GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help with suspension setup needed

shaikhasm

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello all,
I want a suspension combo that is really comfortable for daily driving but still don't sacrifice much of the stability of the car. I was thinking of getting Koni FSD with DG springs, Bilstein HD and DG springs, or keep stock springs and get FSD or Bilstein HD alone. The max I might do is go to some autox here and there for fun so I don't need to have the stiffest setup. I am looking for people experience about these. which is more comfortable of these? and how does it perform?
edit:Also if you want to suggest another setup feel free to do that

Last edited:

WAP

Go Kart Champion
You want a comfortable, stable DD'er? Keep it stock. VW suspension engineers know waaaay more about suspension set ups than you.:thumbsup:

imho...

shaikhasm

Passed Driver's Ed
You want a comfortable, stable DD'er? Keep it stock. VW suspension engineers know waaaay more about suspension set ups than you.:thumbsup:

imho...

I am sure they know better than me and you. But I know that engineers in VW have other goals besides "best" in their mind. They have to worry about cost, ease of production and profit. Maybe more things that I don't know about too. I guess we can agree that not everyone think the one size fits all mindset for the whole car suites them. otherwise there wouldn't be modding market. A simple example would be the soundaktor. While VW engineers thought it was a good thing to add, most of us here hate it.

I know my posts are way fewer than your's but please don't undermine me for it.

shaikhasm

Passed Driver's Ed
HPA SHS coilovers. Great ride and good handling
While I would love to keep it to shocks/struts and springs if the coilovers are more comfortable and perform better I might be inclined to increase my price range. so is the price difference worth it? I mean I don't care about the height adjustability of the coilovers so is the price difference worth the performance and comfort?
edit: how does it compare to your setup? (FK silverline)

shaikhasm

Passed Driver's Ed
Also I have zero knoledge about coilovers so how do they wear and what/when does things needs to be replaced? can they be aligned to factory spec?

c72k

Go Kart Champion
While I would love to keep it to shocks/struts and springs if the coilovers are more comfortable and perform better I might be inclined to increase my price range. so is the price difference worth it? I mean I don't care about the height adjustability of the coilovers so is the price difference worth the performance and comfort?
edit: how does it compare to your setup? (FK silverline)

Also I have zero knoledge about coilovers so how do they wear and what/when does things needs to be replaced? can they be aligned to factory spec?

The price difference is worth it, imo, because once you see the car low, you will always want it lower. The coils can do that, the spring/shock setup cannot. If you truly do not care about lowering or raising the car, stick with the spring/shock combo. The coils will probably ride a bit stiffer than the spring/shock combo. The main thing here is the height adjustability. While I do not think my coils ride rough or harsh, they are much stiffer than stock and the HPA SHS. Some people seem to mind the ride quality more than others, but from what I have experienced/read, it is not as bad as people make it out to be. My setup (silverline plus) is height and dampening adjustable. Dampening is essentially how firm(stiff) or soft the ride it. (To adjust, you turn the top part of the struts) When I take corners, I have very little body roll because I am almost all the way to the stiffest setting on mine. The reason I bought them is that I wanted to be able to slam the hell out of the car, and control how it rides.

When you (or the shop) installs the coils or springs, they take the place of the factory struts and shocks (google a pic of coilovers and you will see.) The strut mounts, which are the rubber things that are on top of the front struts need to be replaced, and so do the bearings, which sit in the mounts. There are a couple of bolts that will need to be replaced as well. Whichever route you go, they will last for quite awhile. Usually, unless you are slammed and running aggressive setups, the wheels will be aligned to factory spec.

I tried to answer all your questions, let me know if you have anymore:)

Danz5k1

Ready to race!
My preferred upgrade for no hassle and all results:

Choose:
1. Koni STRT + Eibach Pro-Kit, or
2. Bilstein B8 + Eibach Sportsline/Pro kit

Add:
Superpro front control arms bushings, anti lift kit, roll center adjuster
H&R Swaybars 26/22
Powergrid endlinks front and rear
Tyrol subframe collar kit front and rear

Optional:
Ground Control camber plate
Unibrace RB and UB

Comfort and control couldn't get any easier than the above combo.

vrBilstein86

Ready to race!
Hello all,
I want a suspension combo that is really comfortable for daily driving but still don't sacrifice much of the stability of the car. I was thinking of getting Koni FSD with DG springs, Bilstein HD and DG springs, or keep stock springs and get FSD or Bilstein HD alone. The max I might do is go to some autox here and there for fun so I don't need to have the stiffest setup. I am looking for people experience about these. which is more comfortable of these? and how does it perform?
edit:Also if you want to suggest another setup feel free to do that

