GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help Me Pick Out a Car for the GF

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
My girlfriend's lease (Civic) is running out in April/May, so I've been looking up possible replacements for her. She's not into cars at all, so basically it just needs to be something small, safe and reliable. Lease or finance depending on what car she ends up with.

Here's my list so far. Any suggestions or additions welcome.

All 2012 (Prices through Zag)

1) Honda Fit Sport w/ Nav ($20,310?): Pros - Fun, Safe, Reliable. Cons - Weak, End of Life Cycle? (outdated feature set), Pricier than Competition.

2) VW Golf ($20,349): Pros - Fun, Safe, Nice Features. Cons - Questionable Reliability, I'm Going to Mod It, Most Expensive of the Choices.

3) Hyundai Elantra GLS with Conv Pkg ($17,593): Pros - Lots of Features, Nice Styling, Low Price. Cons - Kinda Boring, Possible Reliability Issues.

4) Mazda 3 i Sport ($16,395): Pros - Fun, Low Cost. Cons - Ugly, Not Sure about Reliability.

5) Ford Focus SE - ?

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Toyota Corolla, or Nissan Altima for a little bigger I would recommend. Both great cars.

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
honda fit. surprisingly big in the inside, obviously its a honda motor so it'll run forever, good gas mileage, and it doesnt look all that bad. definitely a girly car, thats for sure.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Get the elantra or the fit. Make sure you get the fit without the nav, $1500 is absurd.

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
^^^This guy....x2

09vdubgti

Banned
Why spend money on modding your girls car? Ok like little things here and there is fine but why do expensive mods?

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the feed back so far.

1) I do like the Fit. Not too happy with the lack of features as compared to some others like drum brakes? And also worried that it's nearing the end of its life cycle. Maybe that's a good thing. Grambles, any input?

2) Elantra. I've been in a couple. Never drove one. It looks great on paper. Just afraid what it's like owning one.

3) I will have to look more into the Corolla and Altima.

4) Mini - She hates them with a passion almost as much as the PT Cruiser. She does like the original Mini's though.

5) Veloster - She likes how it looks. But from the reviews, it sounds like a dog.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Fit, is my fav out of the group. Hyundai has a 10 year warranty, so what are you afraid of?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
The 2012 Mazda3 has a toned-down smile. Much better looking. Their skyactive motors are getting great MPG and as a former Mazda3 forum moderator, I don't recall any noteworthy reliability issues outside of failed side motor mounts on earlier models.

Both the new Elantra and Accent (larger motor, better than ever) are good contenders when you weigh their value.

walker

Go Kart Newbie
...the mazda 3 smile...that's why my wife won't get one. Just glanced at the 2012, it doesn't look that bad.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
...the mazda 3 smile...that's why my wife won't get one. Just glanced at the 2012, it doesn't look that bad.

While still smiley, its much better than before.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
While still smiley, its much better than before.

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
Out of those choices... the fit.

As for me, I picked out a jetta for my GF. Picking it up this weekend actually.