GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much should my suspension install cost?

gtibot

Ready to race!
I was just quoted by a shop for 5-6 hours at $80/hour... without any alignment.

I was expecting $300 tops for the full install, is this way off?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I installed my springs and RSB with a friend in his driveway - took about 2.5 hours.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Go to another shop - shouldn't take more than 2.5-3.5 hours w/o an alignment.

joeeee

Ready to race!
yeah thats a tad high, you should be looking at 320-350.

he's in canada though, don't they pay more for everything anyways, i always see prices on items for US and canada and their prices are always more expensive. cant really compare our market to their market. i paid 250 flat for install without alignment.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
he's in canada though, don't they pay more for everything anyways, i always see prices on items for US and canada and their prices are always more expensive. cant really compare our market to their market. i paid 250 flat for install without alignment.

missed that. yeah i was in us dollars.:D:D

FasDarken

Ready to race!
missed that. yeah i was in us dollars.:D:D

um....$1 usd is $0.98 cdn right now....currency is not why its more money....things over here are just stupid expensive in comparison to in the states. example your GTI is ~$10,000 cheaper then ours. That being said, i think the hours seem high OP.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
$0 Just do it yourself.

I dont understand why people dont want to put stuff on themselves. If you're going to mod your car, you need to understand it a bit better and not have everyone do it for you. $150 will get you a floor jack and jack stands. that'll easily be paid for in your suspension install.

gtibot

Ready to race!
thanks for the input everyone, i figured it was high...

and to grambles, i'd be willing to figure out how to do it but i have no space, tools, and more importantly time. i'm sure it just sounds like excuses but it is what it is.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
thanks for the input everyone, i figured it was high...

and to grambles, i'd be willing to figure out how to do it but i have no space, tools, and more importantly time. i'm sure it just sounds like excuses but it is what it is.

Some shops will charge a smaller labor rate if you sit in and help them. You help them, they teach you....everyone is happy.

Wouldnt hurt asking at least. I did that when I was 16, paid off in the end. I paid 30 bucks to help install my lift kit on my truck. I learned a lot and it definitely inspired some confidence.

Let us know how it goes.

AdvanSuper

Banned
$0 Just do it yourself.

I dont understand why people dont want to put stuff on themselves. If you're going to mod your car, you need to understand it a bit better and not have everyone do it for you. $150 will get you a floor jack and jack stands. that'll easily be paid for in your suspension install.

1. They don't have the space
2. They don't have the tools
3. They don't have the time
4. They don't feel comfortable doing it
5. They don't have the knowledge
6. It's better to have someone else do it if they think they will mess up
7. In most cases if a person doesn't know something and something goes wrong they can't be without a car
8. I can go on and on with reasons why people don't do their own work and there's nothing wrong with going to a shop and getting it done.

Why doesn't a baby change its own diaper? It's just a dumb question.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
1. They don't have the space Find space or go to a friend's
2. They don't have the tools Renting is a viable and cheap option, but I see your point, refer to the post above yours
3. They don't have the time I'm sure anyone could make time. People have waited months before they had time. Its about how much you really want it, but again I see your point.
4. They don't feel comfortable doing it refer to the post above yours
5. They don't have the knowledge Refer to the post above yours or have them search. Thats what these forums are for. Its a stretch to think someone could ever do it, but its a viable option. I would hope not EVERYONE is an idiot
6. It's better to have someone else do it if they think they will mess up Refer to the post above yours, but I see your point. Nobody in America these days ever waants to take liability for their actions
7. In most cases if a person doesn't know something and something goes wrong they can't be without a car This one I can 100% agree with, but....it helps with good problem solving skills. But solution to reason #4 and #5 would alleviate this
8. I can go on and on with reasons why people don't do their own work and there's nothing wrong with going to a shop and getting it done. I agree theres nothing wrong but I will say its a bit ironic and an oxymoron for someone to be a car enthusiast and know nothing of working on cars

Why doesn't a baby change its own diaper? It's just a dumb question. Apples and oranges. It would be more like the baby loving to shit and not knowing how

You see my point?

AdvanSuper

Banned
I agree theres nothing wrong but I will say its a bit ironic and an oxymoron for someone to be a car enthusiast and know nothing of working on cars

You need to wake up because more than 1/2 of the users on any forum are going to shops to have work done. A car enthusiast doesn't need to work on his own car to be an enthusiast. I don't see your point because if someone wanted to do it themselves then they would have done so. For you to sit there are say you're not an enthusiast is just plain silly.

Also for any shop owner who lets a customer come in and help with their install is a moron due to possible insurance implications if the customer was seriously injured.

Last edited:

Carbon_RichMK6

Passed Driver's Ed
such an angry thread.. jeez.

i take my car to the shop for my mods.. its not because i don't know anything about cars (i know a ton about cars), its just that they know a lot more.. and they have the experience to make sure its done right the first time.. there is a difference between knowledge and experience.

Karl Troy at European Road and Racing works on my car and quite frankly i don't trust anyone more than i trust him under my hood!

thats just my 2 cents..