GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Introduction - Prospective Buyer

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
Hey ya'll,

This summer I'll be looking to replace my current car ('12 Passat 2.5 SE), and I'm pretty much set on a MkVI GTI. I'm in the research phase now, and so far this site seems to be the best. I'm already on VWVortex, but the MkVI forum there is kinda dead. Here's what I've got so far:

Mandatory:
- Manual (half the reason I want a new car is I miss stick shift)
- 4-door
- "with Sunroof"

Really want, but can do without if everything else is great:
- 2012+
- "With Sunroof and Nav" (mainly just for the HIDs)

Color: Anything but red.

Budget: ~$18k

I'd love an Autobahn, but I'm not gonna pass up on other good cars to hold out for one.

Issues I've learned of so far:
- The infamous timing chain tensioner - I just finished reading the entire official thread. I think the DIY replacement is within my abilities, so I'm not too worried about getting an '11 or '12 if everything else is good with it.
- Rear main seal - How common is this really? I've read it can be caused by bad PCV, so can that be replaced as a preventative measure, or does it just go when it goes?
- Intake carbon buildup - I suppose I'd just deal with that as needed.
- Water pump - Same as above.

What am I getting myself into? :laugh: Say what you will about the 2.5, but at least it's super reliable. Are there any other common issues I should be aware of, or things to look for when shopping?

It feels great being able to voluntarily buy on my own terms and not be rushed to get something because I have to. That's how I ended up with my current car and I've never really been satisfied with it.

Thanks in advance for feedback!

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie

Really want, but can do without if everything else is great:
- 2012+
- "With Sunroof and Nav" (mainly just for the HIDs)

You seem to be on the right path doing the research prior to buying. :clap: You should be able to find the right GTI for youself by the summer within your price range. I opted for the "with sunroof and Navi" solely for the HID's and still happy with my decision :) I guess you also have to choose between leather or plaid/cloth interior. If you're able to find a 2012.5> you might not have to deal with the timing chain tensioner issue. Good luck!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
With that budget it seems like you already know what you want. Many can be had in the 13-15k range with low mileage

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the replies. I'm feeling good about this decision, can't wait until I can make it happen!

Turbosharef

Go Kart Newbie
i keep seeing everywhere that the xenon's are an option on the GTI, i have never seen one here in canada without the projector headlights and xenons/HID's wondering if this is an american option. but you're on the right track for sure, i just picked up my black 2010 a few weeks back with 76000kms (47,224miles) for 19k CAD with leather which is about 14,200 USD, so since you're not in a rush im sure you can find the exact one you want. i see you also dont want a red one thats the best colour i tried searching for one for so long in red but the ones i found where all DSG :(

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
There are four trim levels in the U.S., and HIDs are in the top two.

KITEWAGON

Passed Driver's Ed
For reference I just picked up a Shadow Blue 2012 GTI Autobahn with the 6M and 59k on the clock. I got it for just over $12k, which is pretty much KBB private party in very good condition. The car is stock (or close to it), well maintained and basically spotless. The only mod that I noticed is the Homelink mirror.

I'm pretty happy with it. The only concern is that despite trying to read up on the reliability I missed the timing chain tensioner issue. So that pi$$es me off. I've got a quote from an indy shop for $1250 to do the tensioner and upper chain. The car is running great though so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it. I hate spending that kind of money for something that could be in fine shape already.

I just want the weather here to clear up so that I can wash it.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
Another question: I noticed that up to 2012, the redline on the tach is 6k, but starting from 2013, it's about 6800. As far as I know there were no changes to the engine, so was that the "real" redline all along?

Noodle1

Ready to race!
Another question: I noticed that up to 2012, the redline on the tach is 6k, but starting from 2013, it's about 6800. As far as I know there were no changes to the engine, so was that the "real" redline all along?

wow, I just noticed that, Im pretty sure the actual rev limiter is around 7k for all mk6's.

I have a 2013 gti 6 speed, 40k miles, certified pre owned, I picked up about 8 months ago and I love it. It was 18.5k before taxes and fees and it was loaded with the sunroof, xenon lights, navi, and the awesome plaid seats. It was also apr tuned (keep in mind the clutch's on our cars are a hit or a miss, the previous owner and I have been stage 1 and then stage 2 for a while on what I assume is the stock clutch) I kinda regret buying it from the dealer though,if you plan on modding and if you have cash upfront i would recommend picking up a mk6 on the fourms for much cheaper. Eitherway, you cant go wrong with a good old gti :)

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I've always wondered about the redline thing in my car, it pulls cleanly to 6500 where the power starts to drop noticeably

The biggest weakness this car has when it comes to performance is the stock clutch. Otherwise overall it's a solid platform. Yeah, it has some issues, but what car at this price point doesn't?

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
I did it! Today I traded in my Passat for a 2013 GTI Autobahn.

I wasn't actually planning on buying just yet, but I saw it online last night and it was everything I wanted for a good price, so I couldn't pass it by.

Dr1n

I did it! Today I traded in my Passat for a 2013 GTI Autobahn.

I wasn't actually planning on buying just yet, but I saw it online last night and it was everything I wanted for a good price, so I couldn't pass it by.

My car twin ( i have detroit tho) beautiful car. Enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
welcome to the Golf Family.
My next car will have navigation and HID/LED headlights. I will not buy another car with halogen lights.. yes they are cheap and easy but HID/LED projectors are just so muchhh clearer and more visibility. Like it literally is night and day difference driving in my GTI with Halogens and my brothers GLI with HIDS.