GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

is it true that removing visor stickers = dealers replace them?

walker

Go Kart Newbie
I got 91% isopropyl. Hopefully that will work. Is the material different on a 2012? Because honestly to me it doesn't even look like a sticker or screen printing.

walker

Go Kart Newbie
So I went forward with this project today as it was still unseasonably nice out for January in WNY. I pretty much stuck to the original DIY Vortex thread.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-airbag-warning-stickers-from-your-sun-visors

it was very easy to remove the air bag warning without removing the visors.

My car: 2012 GTI base model 6mt.

Tools/supplies used:
-91% Isopropyl Alcohol, purchased from Target. 16oz for $1.49
-Vinylex by Lexol, from Pep Boys $9
-Scotts blue shop towels, advance/Autozone $2
-very small flathead screw driver.

Process notes:
-pull the visor down, swing toward window, then extend (toward rear of car)
-the blue shop towels are much better then regular paper towels. They're thicker and absorb more, so the IPA did not drip much if at all. They also don't leave as many tiny pieces behind.
-Soaked the sticker for 10-15 minutes
-used small flathead to very carefully scrape up the entire edge of the sticker.
-once I had enough to grip, I pulled VERY slowly and it came off in one piece.
-soaked visor additional 10 minutes, then all the glue/residue wiped right off.
-Finished off with Vinylex, worked very well and not glossy
-very slight impression where the sticker was (as others mentioned), will hit it with Vinylex again in a week or so.

I'm incredibly happy with this 'mod'. Sorry I don't have a camera to show y'all, but it looks 1000x better and was very easy to do. Pics wouldn't do it justice anyway. I'd recommend everybody do it.

Side note, the Vinylex is a great product. It was recommended by a local professional detail shop and found it at Pep Boys. It works on the dash, doors, etc too!! It cleans and conditions without any glossy effect at all! (way better then Armorall)

MetalBong

Passed Driver's Ed
My visors aren't exactly "smooth" vinyl, they're ridged (not ribbed for your pleasure) almost like a fabric. Can't really tell from the pics in the DIY if it's the same material. Is this how everyone else's are? It seems the left over goop isn't gonna come all the way off.

walker

Go Kart Newbie
^^ we have the same car, different color.

yes, they're sort of slotted. I used copious amounts of IPA on the towel. After removing the sticker, then soaking the area another 10 minutes, I used another towel with some more ipa on it to wipe the goop off, with some scrubbing force. The 'ridged' quality requires a back and forth motion instead of a circular one. It was easier then I expected after reading the whole thread on vortex.

The remaining rectangle where the sticker was is very very faint. You can only see it if you look at just the right angle. Make sure you finish off with some Vinyl conditioner.

MetalBong

Passed Driver's Ed
^^ we have the same car, different color.

yes, they're sort of slotted. I used copious amounts of IPA on the towel. After removing the sticker, then soaking the area another 10 minutes, I used another towel with some more ipa on it to wipe the goop off, with some scrubbing force. The 'ridged' quality requires a back and forth motion instead of a circular one. It was easier then I expected after reading the whole thread on vortex.

The remaining rectangle where the sticker was is very very faint. You can only see it if you look at just the right angle. Make sure you finish off with some Vinyl conditioner.

Thanks for the reply, new here, great forum.

daysleeper_k2

Passed Driver's Ed
I just removed the airbag stickers using the instructions on vwvortex.

I removed the visors so I could work on a flat surface and rub to my heart's content without breaking anything :).

All worked great; stickers came off in one piece and didn't take too much rubbing. The problem was putting the visors back on. Driver's side wasn't a problem, but the wire on the passenger's side had slipped back into the headliner and there was no way I could grab it through the small hole in the headliner. After a trip to Lowe's to get some angled pliers and about an hour of fidgeting around, when I had almost given up hope, I got lucky and was able to pull the wire out, hook it up and reattach the visor. I consider myself lucky that the wire wasn't gone forever... Just a word of caution; you may want to think twice before removing the visors and instead opt to leave them on and just be careful when applying the alcohol and rubbing.

walker

Go Kart Newbie
just leave the visors on and do it. if you spill some ipa, it won't really affect anything.

dinkdinker

Ready to race!
Why would someone want to remove them in the first place?

I agree. Who spends time looking at their visors? I never notice them unless I have to pull the visor down to block the sun in my eyes. At that point I don't care because I'm more worried about not being able to see anything at all.

JDM713

Go Kart Champion

:D

Lodi

Go Kart Champion
I now know what I'm doing tomorrow at lunch...:thumbsup:

daysleeper_k2

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree. Who spends time looking at their visors? I never notice them unless I have to pull the visor down to block the sun in my eyes. At that point I don't care because I'm more worried about not being able to see anything at all.

Well, it's all a matter of personal preference. If you don't mind them, leave them on. Nobody's forcing you to take them off (or to post on this thread).

Some of us don't like the big bright stickers in our cars. To me, they were an eyesore from day one in the otherwise beautiful interior.

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
I did this a few weeks ago, and my driver side light doesn't work anymore :/
haha. maybe I oversoaked it with alchohol.
when I get my 10k service, i will ask the dealer to take a look at it