GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler choice when going K04

Catharsis

Passed Driver's Ed
Who believes S3 is sufficient for a k04 upgrade?

Who does and does not and believes APR FMIC is the best route even though price difference is substantial?

For temp idea, I am in Florida = freaking hot :eek:

We all know AWE folks ride out on S3/ KO4 combo but...

We all know the APR is a thicker core, more "premium" product but is it necessary?

Love to read some experience and opinions for the life of the car.

Thanks all & have a great weekend!

:readthethread:

Krazy_Z

Go Kart Champion
Well the S3 intercooler is suficent for the S3 that comes from the factory with a K04 as well, so I would not see why it would not be. I am in the works of buying a K04/S3 FMIC set up my self. So lets see how much info we can gather from other users.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Well the S3 intercooler is suficent for the S3 that comes from the factory with a K04 as well, so I would not see why it would not be.

The S3 intercooler is designed as a low cost intercooler solutions for the FACTORY S3, which only produces about 240 WHP.

K04's are around 300 WHP or greater.

You'll have much better performance by upgrading to our intercooler if you own an S3 or a GTI with a k04.

:thumbsup:

Chainspike

Ready to race!
The S3 is stock on a K04 car but think of how watered down the K04 is. Now you plan on increasing boost a crap ton with the K04 and the S3 might or might not keep up.

CarbonMK6GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Go for APR

Who believes S3 is sufficient for a k04 upgrade?

Who does and does not and believes APR FMIC is the best route even though price difference is substantial?

For temp idea, I am in Florida = freaking hot :eek:

We all know AWE folks ride out on S3/ KO4 combo but...

We all know the APR is a thicker core, more "premium" product but is it necessary?

Love to read some experience and opinions for the life of the car.

Thanks all & have a great weekend!

:readthethread:

Honestly go with the APR. I live in Montreal where the temperatures don't get as hot as in Florida. I have a K04 with the S3 intercooler and honestly it does not do the job. The same day I had everything installed, I called APR and ordered myself the intercooler. S3 in my opinion was a waste of my money and time.

As Arin stated, the s3 fmic is for the stock k04 tune. With APRs tune you want a better fmic. Get the APR.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
As Arin stated, the s3 fmic is for the stock k04 tune. With APRs tune you want a better fmic. Get the APR.

Also, the S3 intercooler is a 'lowest bidder' item. the core does not offer the same advantages as the APR system. When we installed our intercooler on a stock GTI, we saw quicker spool and higher boost levels at redline due to a lower pressure drop across the core. This is mainly due to the design of the core we use. It's more expensive, but it's that way for a reason.

You get what you pay for!