GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP!!! Stage1 and Clutch Failure

GTi-GUY86

Ready to race!
I went Stage 1 on 12/30/11 and everything was peachy. So this morning around 4am as I'm going home from the club my clutch fail to engage. The car start but I cant put her into gear to move. When the clutch is depressed it sticks and does not spring back forward. I dont know what to do!!!! So I had her towed to my VW dealer to get looked at. I put her back on stock mod and lock my ECU so my programs cant be detected. If my clutch is bad should I be expected to pay for this of should it be covered via warrenty? Suggestions and help is greatly appreciated. TIA

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
it's most likely you slave cylinder is leaking inside the bell housing,if your pedal dose not return up then it's bad.If it was leaking im sure it got fluid on your clutch so the dealer should replace that under warranty

allset

Go Kart Champion
depends on the dealer, if they are mod friendly they may work with you. It was recently posted here that VWOA gave the dealers the ability to tell if u are flashed, so the lock out doesnt make a difference.

This could be your throw out bearing/slave cylinder. It assists in engaging/releasing the clutch and the current ones being used by VW are known by many here, including mine, to make a squeal when engaging the clutch.

Whether or not the TOB noise many of us have is now manifesting itself as a failed bearing remains to be seen but im pretty sure a failed TOB would produce the problem u have; but there are other failures which could do the same thing.

GTi-GUY86

Ready to race!
thanks for the info guys.

GTi-GUY86

Ready to race!
Just found out that my pressure plate failed on my car. Kinda sucks but at least its covered under warranty so I'm not to concerned over it. Bad thing is that I have to drive some crappy ass car until I get my baby back...

allset

Go Kart Champion

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
have them hold it, and order an aftermarket clutch for them to install lol

allset

Go Kart Champion
have them hold it, and order an aftermarket clutch for them to install lol

OMG ^^ this. I didnt see u were tuned. This could be an oppurtunity to upgrade the clutch. South Bend has stage 2 drop in clutch disc that works with the oem pressure plate and flyhweel for 375. Holds near 400hp.

or do the whole upgrade kit from SB for 1100.

U should ask vw if u could put in a better clutch disc, the oem they will put in is going to wear and need replacement when ur warr is up

GTi-GUY86

Ready to race!
Thanks I will def look into that TOB. I havent had any problems with it so like they say if it and broke dont fix it lol. I could do an aftermarket clutch but dont have the cash for it right now plus shes my DD. Bad enough I'll be stuck in some boring Jetta or Subaru Forrester until I get her back :(

allset

Go Kart Champion
Thanks I will def look into that TOB. I havent had any problems with it so like they say if it and broke dont fix it lol. I could do an aftermarket clutch but dont have the cash for it right now plus shes my DD. Bad enough I'll be stuck in some boring Jetta or Subaru Forrester until I get her back :(

my sig is my DD also

BenH

Ready to race!
OMG ^^ this. I didnt see u were tuned. This could be an oppurtunity to upgrade the clutch. South Bend has stage 2 drop in clutch disc that works with the oem pressure plate and flyhweel for 375. Holds near 400hp.

U should ask vw if u could put in a better clutch disc, the oem they will put in is going to wear and need replacement when ur warr is up

what's this drop in clutch called? they have a weird website and this is the first mention to my knowledge after reading 3 boards. I've been babying my clutch since going back to stage 1 and I've been thinking about sellin the GTI again due to it's durability with mods

GTi-GUY86

Ready to race!
did the mention anything about your tune?

Nope not at all. I put her back in stock mode before I had her towed to the dealer.

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion

thats kinda like putting brand new brake pads on a warped rotor...plus the pressure plate is worn from the slipping...the drop in won't last, especially if you want to go beyond stage 2...see Nick0188's thread on vortex

GTi-GUY86

Ready to race!
A quick update

Called the service dept. this morning since I wasnt able to speak with them yesterday after notifying that my car was ready. My service advisor told me that the cause of the problem was the TOB that has been getting attention her on the forum. I was very surprised when he mentioned that. But he told me it has be replaced with an "upgraded" part as well as my pressure plate being replaced as well. In terms of the TOB, it is/can be a potential problem. Seeing how this happened right after stage 1, I'm not to sure if it was just a freak failure or if its due to the extra power. I guess I will baby ole girl for a few days to see how everything goes.