GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

how often do you wash / polish / wax your car

AZN_C300

Ready to race!
for 10-1,2,3 do you do all 3 of them monthly or pick one of those 3 each time you do your basic detail. I always thought you should choose between either using a sealant or a wax.

As Roastpuff stated, you can layer a wax on top of a sealant. With the sealant underneatth acting as the last line of defense, the wax offers your initial sacrificial layer, while also providing a deeper wet look. I do all three. Of course, 80-90% of what makes it look great is surface paint prep, but you don't want to always keep polishing as you'll eventually wear out the clear over time which you can measure with a paint thickness gauge. This is why I toss on a glaze to mask the imperfections that get picked up over time as my first step, then seal it in as glazes have like no durability.

09vdubgti

Banned
Brain fart, sorry. I fixed the post - I meant clay before waxing. :p

Depends on the paint... some cars (Subaru, Honda, for example) have super soft clearcoat that is easily scratched. If I clay on my Honda... that paint will be marred, no matter how fine of a clay I use, or how much lube I use.

I'd just rather be safe than sorry in this regard. VW paint is still not the greatest.

That is true, I never worked on anything that wasnt built in Germany or South Korea lmao so paint wise yea may be different. But ill have to disagree with you on the paint quality, yea not the greatest but then again we're not buying a 80 grand car here. They give you a really nice amount of clearcoat on the car compared to other car makers like Nissan for example. which is good for the long run but takes more time to polish.

P

plac

before my baby: washed every friday

after baby: try to wash once every 2 weeks....

Randum

Go Kart Champion
I try to wax every 3 weeks depending on how well it stays, everytime I wash (usually every week or two weeks) I use that touch up quick wax. Lot of options available but Klasse is ridiculously awesome.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Wash every weekend including quick detail spray
Wax every month and a half or so.

If I can feel a significant amount of pollutants on the rear hatch and hood, then I'll clay the car. So far I've clayed the car once since I purchased in October last year. I wouldn't use a clay bar unless I could "hear" the deposits in the clear coat when I ran my hand over it.

waqas5742

Questions:

1- Should you wax your car every time you wash it? (either by hand or machine)

2- Should you polish your car every time you wax it? (by hand or machine)

I'm asking this because it seems like a lot of people do the car wash + full detail together or car wash + quick detailer spray

i'm down for washing my car every other week, but i'm really not looking forward to waxing it every time I wash it..
1) NO, Waxing is done on "as needed" basis, if you feel like your car needs it do it otherwise there is no "law" so to speak that you must wax when you wash, just as its upto you when you want to wash your car.

2) NO, same as above.

What I do that saves me time and is convenient is that I wash my car on as-needed basis my self and the every month end I take my car for specialty professional detailing services by Detailxperts. What this does is, it save me time to do other things and get done whats needs to be done.

Vermilion

Ready to race!
I hate cleaning cars, must come from washing trucks and cranes for my dad for years and years. A quick over with a vacuum for the interior and a touchless car wash for the exterior every few months.

McQueen77

Banned
I take it to the same neighborhood handwash place once a week. They know me and do a good job and it's cheap. I get the basic wash and dress the tires, vacuum interior etc. myself. I wax every 3 months or so. Clay once a year.

maluthug

Ready to race!
I plan on detailing my car in a couple weeks for the first time and bought a bunch of stuff to do it on my own. My car is relatively new, Jan '11 but garage kept and only 600 miles on her.

Correct me if im wrong but i plan on doing the following:

1. Pre-Wash w/ Foam gun (Meguiars Gold Shampoo/Conditioner)
2. Rinse
3. 2 Bucket w/ grit guard washing method one panel at a time
4. Rinse
5. Dry with WW towel
6. Clay w/ quick detailer
6. Apply Sealant (Klasse or Zaino Z2)
7. Haze, wipe and allow to set
8. Wax (Meguiars Gold Liquid Car Wax)

I bought this Mequiars Kit off Amazon

Do i need to polish the vehicle too since its new?
Any recommendations for Sealant? If i go with Klasse do i need the AIO too?
Anything missing? Is the Meguiar's Kit good?

Thanks ahead

ms3brendan

Ready to race!
Run it through the wash at least once a week because I have an unlimited car wash pass for $22/mo through a place here on my way home from work lol.