference: Color Stable films are non-metallized
Interior protection: blocks up to 99% of harmful UV rays to reduce fading of your car's interior
UV/Skin protection: provides SPF of up to 1000, a Skin Cancer Foundation recommended product
The name says it all: never turns purple, guaranteed for the life of the film

3M™ FX HP Automotive Window Films
Hybrid combination of metal and dyed film technologies
Improves comfort: rejects up to 55% of the heat coming through your windows
Interior protection: blocks up to 99% of harmful UV rays to reduce fading of your car's interior
UV/Skin protection: provides SPF of up to 1000, a Skin Cancer Foundation recommended product

crashdb

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't get the bottom tint. I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that the metal in the films can cause interference with GPS and cell phones.

drtyjrsy

Ready to race!
the warranty on the HP film doesnt cover fading and color change. in IL i dont think youll have to worry about it but it is notable. its odd that hes charging the same price tho. the colorstable film is a chunk more expensive of a product but it is more difficult to work with and the hatch window on the golf is tricky. if your confident in his work quality id go with the colorstable line its got a real nice color to it.

ChiGuyGolf2.5

Ready to race!
Another contender has been thrown into the ring. It sounds like the 2nd option is out for sure. So what about between these two? Is it worth having 35% or the better quality film? Im not sure either why he is offering any for one price. I assume its because he is charging quite a bit anyway.

Option 1: ONLY comes in 40%. I wanted 35%.
3M™ Crystalline Automotive Films
If you are looking for the ultimate in high technology, superior clarity and performance with a premium look – Then 3M Crystalline Automotive Window Film is for you. 3M Crystalline Automotive Window Films feature a proprietary, multilayer optical film technology that combines over 200 layers in a film that is thinner than a Post-it® Note. This unique technology is the reason a clear film can reject more heat than darker films, without changing your car's appearance.

Solar heat comes from two primary sources, the visible light you can see and the infrared light you can feel. Crystalline window films reject up to 97% of the sun's heat producing infrared light and block up to 60% of the heat coming through your windows. These industry-leading, spectrally-selective films are designed to keep you cool, comfortable and protected.

Designed to maintain the appearance of your car, Crystalline films allow up to 90% of the light into your vehicle. Because these films are non-metallized, you can be assured of zero interference with GPS or cell phone signals.

Option 2: Can get 35%.
3M™ Color Stable Automotive Window Films
Patented 3M nano-carbon polyester technolgy provides excellent heat rejection combined with a tinted factory glass look
Improves comfort: rejects up to 57% of the heat coming through your windows
No signal interference: Color Stable films are non-metallized
The name says it all: never turns purple, guaranteed for the life of the film

crashdb

Go Kart Champion
I would still stick with the second. 35% is the lightest I would go in any car. If you go to my build thread (linked in my sig) you'll see what 35% looks like in sunlight.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
40% would barely be worth doing. I would go with the 35%. Also of your looking to reduce heat, 3M makes a blue film that goes on your windshield that blocks like 65% of heat coming through your windshield. Have it on my car and highly recommend it. It goes get a bit wonky in the corners if you have polarized shades.

drtyjrsy

Ready to race!
Most lines of film round off the percentages. The color stable 35% is really a 39%. So really they're both a 40%

Also 200 for a full car is not a lot for a top quality job. If you are considering the crystalline film THAT is an expensive product. It should at least double the cost, at least! We charge 600 for a 4 door with that line of material and people pay it all the time. That's what I have on my car and it definitely the industry leader in clarity and performance

Last edited: