GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

how to drive smooth + fast

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
if you're referring to the "dead zone" as the thing that happens when you shift up and the car almost feels like it can't accelerate then what you should do is just let the rpms go up a little higher before you shift. I typically try to shift right before 3000 but there has been times when I shift up and i get that dead zone.

you mean shift up at a higher rpm? I try to always shift up at 3000 and let go of the clutch by the time the needle reaches 2000-2200 rpm

Last edited:

McQueen77

Banned
Yeah, after re-reading my post, that wasn't exactly what I meant. Its not a real throttle blip like a rev match when down shifting.. Its more like a timing thing where you have your foot on the gas and let off just as you put in the clutch so that you hear a little rev in neutral but not enough to really raise the revs too much and its virtually at the same time as clutching followed a millisecond later by the shift... It sounds lame to try and explain since its something that becomes second nature over time.

This clutch in this car is tricky though I have to admit. I don't always pull off the smoothest shifts, especially if I'm upshifting under heavy load and really gunning it... Its been mentioned in some automotive test drive reviews as well, almost like the synchros dont quite keep up. High engagement and slightly long throws, but I love it.

Zauskycop

sounds to me like you are actively letting the clutch out...meaning, you are paying attention to it. IMO, that is wrong. Try this next time...

After you shift up, just sorta dump the clutch out, and take a peek at the RPM's to see how much they rise. Now you have to master the timing to lift your RPMs that much or a little more than that in the amount of time it takes you to dump that clutch out.

Not quite sure how to describe that differently because (as everyone says) practice makes perfect. But definitely, you shouldn't be paying attention to the clutch as it disengages...

Thoughts?

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
That ^^^ or take some driving lessons at a performance school. (If your bank roll is good) Or play forza, you will become a master if you play forza 3 (jk about forza)

haha I love this game it just sucks when I mod my gti in the game I can't get it to go any faster in the mile drags haha

pure_lunatic

Ready to race!
Clutch disengagement should be fast. Pedal to the floor. Do you really want to slip the clutch before your next gear is even ready? I see people do this and it isn't a good habbit. You want a smooth engagement and a fast disengagement.

Also, since I think zausky has things backwards along with others out there.

Engaging the clutch = foot off the pedal while in gear.
Disengaging the clutch = pedal to the floor.

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
sounds to me like you are actively letting the clutch out...meaning, you are paying attention to it. IMO, that is wrong. Try this next time...

After you shift up, just sorta dump the clutch out, and take a peek at the RPM's to see how much they rise. Now you have to master the timing to lift your RPMs that much or a little more than that in the amount of time it takes you to dump that clutch out.

Not quite sure how to describe that differently because (as everyone says) practice makes perfect. But definitely, you shouldn't be paying attention to the clutch as it disengages...

Thoughts?

lifting my rpms? i can down shift just fine. its just up shifting from 1st to 2nd that is a little off for me. Like i said, i shift at 3000 rpm and when i let my foot off the clutch, the rpms are at around 2000 which lets me make a smooth shift. If i was to shift faster, the rpms would be at around 2250 or 2500 and that would cause the car to jerk a little because the synchro has to pull the rpms down from 2500 to 2000

Last edited:

Macgyver1

Manual shifting

The videos you attached are good. That is exactly what you are shooting for.

It sounds like you are on the right path, but it shouldn't take more than about a second to shift gears. The average RPM drop between gears is about 1000 RPM on most cars. You let off of the gas, shift from one gear to the next as fast as the shift gate/linkage will easily allow. As the RPMs drop 800-1000 you start releasing the clutch; as the clutch starts to engage, you start applying gas. Its very similar to starting from a stop in first gear only it's easier and allows a little more room for error because the car is in motion. Remember the clutch and gas motions are exactly like starting from a dead stop, after the shifter has moved from one gear to another. I highly recommend finding someone with a lot of experience to ride along with you. You will learn more in a half hour that you will on your own in months. If your not willing to ask for help, have some one take a video of you shifting and we can make some suggestions. Above all learn to shift without slipping the clutch. When you get this down, we can start on downshifting. Up and down, its all about matching gears.

Good luck!

allset

Go Kart Champion
First of all, it is encouraging to me that there are still a lot of young drivers who are opting for manual transmission and learning the ins and outs of driving a standard. I don't care what anyone in the DSG or automatic camp says about faster shift times or milliseconds faster 0-60 times, we aren't race car drivers on a track and thats not what its about for me. Anyone can push or pull a paddle or mash a gas pedal and go fast. Once you master the manual you will experience a fluid 'oneness' with your vehicle that cannot be found with a couple of steering wheel mounted paddles. You aren't telling the ECU to shift gears for you, you are shifting them yourself and feeling that power come up through the clutch, in the gear shift etc. Sorry to get all kung fu on your there but I commend you for carrying on the art of the standard tranny. And to do it correctly is an art. I mean, my wife has driven stick her whole life and she still isn't very good at it. Doesn't rev match, shifts too low in the tac, lugs the engine, etc. etc. Sure, she can operate it, but she isn't skilled at the subtle techniques that make it so rewarding.

What you are describing sounds like you are looking at changing gears in separate steps when really, you should strive for making it all one fluid motion. When you describe completely letting off the gas, pushing the clutch in, shifting etc. try thinking about a very subtle blip of the trottle a millisecond before you push in the clutch and think about shifting the lever almost instantly after the clutch is pushed in etc.. try to close the gap in the time it takes for you to do each action and you'll be able to do everything with more speed and precision. I'm probably not explaining it right but you'll get it.

^ What he said.... so eloquently^

McQueen77

Banned
Clutch disengagement should be fast. Pedal to the floor. Do you really want to slip the clutch before your next gear is even ready? I see people do this and it isn't a good habbit. You want a smooth engagement and a fast disengagement.

Also, since I think zausky has things backwards along with others out there.

Engaging the clutch = foot off the pedal while in gear.
Disengaging the clutch = pedal to the floor.

So yeah, I'm resurrecting an old thread but I still have trouble with a smooth 1-2 upshift under hard acceleration when shifting at higher RPMs. Around town, its very smooth and I'm usually into 2nd and 3rd gear very early. Shifts 1-2 and 2-3 at low/normal RPMs are very smooth. But for example, pure_lunatic mentions that clutch engagement should be fast, without undue slippage etc. Thats a piece of cake in this car when upshifting 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 but low gears are another story and no matter what I try, the times I'm under hard acceleration from a stop, the only way I can get the 1-2 and sometimes 2-3 shifts smooth is to let out the clutch slower or to slip it. Let it out too slow and you lose boost. I've watched videos of the drift king guys and all that shifting lightning fast but its hard on this car. It was always a piece of cake for me on my old Hondas etc. but the clutch travel is so long on this thing with a slightly vague engagement point that the super fast upshifting in low gears at high RPMs is tricky. Sometimes I get it, sometimes if I shift too fast, I get a lurch.

Like Bender says, shifts should be slow, smooth and deliberate, which is fine for most normal driving situatinos, but when youre trying to jump onto an LA freeway where 10000000 cars are doing 85mph, you want quick engagements and those slow deliberate shifts will cause too much power loss. Chime in MT guys, even though its pulling up an old thread. I still wanna hear some tips.

VWGTI2011

Passed Driver's Ed
If your slowing change down through the gears and rev the engine so it's like double clutching just down shifting, then the revs will go up to when you need power to make a move!

BrianfCheng1

Ready to race!
The analogy i like to use for any new manual transmission driver is that you have to 'avatar sync' with your car.

To anyone who saw the movie 'Avatar', you'll know what I'm saying lol.

All you need is experience.