GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP

alvin24

Ready to race!
It seems like no one wants to answer this question on the proper forum in ELECTRONICS. Maybe you guys can assist.

I am considering putting a stereo system/NAV in a 2010 gti with a 10" subwoofer and an amp. Upon contacting the service dept at VW. They stated that who ever does the work should be caution of the wires due to complex wiring it has along with the sensors. One stated that if installed wrong, one problem I could come across is when it comes time to do a smog check it could not pass due to wrong install or wiring.

Is this something I should avoid of doing?

Second part is, if I decide to do this. What should the technician know about installing a stereo system in a 2010 gti?

Really need your advise here guys, thank you.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Wrong forum

lulz

1st part-

Douche Bag answer: Why do you need a woofer? The stock system sounds lovely.

Nice answer: YOU should avoid doing anything yourself and take it to a car stereo shop

2nd part- The technician should know EVERYTHING if hes going to install this on your GTI. Why take it to a technician if he doesnt know his electrical stuff already?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Sometimes I think it's a waste of time asking on this forum.

I think its a waste of time for some people to come on this forum and ask questions without searching.

Its common since. If you want a 10" subwoofer and dont know anything about the car, then take it to a professional. They will help you a lot more than we can. All we'll end up doing is giving you opinions and steering the topic into a crazy whirlpool of jokes. Obviously if you knew how to install one, you wouldnt be asking these questions. You'll end up getting a faster and MUCH BETTER answer from someone at a car stereo shop. Not best buy or anything like that, but a real car stereo shop. Hell I'll give you the number to a good shop here in Alabama if all you want to do is get some information.

People just cant do any of this on their own, so they come to the forums and want instant answers.

\ rant

my old man is showing

alvin24

Ready to race!
I think its a waste of time for some people to come on this forum and ask questions without searching.

Its common since. If you want a 10" subwoofer and dont know anything about the car, then take it to a professional. They will help you a lot more than we can. All we'll end up doing is giving you opinions and steering the topic into a crazy whirlpool of jokes. Obviously if you knew how to install one, you wouldnt be asking these questions. You'll end up getting a faster and MUCH BETTER answer from someone at a car stereo shop. Not best buy or anything like that, but a real car stereo shop. Hell I'll give you the number to a good shop here in Alabama if all you want to do is get some information.

People just cant do any of this on their own, so they come to the forums and want instant answers.

\ rant

my old man is showing

What the hell do you think im doing (SEARCHING). Some of these so called professional shop are not so educated in what they do and maybe sometimes they just want your freaking money. They'll tell me what I want to hear install the damm thing and leave me with additional problems wise guy. Professional huh... I checked 4 Professional and only wanted my business and can care less of what happens with a voided warranty after words. After they install the freaking thing, they'll also come up with limited warranty and cannot repair other issues that's up those professionals? Give me a number so I can drive my ass to Alabama WTF. One good advise after another. Tell you what; why don't you drive around your gti instead of wasting people's time, smart ass who has plenty of time on his hands. Probably a mama's boy who got fed with a silver tea spoon.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
lulz

loosen up my friend.

Think what you want. I was actually trying to help you. Never said drive the AL, you think I'm crazy and THAT stupid? ReRead the post and it clearly states ONLY IF YOU WANT INFORMATION (I personally know the guy. Has an EE degree and has been doing it for 20 years). You live in Cali what makes you think I would drag your ass to one of the worst states in the US? :laugh:

So i'll answer your question with a bit of a twist

go to www.golfmkv.com/forums and go to their electronic section

Since the wiring is almost IDENTICALLY the same search their forums and figure out your solution. I pray that helps you cause God knows you might blow up on them.

A lot of people forget that the mkv and the mkvi are practically the same. So none of the mkvi forums will have this information. Try searching there. they have pictures too that can help greatly.

Hope that helps...Seriously

phew

jgs5607

Ready to race!
You may want to try Crutchfield.

Those guys really research the cars they sell products for and have everything you need to do a proper installation down to custom harnesses to tap in to the factory wiring system with proper mating plugs.

I do not know if you have already purchased your equipment yet, but when you buy from them you get all of the stuff to do the installation including detailed instruction on how to remove the radio, door panels and anything else with detailed instructions.

If you run in to issues, their technical service dept is outstanding. Hate to sound like a commercial for them, but with about 8 installations I have done (many with multiple amps and subs) I have never had any issue with the equipment or service from them.

Hope this helps steer you in the right direction.