GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hesitation at 5,400 rpms and full throttle

AM407

Autocross Champion
Car is a 2010 GTI with 80,000 kms, 6MT, and bone stock (except for wheels & tires).

It doesn't happen all the time, but has been pretty consistent for the last little while: when accelerating at full throttle in third or fourth, the car pulls strong (for stock, of course ;) ) until 5,400 rpm, then there's just a tiny hiccup where it loses power a bit, then keeps on pulling strong until redline (and past).

It doesn't happen every time, but when it does it's always at 5,400 rpm. No CEL, no vibrations of anything weird, just a momentary hesitation.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

steemax

Go Kart Champion
If you are bone stock... then I'd start with the fuel filter first since it sounds like the typical fuel cut.

Thats imo

AM407

Autocross Champion
I bet plugs/coilpacks.

Yeah, not sure why it would only happen at that specific rpm, but sounds possible to me.

Thinking about it some more, I think my car has always had just a tiny bit of a flat spot at 5,400 rpm. Just seems like it's turned into a real hesitation now.

Car is almost due for plugs, so think I'll just replace them now. Coils are cheap, so may as well change those too while I'm at it.

Last edited:

AM407

Autocross Champion
In case anyone with a similar issue stumbles upon this, I replaced plugs, coil packs and also fuel filter a month ago and that hesitation has now disappeared. My gut feeling is that it was the coils, but can't say for sure as everything was replaced at the same time.

I also had a minor stumble/hesitation when cruising at very light throttle around 2,900 rpm - that has also disappeared now.

Simple fixes FTW!

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
In case anyone with a similar issue stumbles upon this, I replaced plugs, coil packs and also fuel filter a month ago and that hesitation has now disappeared. My gut feeling is that it was the coils, but can't say for sure as everything was replaced at the same time.

I also had a minor stumble/hesitation when cruising at very light throttle around 2,900 rpm - that has also disappeared now.

Simple fixes FTW!

what kind of plugs did you get? link?

same with coil packs? link?

valj

Ready to race!
It looks like your in-tank fuel pump is dying!