GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is my MPG normal?

AW in a VW

Ready to race!
I'm a new member and new GTI owner and was curious what MPG's I should be getting. My car is a 2010 GTI DSG with 40k. The 40k service was done by the dealer when I bought it last month. The cars display reads an average of 23.4 MPG after two tanks of shell vpower 93 octane and I think that is a little on the low side. This is driving in D (90% of the time) and is mostly in traffic. Is this normal or do I need to do plugs, coils and fuel filter? I have noticed a little bit of a rough idle but the RPM's stay steady. When I say rough idle I'm referring to vibrations in the pedals when stopped. I suppose that could be worn out mounts though. Any help is appreciated.

youloze

Ready to race!
If you are driving mostly on surface streets and in traffic then that is about right. If you drive mostly highway like I do you will see upwards of 30mpg.

Also if you want actual mpg figures fill your tank then log your mileage. Fill again and divide the mileage by the gallons you put in. I've noticed that my mpg indicator usually reads high by a couple mpg's.

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
normal for mostly traffic. my average consumption is 23.8 driving in 75% traffic in Los Angeles. Still WAY better than my previous Infiniti G37's 18mpg.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
40k is low mileage for plugs let alone coils. And 23 is fine for shitty traffic.

AW in a VW

Ready to race!
Thanks guys. I plan on doing the aforementioned maintenance soon but I have some other bills to pay first. I figured that number was normal but I just wanted to make sure. @Sniper27, this MPG is way better than the 14.2 my old charger rt had.

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I was going to ask you for a reference point ie.. your other car... so yea if you got 14 in charger and get 23 now you're fine. Don't listen to the " i get 40 mpg in a gti every day" posts.

AW in a VW

Ready to race!
Yeah, I'm loving the 23.x traffic MPG but since I had that perceived idle roughness I just wanted to check with the community regarding plugs and coils as MPGs will take a hit when those are on the way out. What about the fuel filter? I was going to swap it with the newer uprated version just because I have no idea what kind of fuel the previous owner used.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Honestly... if you wanted peace of mind do it. But those are a bit early for everything.

Once a coil goes, you'll know right away.

Is your car tuned?

Bryan259

Ready to race!
2013 r 2+ 3.31v apr im on R compounds R888's 225/40/18's and average 22.5 mpg pretty consistently i drive it hard and its 70% street 30% highway

^tune to stage 1 helped 2mpgs and stage 2+ has helped by another 2 mpgs^

keep it outa boost. Check your tire pressure. I can get upwards of 30-32mpgs on stock rims and tires with mostly freeeway

Last edited:

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
NORMAL. Traffic = not moving = 0 MPG when stopped! Cruising not in traffic = better MPGs. This forum will give you results from 15 mpg to 45 mpg. It's all in HOW and WHEN and WHERE you drive.

Coils and plugs will run you like $110 total, just do it for peace of mind. I'm at 40k and changed mine out at 20 and 40. Overkill? Yes. Peace of mind? Yes.

happy dubbing!

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Man, that's horrible. Mornings I get upwards of 35+mpg, reaching as high as 39. Afternoons when I'm throwing conservative driving out the window, I probably haven't seen lower than 24mpg thus far...