GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Horrible Tick

McQueen77

Banned
i related a story similar to this months back, before i was chipped, on one of these to chip or not to chip threads and it went something like this:

i was being shuttled back home from vw pasadena while they fixed my windnoise problem and the driver and i were talking about the gti. he asked me if i was tuned, i said no but that i was thinking about it and he said that a guy recently came in who had the same thing happen as OP. Downshifted from 5th or something doing like 85 into 2nd gear and did some mega damage to his engine. Bent a rod, some other things.. When he brought it in, he put it back to stock and they scanned it and found he was tuned.

VW Pasadena refused to even work on it, period. They also told VW Alhambra about it (same owner).. so the guy was on his own. He tried to play dumb but the tech was like 'no way this kind of damage just happens, had to be drivers fault.' he explained what happened and they sent him packing. This is how it was told to me. Dont know how much truth is in it.

Keep us posted though OP. Will be interesting to see what they say to you. I dont think you're a dirtbag for hoping that it will be covered under warranty. I think you are a little delusional, but hey, if VW will cover it, why not? Who on here would tell the dealer "oh no guys, thats very generous of you, but I got this one.."? Gimme a break. The guy was driving like a psycho and missed a shift. Who would want to pay for those damages? No one. Repairs will probably be like, a LOT of money. I would just totally honest about what happened and see what they say. If they cover it, you won the lottery.

JasonH

Ready to race!
I would be absolutely shocked and astounded if VW covers this... The warranty is for defects, not damage caused by shifting into the wrong gear, ignoring the hesitation from the syncros and clutch, and forcing the engine well over its mechanical limit.

Trying to blame the car or VW for your error is insane; this is why they offer the car with a DSG...

SlowS3

Ready to race!
dsg is for posers.. i had an incident with my VW dealer about my transmission being rough/grinding from 1st to 2nd gear, so i took my car in and the dealership kept telling me its fine.. so the transmission began to get worse and worse.. so after 4 months they finally decide to open my tranny and they see that my transmissions teeth are really broken, and they began to tell me that this was my fault and that it was not going to be under warranty.. i managed to talk to the service manager and the dealer manager and told them this is why i brought back my car 4 months ago and you never wanted to open and see the problem.. i told them do you expect the transmission to fix itself?, long story short they rebuilt my 2nd gear and didn't void my warranty. Talk to managers and be honest... only 2 things can happen 1) they fix it. 2) your S.O.L

XZT123

Ready to race!
and why exactly is dsg for posers?

McQueen77

Banned
If DSG is for pussies is in your signature, psych 101 implies to me that deep down, you're insecure about choosing the DSG. Little reverse psychology for you.

Last edited:

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
If DSG is for pussies is in your signature, psych 101 implies to me that deep down, you're insecure about choosing the DSG. Little reverse psychology for you.

XZT123

Ready to race!
:threadjacked:

Lol cant drive a stick? If you really want to enjoy a sports car dont go auto.

My other car is a 8th gen civic si (only comes in manual). Manuals are fun, but DSG is different kinda nice. If you don't know about it, I can understand why you wouldn't get it.

Gadier said:
my transmission being rough/grinding from 1st to 2nd gear, so i took my car in and the dealership kept telling me its fine.. so the transmission began to get worse and worse..

P.S. If you knew how to drive a stick, maybe your transmission wouldn't be jacked up. :lol: