GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hesitation 2nd-3rd

07stuntin6r

Ready to race!
So my car has 5500 miles and GIAC stage 2 with full exhaust intake and forge twintercooler. Just recently I noticed when in D it has a slight hesistation when going 2nd>3rd. Idk what is causing this but it is annoying and it doesn't do it when I go slow it always does when I give it a little more than a easy pedal...really curious what's causing this...I do have R8 coils as well.

I experience this as well, so do others (different tunes). Sounds as if DV releasing too soon, and or boost surge?

There is long thread over at vwvortex.

I just try and drive harder, and roll into it more than to do half-throttle.

07stuntin6r

Ready to race!
I experience this as well, so do others (different tunes). Sounds as if DV releasing too soon, and or boost surge?

There is long thread over at vwvortex.

I just try and drive harder, and roll into it more than to do half-throttle.

Yeah I do have a DV+ as well...just wanted to make sure it isn't an issue with my intercooler hoses etc

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I do have a DV+ as well...just wanted to make sure it isn't an issue with my intercooler hoses etc

It's not an issue with the hoses. A lot of people have this issue though..

I am going to assume it's cold where you are, so I won't mention heat soak (which will feel like lag). By me (FL), before I got a huge stock-location IC, I could feel this hesitation during the lower gears... it was just heat soak.

If your DV isn't opening properly, the air will reverse or slow the spinning of the turbine causing the car to spin it up again when you shift (which may be perceived as lag). Check the DV installation, remove the DV+ and see if it continues. I doubt it's the DV+ though.

07stuntin6r

Ready to race!

I am going to assume it's cold where you are, so I won't mention heat soak (which will feel like lag). By me (FL), before I got a huge stock-location IC, I could feel this hesitation during the lower gears... it was just heat soak.

If your DV isn't opening properly, the air will reverse or slow the spinning of the turbine causing the car to spin it up again when you shift (which may be perceived as lag). Check the DV installation, remove the DV+ and see if it continues. I doubt it's the DV+ though.

Well I'm located in fl as well....panhandle area. Yeah idk this just started and a couple weeks after my Intercooler install. Thinking of going the cts turbo BOV kit if it's the dv+.

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
Well I'm located in fl as well....panhandle area. Yeah idk this just started and a couple weeks after my Intercooler install. Thinking of going the cts turbo BOV kit if it's the dv+.

It's probably not the DV+ though. Definitely worth trying to remove it and going back to normal DV though.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion

Well I have had the dv+ for 4k miles and it's never done this before.

I believe I have the same issue, and it persists regardless of DV+ being installed or not.

The issue is when you shift from 2nd to 3rd, or sometimes 3rd to 4th (usually 3rd to 4th for me); as soon as you hit the higher gear and release the clutch to go WOT again, the car acts like it's not getting boost. I've checked my boost when this happens, and it's usually stuck at about 3-5psi.
There's a guy that has logs of it happening as well, and it appears as though the throttle body just isn't opening.

APR has said the issue is that VW put safety measures in place of some sort to protect some component; they supposedly know what it is and how to work around it, but they haven't implemented it and won't say specifically what it is because they don't want their competitors to do it before them. At this point I don't understand why they can't just love the community they work for and at least let us know what's causing it since they are likely not going to update our files any more.

I have two theories, but both cost money and aren't really the easiest to test because they take time.
First is a throttle body spacer. I've heard quite a few people say that after they got W/M, the issue went away (though this isn't always the case, which leads me to believe this may not actually be the resolution). I have a throttle body spacer, I just need the time to put it on and see if it will stop the issue from happening, but it could take a couple months or longer before I actually know because of the randomness of the issue.

The other thing that might be to blame is the DV solenoid itself, which isnt replaced in the DV+ kit. This is purely my thought, because it's the only thing that I don't think has really been checked by anyone that I know of. It would back sense, in my mind, that the issue could be the solenoid failing to fully open, resulting in only minimal boost until you lift your foot and reapply it, causing the solenoid to close and then reopen, at which point I usually get full boost again.

My DV, without the DV kit, whines at WOT at the peak of the curve in 2nd 3rd and 4th gears. I have the newest Rev D, and it was in perfectly good shape before I replaced it with the DV+. I kind of want to go to a junk yard and see if I can find one to put on my car just to test that theory out. I don't want to buy a new one to have it do the same thing, but I'm almost to the point where it's just about worth it, just to fucking try.

This issue sucks...had way too many cars that were able to keep up with me when I race them because of this issue, when they definitely shouldn't have been able to...:lol:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Yeah this seems to be an issue for both DSG and 6mt.

I just recently went stage 2. When I installed the DP with stage 1 still loaded, I got the TB cuts. When I was flashed to stage 2, I didn't have these TB cuts for about a week, but they're back.

So it seems the ECU adaptation has something to do with the cuts as well. I should note that I do still get them after resetting the ECU.

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
Just to clarify my stance, I made it clear that I DID NOT think the DV+ was the issue. I simply stated that if you're removing it to instal something else, you might as well try the OEM DV by itself without the DV+.

My personal belief is that it's in the ECU (safety measure), the DV has a problem staying shut with that fast of a response, or its in the tune.

I have NEVER had this problem, so I cannot offer real experience. But, if it's the response time of the DV, then you should check out the Synapse DV (which I have). It's fully mechanical, and fully adjustable in a push or pull function. It's pretty much instantaneous. No weird flutter or hesitation.

07stuntin6r

Ready to race!
Just to clarify my stance, I made it clear that I DID NOT think the DV+ was the issue. I simply stated that if you're removing it to instal something else, you might as well try the OEM DV by itself without the DV+.

My personal belief is that it's in the ECU (safety measure), the DV has a problem staying shut with that fast of a response, or its in the tune.

I have NEVER had this problem, so I cannot offer real experience. But, if it's the response time of the DV, then you should check out the Synapse DV (which I have). It's fully mechanical, and fully adjustable in a push or pull function. It's pretty much instantaneous. No weird flutter or hesitation.

Hmmm seem like the way to go is to replace the whole dv system. Before I do that I will try my stock rev D and see if that resolves the issue. I honestly want a CTS turbo BoV kit and do the DV relocation. I don't ever recall the car doing this stock before my dv+ but I also did it within 1k.

07stuntin6r

Ready to race!
Also anybody else notice that it only does it when engine is hot. When I started my car this morning it doesn't do it u til the engine hears up more. I'm wondering if a dv relocation will resolve this and if anyone that had relocated there still experience the issue...

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
How hot does the car have to get? There are a few different operating modes when this engine starts up:
  • Open loop: O2 sensors are too cold for the engine to adjust fueling based on A/F ratio feedback
  • Reduced power mode: Until the coolant has surpassed a certain temperature, or run for a certain length of time, the ECU will limit the engine load to protect against excessive wear
  • Readiness passage - I don't think readiness will change the way the car operates, but something to throw out there just in case it has an impact on this issue