GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How hard do you drive your 2.5L?

Mikeymeatball1

Passed Driver's Ed
I like to baby my golf, shift at like 22-2600rpm, but I do like the sound of my exhaust, and I really enjoy driving it hard at times.

As to other posts in the thread, this isn't a fast car, but its not at all slow. Overall it a lot of fun to drive and a lot faster than my mk3 jetta was, that's for sure. I've driven a few " fast cars" my buddy's stage 2 mk4 Gti, speed3, Audi a6 3.0t and having all that power at your dispose is awesome don't get me wrong, but I feel like id get Into a lot of trouble with all that power. I dont know, this made sense in my head, reads kinda dumb hahah.

Mikeymeatball1

Passed Driver's Ed
I like to baby my golf, shift at like 22-2600rpm, but I do like the sound of my exhaust, and I really enjoy driving it hard at times.

As to other posts in the thread, this isn't a fast car, but its not at all slow. Overall it a lot of fun to drive and a lot faster than my mk3 jetta was, that's for sure. I've driven a few " fast cars" my buddy's stage 2 mk4 Gti, speed3, Audi a6 3.0t and having all that power at your dispose is awesome don't get me wrong, but I feel like id get Into a lot of trouble with all that power. I dont know, this made sense in my head, reads kinda dumb hahah.

twodotfive

Ready to race!
My fire breathing racecar is just as unimpressive as yours. I drive a Golf, as stated in my previous posts.

If it's that unimpressive to you then maybe you should have bought a cheaper economy car. There are a lot of cars out there that are cheaper than your golf that do great at going 80mph or less.

isons429

Ready to race!
My fire breathing racecar is just as unimpressive as yours. I drive a Golf, as stated in my previous posts.

The big difference is that I am not bashing on anyone for driving their car how they want to. No one here is saying that their 2.5 is fast, but that they like to drive quickly, there is a difference. I have no illusions that my car is fast, but I like to take off ramps and turns quickly because I enjoy it. Am I driving at insane speeds and sub 5 second 0-60 times, NO. Am I enjoying the handling of my car and trying to push it to its limits, YES. If you don't want to drive like that, good for you, but don't tell people that they are delusional for thinking that they can have fun driving their car quickly. You do not need a fast car to drive quickly, maybe you have heard of a car called a Miata that has very low power but is a blast to drive...

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
Basically, same concept of a Fiat 500, or Mazda Miata/MX-5 or any small car. Fun to drive in corners because of short wheel base, not incredible fast, but over all, will still put a smile on your face as you go through twisties.

Yes, you can have bigger, faster cars (Ford Mustang, Subaru STi, etc.) that definitely are more powerful, and can be lots of fun to thrash about. But that same kind of fun can be had in our small 2.5L just as well.

We aren't asking everyone in a 2.5L to go crazy with their car (many people get it for a daily commuter and that is what it was designed for), but some people like us will enjoy it for it's normal uses, and also the uses that enthusiast enjoy a car for ;) :thumbsup:

ChiGuyGolf2.5

Ready to race!
Most of us here grew up "racing" whatever we could get our hands on. We started racing our toy cars, that grew into racing our friends on our bikes, which has now turned into our VW Golf 2.5. I am 23 years old with a brand new car that I pay for MYSELF. I know its not as fast as a few cars out there, but I would say its in the upper 50%, especially with how fuel standards have nerfed so many production models these days. When I get older, I can assure you I will have something fast and expensive. For now, I am doing what I can with what I have available.

Anyway, you can "race" anything. Is it a waste of money to mod a 2.5? Maybe. Do I give a shit? No. So if your going to troll, at least do it at the Toyota Corolla S forums.

Goobax

Ready to race!
If it's that unimpressive to you then maybe you should have bought a cheaper economy car. There are a lot of cars out there that are cheaper than your golf that do great at going 80mph or less.

I pay 230 a month, it's not an expensive car in the slightest. I never said it was a bad car, I just said I am not one who drives it hard all the while making motors sounds in my head like I am in some fast and furious movie.

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
I pay 230 a month, it's not an expensive car in the slightest. I never said it was a bad car, I just said I am not one who drives it hard all the while making motors sounds in my head like I am in some fast and furious movie.

Not if you get an intake and/or exhaust. ;)

The Carbonio intake definitely gives the car a new dimension in sound. Does it make it "faster", not really. Does it give a slightly better throttle response and gas mileage, a tad bit. Does it sound awesome rev'd past 2500 RPMs from 2nd gear up, YUP. :D Exhaust may be in the works, but that is for another day/save up.

Like I basically said, enjoy the car how you like it and want to do with it. Some of us like to push our cars a little more than the average user, and that's fine. Some of us don't see the need to, and that's fine as well. :thumbsup:

twodotfive

Ready to race!

Just saying that there really is no need to bash anytime someone mentions that they like taking a corner at higher than recommended speeds in anything other than a gti (on this forum).

lol...Motor sounds? If you haven't noticed, this engine sounds pretty good on its own.

Ideal214

Passed Driver's Ed
I still have warranty until 75000 miles so I push the shit out of mine every chance I get . I still tend to drive normal when im short on gas money so I'll get 32-35 mpg when im broke andn 21-26 when im on full tank lol.:23:

TRUE its a golf not a gti but with some of the mods in the works I've seen people developing and fabrication we will soon see a huge increase in performance. For example the intake manifold being created not sure who it was by but its specifically for the 2.5l already pushing 40+ hp on top of the 170 and thats just in its prototype stages. so I'm excited to see what the future brings.

Ideal214

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, really. If you fool yourself into thinking this car is quick, fast, or anything in between you are delusional or have never driven a car that actually is quick/fast. But hey as long as you think you have a race car, by all means have at it.

Theres a post on here where a 2.5l owner with just basic mods ran a 0-60 in about 6 sec thats as fast as the gti with no boost.

I still have warranty until 75000 miles so I push the shit out of mine every chance I get . I still tend to drive normal when im short on gas money so I'll get 32-35 mpg when im broke andn 21-26 when im on full tank lol.:23:

TRUE its a golf not a gti but with some of the mods in the works I've seen people developing and fabrication we will soon see a huge increase in performance. For example the intake manifold being created not sure who it was by but its specifically for the 2.5l already pushing 40+ hp on top of the 170 and thats just in its prototype stages. so I'm excited to see what the future brings.

that's at crank though. realistically it would be like 25 whp.

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
that's at crank though. realistically it would be like 25 whp.

Actually, because it is front wheel drive, drivetrain loss isn't that much, so if he is getting 40+hp at the crank, he is probably getting ~30bhp to the wheels.

lotstar

S-mode in this car isn't bad at all. Yeah i drive hard. Well for city driving. Left foot braking in 90 degree corners.:word: