GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I'm trying to decide if I should buy...

VincentValentine

Passed Driver's Ed
Considering that your only 17, I would advise you to buy a cheap old beater that will last you a few years. During that time you will gain driving experience that comes with time and perhaps save up to buy your next car with cash. Your next car can be a GTI and you will appreciate the upgrade in power and won't feel the need to mod right away. Plus your insurance will be cheaper by that time as well.

Vs if you buy one now, you will be in debt, paying interest. Your insurance will be costly. Easier to get speeding tickets or be reckless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
"Too much car" meant a lot more when torque steer was an issue. It really isn't in the GTI. These cars are NOT that fast people...

Breaking a 15 second 1/4 mile and a zero to 60 time of about 6 seconds (DSG) will always be fast as far as I'm concerned.

skitheeast

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks again this really is helpful info. I'm leaning away from the GTI and more toward the regular golf.

ralphykid67

Ready to race!
Thanks again this really is helpful info. I'm leaning away from the GTI and more toward the regular golf.

Don't listen to them. Life is short and you can only be 17 once. Get a GTI and rip it sick dawg with that turbo screaming.

You guys are dicks. The kid is 17 he doesn't want a Golf to be on the safer side and save money. He want's a GTI and to watch them panties flyin off.

Get a GTI kid. You will not regret it no matter what these debbie downer's say

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
You guys are dicks. The kid is 17 he doesn't want a Golf to be on the safer side and save money. He want's a GTI and to watch them panties flyin off.

Lol +1 (as long as your budget allows it)

Think about what you really want from the car. Just make sure you're responsible with it. At 17, I wasnt mature enough to handle this car. If you are, do it up

YOLO

411big

Ready to race!
Don't listen to them. Life is short and you can only be 17 once. Get a GTI and rip it sick dawg with that turbo screaming.

Don't ever take advice from the dude who says "rip it sick dawg" ....

I'm 25 and I love my gti but when I was 17 I was in and out of all types of cars and trucks buying, selling, fixing and Making money from them occasionlly. Cars come and go but I'd say just buy craigslist cars for now, some of the best cars I've ever owned came from Craigslist!

skitheeast

Passed Driver's Ed

Hahaha I really do appreciate this but money is a factor and I know that I'll drive a GTI at some point anyway. I created this thread for some info. I'm not gonna buy/not buy the car based only on what I see here. So don't worry that they've scared me away from the car.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I actually mentioned too much earlier because when i was 17 i was young and stupid with driving, i actually rear ended (fender bender) someone when i was 18 due to tailgating, so i was glad i didn't do that in a GTI. If you really want a GTI and don't let some moron at school making you race with his 2004 mustang GT, do it. For a young age GTI is fast, is not as fast as a modern V8 or remotely close to a Ferrari, it's quick enough to get you tickets and easily beat those honda ricer losers. Don't street race though ;)

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
They're still faster than pretty much every naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engine no?

17 is too young for a car like this especially if you have to finance it.

s2000 is faster than a mk6, but s2000 is lighter and a RWD platform.

P_m651

Ready to race!
Too much car. Knowing what I know about being 17, I would have killed someone if I had such a fast car.

A 17yr old shouldn't be able to light up the tires in 1st and 2nd, stock. That's just asking to light up the tires on every other stop sign or light. It's like asking a kid to hold onto but not eat that delicious candy. Have a moderate car that you can haul a few buddies in - which is already enough trouble for almost any 17yr old.

411big

Ready to race!
s2000 is faster than a mk6, but s2000 is lighter and a RWD platform.

Some people would argue that the s2k is one of the best cars ever made. I think I can speak for the majority of the forum members and say, the s2k has a far superior chassis platform than any Europe vehicle... no questions asked.

sholksmagen

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you consider an MK6 2.5 Golf? It'll be cheaper to insure, it shares a lot of of the same characteristics as the GTI (suspension, seats, interior build, front calipers) and can be had for less than 13K all day long and can readily be found in a 5-speed manual. The 2.5 is a solid, reliable engine and its a good daily without egging you to go faster like the GTI. Also you can swap over all the GTI goodies you're missing (I have a flat-bottomed GTI steering wheel in my 2.5). I would definitely recommend looking into it as an option.

Rascal

Ready to race!
Did you consider an MK6 2.5 Golf? It'll be cheaper to insure, it shares a lot of of the same characteristics as the GTI (suspension, seats, interior build, front calipers) and can be had for less than 13K all day long and can readily be found in a 5-speed manual. The 2.5 is a solid, reliable engine and its a good daily without egging you to go faster like the GTI. Also you can swap over all the GTI goodies you're missing (I have a flat-bottomed GTI steering wheel in my 2.5). I would definitely recommend looking into it as an option.

I like this. The 2.5 is a good choice. Tamer, very reliable, good on fuel, yada. And may I add not too big. Another one of my (many) peaves is young drivers tooling around in oversized SUV's because they are perceived as safer. Until it rolls over. [news flash: they don't handle very well]

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

He'd regret it if he rips it sick dawg around a telephone pole with that turbo screaming.
That is, if he lived to regret it.