GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I'll be attempting to resurrect a Saab Conv advice welcome

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
So the GFs brilliant dad owns a "fun" car which is a late 90s Saab 9-2 Failvertible... he gave up on it and pretty much wants to get "rid of it" I figured why the hell not I'll give it a go.

For the petrols/troys of the world ... it has a stick!! :laugh:

So back to the car... around 110k miles.
Parked for 9 months
Battery is so dead you can't remove the key from the ignition (which is next to the shifter thanks to weird saab designs).

So what is the cheapest thing to get this thing running... ?! I am going to attempt to jump it and then let it sit and idle/charge for a bit.
Then if that doesn't work... wallyworld battery

Should I get new 91 octane gas to dilute the shit in the tank?

What are the main weak points of the car?

Any advice would be welcome.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
GO for it. Love those. Fluids and power/brakes and tires. Check em all. Attempt to start and run it. Find a local SAAB guy and do some in person analysis with him. I learned more about your M3 when I checked in with Mr Schropp here in Boeblingen, attempting to help you than reading about it online.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
For starters, the mid-late 90s Saabs are pretty solid cars; GM had started getting into the mix but not too heavily yet. My username on the 'Tex is actually Saabstory02 as I've had a few of them :D

What year is it, 900 Convertible or 9-3 Convertible? IIRC ~97 or newer is a 9-3; pre-96 were the Saab 900s and were all Saab, no GM interference yet. But on to the questions:

110K on a Saab is just warming up; they are well known to last to 250k+ when maintained. The key issue is most likely separate from the battery issue. Saab manuals must be in reverse to remove the key for starters, so if it isn't in reverse try that first. ;)

Dead battery; charge it or give it the cheapest you can find.

The 2.0T engine is very similar to VW's; though the Saab "coil packs" are a single integrated Direct Ignition Cassette (DIC). Your second problem after battery is most likely to be that. They fail over time and need to be replaced; most dedicated Saab drivers keep a spare one in the trunk... If one fails it usually fails quickly and completely, so you have no spark at all. If you confirm a good battery and it won't start, you'll need a new DIC (yeah, go crazy with that one :D). You can usually find used cassettes on e-bay or Saab forums (ie saabcentral.com); they may not last 100k miles but you can at least test and confirm the issue that way.

Saab bodies have rust concerns around the bumpers and wheel arches.

Saabs have more torque steer than VWs do, and are notorious for a wimpy steering support bracket on the firewall, google "Saab Rescue Kit" or Viggen Rescue Kit" for details. If you decide to keep and drive it, you'll want that...

Just a few things to start you off with.

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
GO for it. Love those. Fluids and power/brakes and tires. Check em all. Attempt to start and run it. Find a local SAAB guy and do some in person analysis with him. I learned more about your M3 when I checked in with Mr Schropp here in Boeblingen, attempting to help you than reading about it online.

Thank you, this is good advice, I'll be going through the basics.

For starters, the mid-late 90s Saabs are pretty solid cars; GM had started getting into the mix but not too heavily yet. My username on the 'Tex is actually Saabstory02 as I've had a few of them :D

What year is it, 900 Convertible or 9-3 Convertible? IIRC ~97 or newer is a 9-3; pre-96 were the Saab 900s and were all Saab, no GM interference yet. But on to the questions:

110K on a Saab is just warming up; they are well known to last to 250k+ when maintained. The key issue is most likely separate from the battery issue. Saab manuals must be in reverse to remove the key for starters, so if it isn't in reverse try that first. ;)

Dead battery; charge it or give it the cheapest you can find.

The 2.0T engine is very similar to VW's; though the Saab "coil packs" are a single integrated Direct Ignition Cassette (DIC). Your second problem after battery is most likely to be that. They fail over time and need to be replaced; most dedicated Saab drivers keep a spare one in the trunk... If one fails it usually fails quickly and completely, so you have no spark at all. If you confirm a good battery and it won't start, you'll need a new DIC (yeah, go crazy with that one :D). You can usually find used cassettes on e-bay or Saab forums (ie saabcentral.com); they may not last 100k miles but you can at least test and confirm the issue that way.

Saab bodies have rust concerns around the bumpers and wheel arches.

Saabs have more torque steer than VWs do, and are notorious for a wimpy steering support bracket on the firewall, google "Saab Rescue Kit" or Viggen Rescue Kit" for details. If you decide to keep and drive it, you'll want that...

Just a few things to start you off with.

OMG thank you !!! This is amazing info.

Car in question looks as following:

The dad did mention it ran rough etc and occasionally stalled after starting. I heard about the DIC during one of those wheeler dealer episodes actually, any idea in terms of pricing and sourcing this particular part?

Rust is a non issue, dat cali weather.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
So the GFs brilliant dad owns a "fun" car which is a late 90s Saab 9-2 Failvertible... he gave up on it and pretty much wants to get "rid of it" I figured why the hell not I'll give it a go.

For the petrols/troys of the world ... it has a stick!! :laugh:

So back to the car... around 110k miles.
Parked for 9 months
Battery is so dead you can't remove the key from the ignition (which is next to the shifter thanks to weird saab designs).

So what is the cheapest thing to get this thing running... ?! I am going to attempt to jump it and then let it sit and idle/charge for a bit.
Then if that doesn't work... wallyworld battery

Should I get new 91 octane gas to dilute the shit in the tank?

What are the main weak points of the car?

Any advice would be welcome.

If you drive around with your brahs in it with the top down you will be immediately identified as gay. You may wish to consider countermeasures such as a mullett.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Oh dang. Looks clean. How much did you get it for, if anything?

Now we are late 90s convertible bro's.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Oh dang. Looks clean. How much did you get it for, if anything?

Now we are late 90s convertible bro's.

Free brah. But lady friend wants to unload it after I make it run. So we'll see.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
If you drive around with your brahs in it with the top down you will be immediately identified as gay. You may wish to consider countermeasures such as a mullett.

No issues here... You have to be a pretty flaming homo here to be identified as such. Convertible mini in rolled up shorts and a deep v beck big sun glasses and Hitler Youth haircut. While holding hands with a filipino fuckboi who is no more than 5'5"

Convertible saab will ppl think I drive a POS ragtop more so than anything else. And question whether saab is an actual car brand or if it is a honda.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Fack. Crazy beotches never want to park old cars on the front lawn.

She is excited at the idea of getting rid of the car, I am excited at making it run :laugh:

We couldn't be more different :laugh:

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
She is excited at the idea of getting rid of the car, I am excited at making it run :laugh:

We couldn't be more different :laugh:

That's a typical Mars Venus situ right there.

Do I spy a W140 S Class Mercedes behind the Saab? Your future father in law:) has quite the used car lot!

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
always liked Saab cuz they were different. 99 turbo anyone?

@maxtdi I say go for it. looks to be in good shape.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
That's a typical Mars Venus situ right there.

Do I spy a W140 S Class Mercedes behind the Saab? Your future father in law:) has quite the used car lot!

always liked Saab cuz they were different. 99 turbo anyone?

@maxtdi I say go for it. looks to be in good shape.

You spy well, I actually don't have a pic of actual car but it is an identical shape/color I just used it as a reference. They have a Honda family... like any self respecting asian.

Brother drives V6 accord sport, she drives Civic, dad+mom drive Pilot :yikes:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Any chance Dad and Mom roll that Pilot about 65 mph in the far left lane of a 70 mph freeway? Just a guess....

Never been in a car with them, but I would assume yes. Based on what I have seen. Although she is a really aggressive driver which is a bit unnerving.

I can't believe I am saying this, must be getting old.