GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPA SHS coilovers - installed

Imbroglio1

Passed Driver's Ed
The SHS coils are essentially KW V1's but tuned slightly softer for street.
As with the V1's, these are stainless and have the "inox" coating / Lifetime warranty etc...

I chose these because I didn't want an extreme drop - just enough to remove the fender gap. I also wanted to maintain a near-stock ride while still enhancing cornering / reducing body-roll. They're also decently priced at $1095. The kicker is that HPA is local and they're a reputable VW tuner.

I took these with my iPhone:

Before:

Fender to Ground: ~26.2"

After:

Fender to Ground: ~25.1"

Now, I wouldn't recommend these for someone who's going to track their car - probably too soft for that application, but if you're looking to rid your car of the evil fender gap and at the same time improve the car's handling...these are a pretty good option. I really notice a reduction in squat / dive when accelerating / braking...the reduction in body roll is also noticeable - I'm quite happy.

I was worried about rubbing as the VMR's are 8.5" wide ET45, so they poke more than stock...and so I did the 'Fender Screw mod' just in case. I haven't rubbed yet - but really haven't pushed the car that hard.

I'm getting an Alignment this weekend after which I'll drive more aggressively and update with my thoughts.

EXACTLY what I'm looking for, slight drop to decrease fender gap, but I have no desire for adjustable shocks or tracking or any of that stuff. Let us know how they ride!

Imbroglio1

Passed Driver's Ed
EXACTLY what I'm looking for, slight drop to decrease fender gap, but I have no desire for adjustable shocks or tracking or any of that stuff. Let us know how they ride!

Yeah, me too...to be clear these are adjustable in ride height only (as with the V1's) - the dampening is preset from the factory.

:laugh: I just noticed there's a dead crow in the first pic!

Yeah, me too...to be clear these are adjustable in ride height only (as with the V1's) - the dampening is preset from the factory.

:laugh: I just noticed there's a dead crow in the first pic!

Yes, I know about the inability to adjust dampening. I did EXTENSIVE research and was set on the DG springs but the fact they are not approved for the GTI use according to VW made me realize they can void my shock warranty if they want to be dicks about it. The lifetime on these, ride height only adjustability, and the fact they are geared for real world shit roads makes them the perfect and only logical choice for me.

joeeee

Ready to race!
new to VWs but what is the fender screw mod, i've seen it mentioned alot but never actually seen it explained..? thanks.

Imbroglio1

Passed Driver's Ed

Krazy_Z

Go Kart Champion
Subtle drop looking good man I like it. I can barely tell that your car was even moved in these two pics.

kniteshift

Ready to race!
looking good man, very nice.

Any updates on ride?

Imbroglio1

Passed Driver's Ed
Any updates on ride?

The more I drive it, the happier I am with the choice. :cool:

I'll admit I was a little dissapointed at first as some reviews had suggested that the ride is either "like stock" or even "better than stock" but that is a lie. While the ride is still considerably nice and smooth, road irreguarities are without question more noticeable now. But it's a small price to pay for a much better look and better overall handling.

The car already cornered nicely, this setup seems to improve it just enough to notice it. I think I might feel the suspension more while braking to be honest....there is virtually no dive whatsoever and I'm guessing the car brakes more effeciently as a result - or so it feels.

I'm glad I got the alignment done - the rear camber apparently needed a good amount of adjustment....and the car tracks substantially better now...seems like I can coast for miles.

Wife and I had to pick up my Subaru from a friends house last night and she drove the GTI home with me following. I must say the car's stance looks absolutely perfect now...the wheels (18x8.5", ET45) fill out the wheel wells very nicely...and appear to be perfectly flush with the fenders. While I'm definitely not slammed, it's still agressive looking but also still quite tasteful - a perfect balance IMO.

I could go about an inch lower but see no reason to.

:thumbup:

GTIProject

Ready to race!
Thanks for the review. It's nice to see a review of a coi lover that isn't designed for a huge drop, or track days. Next year I will eventually taking on my suspension and I'm debating either the H&R cup kit or the KW's. I live in new england and the roads are horrible - but I'm not about to just slap springs onto my car.

I'm interested to know how these ride on the highway. Any high frequency jarring issues? Like over expansion joints and really rough highway surfaces.

The $1k price seems really good considering shock/spring kits are near that price.

I'll admit I was a little dissapointed at first as some reviews had suggested that the ride is either "like stock" or even "better than stock" but that is a lie. While the ride is still considerably nice and smooth, road irreguarities are without question more noticeable now.

Well that just killed my dream. Guess I'm staying stock. Maybe I need to ride in a local car that has these to really understand the differences.

If not, back to the DG springs I go.

Imbroglio1

Passed Driver's Ed
Well that just killed my dream. Guess I'm staying stock. Maybe I need to ride in a local car that has these to really understand the differences.

If not, back to the DG springs I go.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a nice ride - my wife didn't even notice the difference. I may have a very sensitive backside.

Imbroglio1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the review. It's nice to see a review of a coi lover that isn't designed for a huge drop, or track days. Next year I will eventually taking on my suspension and I'm debating either the H&R cup kit or the KW's. I live in new england and the roads are horrible - but I'm not about to just slap springs onto my car.

I'm interested to know how these ride on the highway. Any high frequency jarring issues? Like over expansion joints and really rough highway surfaces.

The $1k price seems really good considering shock/spring kits are near that price.

You'll feel the expansion joints a little more than stock, but it cannot be considered "Jarring" by any means. I look forward to bends in the Highway. There's a local Highway that has a couple of bends where the radius is probably too tight for most highways, and most cars slow from ~100 to about 75-80 km/h (~45-50 mph) to navigate them (even though they're nicely banked)...the road was pretty clear so I was taking them at ~130 km/h (80 mph) and the car felt extremely planted and confidence inspiring...loved it.