Overall Satisfaction

• Love it, perfect, no complaints

Votes: 38 92.7%
  • Wish I had gotten something else

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Nice. Sounds like both are great options. I have heard nothing but good things about the RSR. I have a Golf R and went stage 1 and my stock clutch slipped immediately. So i returned the tune to sit back and figure out plan of attack.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
2013 GTI
30k kms
3000 kms
See sig
Hell YES
No experience with other clutches
DD and will be tracking this summer

I LOVE my RSR. I re-used the DMFW which was in great shape and it's basically like driving with the stock clutch. As long as you don't have too many miles on the flywheel and you haven't been slipping it a ton you will be fine. I slipped mine a handful of times when it first began slipping and it was still in great shape. The engagement point started very close to the floor for the first few kms but as I broke it in it gradually raised. It's still lower than stock but not by much and not enough that you will notice quicker shifts compared to stock/Sachs kit. It started out stiff as hell and I almost stalled a couple times as it grabs really hard. It definitely lightened up as it broke it and is only SLIGHTLY stiffer than stock and I actually prefer the stiffer clutch. I daily drive 100km per day with no issues.

Apparently this is the same exact same clutch that would go into your R so I assume they would act the same. If you are hesitant about pulling the trigger on this clutch I would do it in a heart beat, especially if you want to make big power.

The Sachs kit is still a great choice however the link above is NOT the correct part. This is the part you want:

http://www.sachsperformance.com/Sac...;-09/2006/SRE-Performance-Clutch-Kit::85.html

I was actually the one who contacted Sachs and talked to them about it. If you ever plan on going stage 2+ and running 100 oct or going stage 3 I would get the RSR. If you are staying below that then the Sachs kit or the RSR would get my vote. Since I can tell you the RSR is great from personally experience I would lean in that direction.

Last edited:

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Appreciate it! Definitely leaning towards it. Not sure about my DMFW it only has just under 20k miles at the moment, but i dont want to pay labor for the install and buy the clutch only to find out shortly down the road that the flywheel should have been replaced. The RSR sounds like exactly what i want though. Thanks!

2013 GTI
30k kms
3000 kms
See sig
Hell YES
No experience with other clutches
DD and will be tracking this summer

I LOVE my RSR. I re-used the DMFW which was in great shape and it's basically like driving with the stock clutch. As long as you don't have too many miles on the flywheel and you haven't been slipping it a ton you will be fine. I slipped mine a handful of times when it first began slipping and it was still in great shape. The engagement point started very close to the floor for the first few kms but as I broke it in it gradually raised. It's still lower than stock but not by much and not enough that you will notice quicker shifts compared to stock/Sachs kit. It started out stiff as hell and I almost stalled a couple times as it grabs really hard. It definitely lightened up as it broke it and is only SLIGHTLY stiffer than stock and I actually prefer the stiffer clutch. I daily drive 100km per day with no issues.

Apparently this is the same exact same clutch that would go into your R so I assume they would act the same. If you are hesitant about pulling the trigger on this clutch I would do it in a heart beat, especially if you want to make big power.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Appreciate it! Definitely leaning towards it. Not sure about my DMFW it only has just under 20k miles at the moment, but i dont want to pay labor for the install and buy the clutch only to find out shortly down the road that the flywheel should have been replaced. The RSR sounds like exactly what i want though. Thanks!

I had 18.6k miles on mine and I was paranoid about my flywheel as well. The place I had it installed was prepared to resurface the flywheel if necessary but didn't need to. They took pictures for me and everything, I will see if I can find them. The flywheel looked brand new.

You can always go the resurface route however it is a bit more expensive and not all shops will resurface a DMFW. Like I said before, unless you have been ragging on the clutch and have been slipping it a lot, you should be fine.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
So just went to HS Tuning's site and the RSR is on sale.

Currently $924.99

now thru 3/21/14

Now I have to do it! haha

Wopasaurus

Ready to race!
I have mine running on a k04 and it feels incredible, even as my daily driver

Would definitely recommend.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I drove a bunch of combinations of clutch while HS was finding the perfect combination to sell as a kit. On top of what I drove, they tested probably 100 different components before finding the ultimate solution. Everytime I was there (usually once a week) they were taking the trans out of the shop GTI.

The clutch is AWESOME. There is nothing like it. Super smooth engagement, no slipping, moderate pedal effort. I have personally had a stage 3 drop in disk, a stage 2 endurance and am now running a southbend prototype pressure plate with a stage 3 disk and stock flywheel. I tested to prototype southbend pressure plate through HS as they were developing the RSR kit. I sincerely wish I would have put the RSR in my car instead of the southbend one.

Either way, I've tested a ton of clutches and the RSR is the clear winner. And I wouldn't worry about the flywheel. As long as you weren't completely smoking the clutch for thousands of miles it will be fine.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Vehicle: GTI
Mileage when installed: 45k
Mileage on kit now: 55k
Current mods: Stage 1 w/ intake
Would buy again?: Absolutely yes.
Compared to SB,CM,Sachs you previously owned: no prior experience with aftermarket clutches
Daily Driver? Do you Track? This is my commuter + DD. I track, but haven't with this kit yet.

I love this clutch. I was apprehensive spending near $1k on a "reliability" mod, but it's a performance mod through and through. Breaking the tires loose dropping into 3rd gear doesn't get old. This thing grips. As others have said, NVH is exactly like stock. It's also more a spring and less a marshmallow than the stock VW clutches. A tad more feedback through the pedal.

I tuned to stage 1 at 33k and started slipping at ~40k miles I think. I slipped on my DMFW plenty of times. Maybe a couple dozen times. It even started slipping in stock mode. Anyways the DMFW was fine. It was discolored, but the surface retained the groove pattern and there were no flat spots. At 22k miles you'll be fine with your existing DMFW.

Edit: Follow the link in my signature to take you to my build thread. There's a link there in the OP to take you to my install and impressions.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
oh, OK.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, that's a biggie. Or the equivalent package from Clutchmasters is around 700ish. While I am not saying the RSR is better/worse, just saying its considerably more pricey.