One of the most comfortable set up's would be the Bilstein B8's with a set of DG springs. Bilstein also offers a kit (B12) which includes Eibach springs. Either way, you will get a better than factory ride, not excessive but certainly a decent drop, and you'll be able to autox if you choose. I have plenty of experience with suspensions on the GTI, and for what its worth, I have ran this exact set up on the Nürburgring without issue. Night and day once installed.

shaikhasm

Passed Driver's Ed
The price difference is worth it, imo, because once you see the car low, you will always want it lower. The coils can do that, the spring/shock setup cannot. If you truly do not care about lowering or raising the car, stick with the spring/shock combo. The coils will probably ride a bit stiffer than the spring/shock combo. The main thing here is the height adjustability. While I do not think my coils ride rough or harsh, they are much stiffer than stock and the HPA SHS. Some people seem to mind the ride quality more than others, but from what I have experienced/read, it is not as bad as people make it out to be. My setup (silverline plus) is height and dampening adjustable. Dampening is essentially how firm(stiff) or soft the ride it. (To adjust, you turn the top part of the struts) When I take corners, I have very little body roll because I am almost all the way to the stiffest setting on mine. The reason I bought them is that I wanted to be able to slam the hell out of the car, and control how it rides.

When you (or the shop) installs the coils or springs, they take the place of the factory struts and shocks (google a pic of coilovers and you will see.) The strut mounts, which are the rubber things that are on top of the front struts need to be replaced, and so do the bearings, which sit in the mounts. There are a couple of bolts that will need to be replaced as well. Whichever route you go, they will last for quite awhile. Usually, unless you are slammed and running aggressive setups, the wheels will be aligned to factory spec.

I tried to answer all your questions, let me know if you have anymore:)
From what you said I think I am going spring/shock

So the question know which is more comfortable and stable, fsd w/ dg springs or belstien hd (b6) with dg springs

My preferred upgrade for no hassle and all results:

Choose:
1. Koni STRT + Eibach Pro-Kit, or
2. Bilstein B8 + Eibach Sportsline/Pro kit

Add:
Superpro front control arms bushings, anti lift kit, roll center adjuster
H&R Swaybars 26/22
Powergrid endlinks front and rear
Tyrol subframe collar kit front and rear

Optional:
Ground Control camber plate
Unibrace RB and UB

Comfort and control couldn't get any easier than the above combo.
I think this setup would be good but less comfortable than stock and with roads here being like that I can't take it

it wouldn't let me quote all of the replies here so I'll put the last reply separately

shaikhasm

Passed Driver's Ed
To: vrBilstein86

Ok so you're saying the b8 will be more comfortable with dg springs than the b6 (HD). What are the pros or cons of going with either as I thought the B6 would be more comfortable

Danz5k1

Ready to race!
From what you said I think I am going spring/shock

So the question know which is more comfortable and stable, fsd w/ dg springs or belstien hd (b6) with dg springs

I think this setup would be good but less comfortable than stock and with roads here being like that I can't take it

it wouldn't let me quote all of the replies here so I'll put the last reply separately

Not at all actually. Go for Koni STRT with standard spring if you like, but the shock/spring combo I have mentioned are not at all uncomfortable. Actually it is more comfortable than stock. Been doing it for 8 to 10 Golfs.

Shore GTI

Ready to race!
You can use Bilstein b6 with OEM, or DG springs.
If ride height isn't important, You can improve comfort,
& handling with b6 shocks alone.
If you the install DG/b6 combo, then later decide to return to stock springs,
You can do it without replacing the shocks again.

vrBilstein86

Ready to race!
To: vrBilstein86

Ok so you're saying the b8 will be more comfortable with dg springs than the b6 (HD). What are the pros or cons of going with either as I thought the B6 would be more comfortable

Hi there,

What I am saying, is if you either decide to keep the factory ride height or lower it with a set of aftermarket springs, Bilstein would be the ideal shock to use. The Bilstein B6 and the B8's are very similar...One of the only differences is the overall extended length of the piston rod. Meaning, that the B8's are a little shorter in length in order to accommodate a lowered spring. So if you have every intent on sticking with the factory ride height but wanting to improve your ride over factory, then I recommend the B6. Best bang for your buck and even includes a Lifetime warranty. If you want to sit a lil lower (use of a lowered spring), improve your ride over factory, and gain some performance, then you will want to use the B8's.

I believe someone else mentioned that you could use DG springs with B6's, you certainly could as a 15mm drop that you get from the DG's would not warrant the need of a shorter traveled shock.

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
Not at all actually. Go for Koni STRT with standard spring if you like, but the shock/spring combo I have mentioned are not at all uncomfortable. Actually it is more comfortable than stock. Been doing it for 8 to 10 Golfs.

koni srt over yellows?