GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I'm bored throw some ideas at me..

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
any indie shops by you? I was lucky, one of the largest in the midwest was 2miles from where I grew up, so they had inspected my 996 and had very good rates, etc.

Some yes... but unfortunately the IMS failure is one of those things that will cost at least 10-15k no matter what... and a huge hassle. Besides even porsche indys charge pretty good out here. It may be 1/2 of what a dealer charges... but a dealer charges $400 for an oil change I can do at home for $60

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
My corvette from 19-55k miles had the following issues
Failed EBCM module
Cracked rear wheels
leaky rear end
failed hatch paint towards the end

So I am not so keen on taking my chances with a 20k engine in a 29k car... Porsche parts are insanely priced (goes without saying) the other issue is... labor at a dealer is I think around 250-300 an hour... these techs/dealers make bank.

I may try and see if I can go a carmax route with extended warranty ... but that's a bit of a crap shoot.

The only really expensive issues with your C5 would have been the EBCM, which it looks like can be rebuilt these days for ~$300. Everything else isn't really scary.

I agree that taking the chance on a P-car is a serious game of russian roulette. Parts and labor are lolz on those cars, and with even a small chance of failure, it's still an incredibly risky proposition.

A Carmax car with a warranty would be a great way to go, but you'll pay the top of market value for it. If considering an 06-08 car, it's definitely the way to go for piece of mind.

Some yes... but unfortunately the IMS failure is one of those things that will cost at least 10-15k no matter what... and a huge hassle. Besides even porsche indys charge pretty good out here. It may be 1/2 of what a dealer charges... but a dealer charges $400 for an oil change I can do at home for $60

Right.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Right I know how to work on cars to an extent that's not the point... I was pointing out my "luck" with a "reliable" c5. Taking the porsche chances may not be wise...

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Wasn't it established that a 2009 base does basically the same things as an '06-08 S without the IMS issue and for similar money? Why not get one of those?

(I honestly don't know much about these cars, but that was discussed earlier).

PetrolHead

Wasn't it established that a 2009 base does basically the same things as an '06-08 S without the IMS issue and for similar money? Why not get one of those?

(I honestly don't know much about these cars, but that was discussed earlier).

Yes. Yes we did. Max just doesn't want to buy a car.

Man is that overpriced for a 97, but maybe negotiable within range. I wouldn't pay much over $13k for that, but it would be a pretty epic racecar. Do it. C5s are so in.

Dumptrolling via fapatalk

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
word , guise. NADA book value is about 15k retail, due to the miles mostly.

PetrolHead

word , guise. NADA book value is about 15k retail, due to the miles mostly.

Wow, I didn't think it would be that high...but NADA retail on my car was like $21k, I paid $17.5 PP.

PP's the way to go on Vettes, however dealers are going to get eager to move these cars as demand plummets from seasonality. Might be able to get a pretty solid deal.

Dumptrolling via fapatalk

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

PetrolHead

C5s are indeed in. Interiors be damned, they're fun.

They're a riot. The crappy interior almost makes it more fun. You feel like you're driving a purpose-built machine rather than a luxury apartment.

$16K is just the asking price guise... rofl.

I wouldn't pay more than probably 14.5K for it. Got to negotiate....

www.facebook.com/chicagocarnetwork remember? ;) :lol:

If you got that thing for $14.5k, I think you'd be winning.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
If you got that thing for $14.5k, I think you'd be winning.

Saw your post in Max's thread too.. I mean, why save a few K, if that, on a similar model with double or more mileage.. I'd rather pay for a low mileage car at that rate and it looks to be in damn good condition overall.