GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is there any OEM-looking options for a US owner with a mirrorlink incompatible phone for headunit upgrade/nav?

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
I checked crutchfield as some recommended and I really do hate those boxy style double dins that have been the aftermarket go-to for over a decade, and was hoping to find something like the RCD330G that could function in the US as a head and nav unit. I currently have a RNS315 from factory, but the headunit's screen has bleached out and cracked due to sunlight exposure I assume. I was thinking of popping in another RNS315 but I figured I'd see what my options were. The RCD330G looks pretty solid, but I hear it's not too friendly with non-NA drivers, or phones that don't support mirrorlink (I use OnePlus).

Is my only real option the RNS310 or RNS510?

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Look into Joying. They make a couple of VW speciific head units, and a bunch of "universal" options. I plan to order one soon.

As a brand they seeem to have come a long way and are now a legitimate competitor to the big brands like Kenwood and Pioneer. I haven't used one in person yet, but audio is a big hobby of mine and I"ve run several different head units in my GTI and on paper at least the Joying seems to be the winner. I plan on starting a thread once I get one installed.

I don't know how it will do with a non-mirrorlink phone, but you should be able to get your questions answered from the website, or their support team (which I've heard is very good).

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Look into Joying. They make a couple of VW speciific head units, and a bunch of "universal" options. I plan to order one soon.

As a brand they seeem to have come a long way and are now a legitimate competitor to the big brands like Kenwood and Pioneer. I haven't used one in person yet, but audio is a big hobby of mine and I"ve run several different head units in my GTI and on paper at least the Joying seems to be the winner. I plan on starting a thread once I get one installed.

I don't know how it will do with a non-mirrorlink phone, but you should be able to get your questions answered from the website, or their support team (which I've heard is very good).
Thanks for the heads up, looks like they cater mostly to Skoda, and not so much VW, but the radios should be interchangeable regardless. Let me know which one you're looking at since the 9" one for Skoda 10-13 (https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-n...m-for-vw-passat-skoda-seat-plug-and-play.html) seems to be the only one close to fitting our stock slot. Wondering how customizable they are since Skodas don't use the red accent lighting.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I did some digging and this unit has been around since 2015. Hopefully they've improved on some of the issues in the past since...
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/joying-branded-android-head-unit-installed.288378/
It's running on Android 10.0 with 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM. They also update the firmware, and you have as much custmization capabilities as you would any Android device. I'm a long time member on DIYmobileaudio, and a buddy there says that the new Joying units are pretty great, I'd hate for you to be disatisfied, but I think I'm going to pull the trigger, because on paper it's better than anything else that the big brands sell right now, with the exception (maybe) of Kenwood's newest floating screen flagship, but that one is $1,600, and I've always disliked Kenwood's UI.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
It's running on Android 10.0 with 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM. They also update the firmware, and you have as much custmization capabilities as you would any Android device. I'm a long time member on DIYmobileaudio, and a buddy there says that the new Joying units are pretty great, I'd hate for you to be disatisfied, but I think I'm going to pull the trigger, because on paper it's better than anything else that the big brands sell right now, with the exception (maybe) of Kenwood's newest floating screen flagship, but that one is $1,600, and I've always disliked Kenwood's UI.
Yeah true, and it uses its own Nav and doesn't require some wonky app via your phone. When you get it, let me know what you think. I'll probably jump onboard once I see your take.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
The OBDII option (as I understand it) is a bluetooth modual that plugs into the OBD port. It will send basic information to the head unit such as fault codes, allows you to use the head unit as a tach, speedometer, etc. It shows opened doors, and things like that. Many other head unit brands make models that are idatalink compatible, idatalink basically does the same thing.

Mine will be here tomorrow. I can do a quick "unboxing" and post a thread here, but I won't be able to get it fully installed for a bit because I'll need to redo some wiring, and reprogram my DSP. I'm also considering some "while I'm in there" stuff, so I probably won't have it fully up and running for a few days.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
The OBDII option (as I understand it) is a bluetooth modual that plugs into the OBD port. It will send basic information to the head unit such as fault codes, allows you to use the head unit as a tach, speedometer, etc. It shows opened doors, and things like that. Many other head unit brands make models that are idatalink compatible, idatalink basically does the same thing.

Mine will be here tomorrow. I can do a quick "unboxing" and post a thread here, but I won't be able to get it fully installed for a bit because I'll need to redo some wiring, and reprogram my DSP. I'm also considering some "while I'm in there" stuff, so I probably won't have it fully up and running for a few days.
did you get your unit? any first impressions?

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
did you get your unit? any first impressions?
I'll try to get some photos up, but first impressions are very positive. It boots up immediately (literally not boot lag), the screen is very nice, so far I have only noticed 1 compatibiity issue with the OEM system and that is a goofy thing with the navigation info in the center of the gauge cluster, but this could possibly be due to the OEM compass, I'm looking into it.

I haven't gotten much time with it yet, and some of the settings are tough to find, but I'm impressed so far.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
I'll try to get some photos up, but first impressions are very positive. It boots up immediately (literally not boot lag), the screen is very nice, so far I have only noticed 1 compatibiity issue with the OEM system and that is a goofy thing with the navigation info in the center of the gauge cluster, but this could possibly be due to the OEM compass, I'm looking into it.

I haven't gotten much time with it yet, and some of the settings are tough to find, but I'm impressed so far.
Awesome, thanks for the info. Gonna pull the trigger in a week or so.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Awesome, thanks for the info. Gonna pull the trigger in a week or so.
I'll keep you posted. I need to run the wires for the new backup camera, and tidy up the wiring a bit, as well as do some tuning. So far though, it's working really well. The 8" screen is plenty big for me, and I like having the physical volume knob and tuner knob with a couple of physical buttons. You can get a 9" version that fits our dash, but it's all touch screen and no physical buttons.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
I'll keep you posted. I need to run the wires for the new backup camera, and tidy up the wiring a bit, as well as do some tuning. So far though, it's working really well. The 8" screen is plenty big for me, and I like having the physical volume knob and tuner knob with a couple of physical buttons. You can get a 9" version that fits our dash, but it's all touch screen and no physical buttons.
what backup cam did you pick?