GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How often do you go WOT everyday?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
May I refer you to this interesting piece of research by one of our members. He calculated out for both DSG and 6M setups, based on the maximum torque going to the wheels from each gear to the next. This is for stage 2 as the title suggests, so captain K04 may have to do his own math :D

APR Stage 2 shift points

Cliff notes...

His calculations were, while not off base, incorrect. Notice MY comments in the thread alone. Nobody considers drag force while doing this. It can vary the shift point RPM anywhere from 100-800RPM

May I refer you to THIS thread, Read my responses:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28753&page=2

Last edited:

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Good points, and thanks for the link (more info is more better). :thumbsup:

No problem :thumbsup:

Its kind of strange it happened in a vs thread that has NOTHING to do with shift points. Thats the sort of discussion that just gets breezed across when people are searching for optimal shift points lol

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Its kind of strange it happened in a vs thread that has NOTHING to do with shift points. Thats the sort of discussion that just gets breezed across when people are searching for optimal shift points lol

Unfortunately it fizzled out and never really finished off, but I don't think you can answer the question definitively anyway. Too many variables with traction in 1-2... and probably in 3 for you now that your K04'd. :D

Different tires, different surfaces, different temperatures of surfaces and tires... the list goes on. Really, it comes down to the driver having experience with the car as it's set up, and adjusting to what's going on.

But the important thing is to keep this thread on topic, which means the final answer is: to get good at this you must go WOT every day. :thumbsup:

AdamC

Ready to race!
But the important thing is to keep this thread on topic, which means the final answer is: to get good at this you must go WOT every day. :thumbsup:

:thumbup:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
:facepalm:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
haha. It's all good, man. No harm done.

I figured. lol I do agree with the Prius comment though, I dont know if theres any other car that provides a more negative connotation to it, even outside the entusiast's realm. Well,...maybe the Aztec.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I figured. lol I do agree with the Prius comment though, I dont know if theres any other car that provides a more negative connotation to it, even outside the entusiast's realm. Well,...maybe the Aztec.

IMO, people who designed and BOUGHT the Pontiac Aztec should be shot with 200 rounds of paintball. Yeah, those two cars are FUGLY.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Almost always WOT. I'm constantly looking for someone to do a quick run against, whether mine is faster or not!

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I'm constantly looking for someone to do a quick run against, whether mine is faster or not!

Kind of funny... when I'm at a red light, I'm always hoping for a quick car too.

Nothing more disappointing than being next to an old beater when you've got a red light and a 65 mph zone in front of you. :(

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
Right now almost never since the roads here are either....covered in snow, covered in ice, or any stage in between. See slush, water+ice combo (how is that even possible?). But when conditions are good, at least once or twice a trip.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Kind of funny... when I'm at a red light, I'm always hoping for a quick car too.

Nothing more disappointing than being next to an old beater when you've got a red light and a 65 mph zone in front of you. :(

Always seems to happen. At least there is a nice cloverleaf I can get my speed fix on a regular basis from! The corners are good when no one wants a piece. I have plenty of protected right turn lanes to blast into!