GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just Clowning Around

clownish

just clowning around
I really wish I could have gotten a Shadow Blue car... They had stopped production by the time I even started looking for a new vehicle. Very clean!

I actually wanted to keep it looking as OEM+ as possible, which is why I wanted to take the RS logo off. If I used Hyper Silver wheels instead of gunmetal, most people would probably think the wheels were stock.

My guys at the shop here are speculating that the soft feel is either needing a vagcom bleed, which I haven't wanted to get into yet or we actually do need to swap the master cylinder like some people have been saying. I'm not sure yet. The bleed is definitely the next step before buying more parts.

How do you like the Carbotech pads? I'm running some used Audi pads right now and I am ready to ditch them right now because the brake dust powdering is insane. 1 minute after washing my car, I'll get out and look at the wheels and the fronts will be almost purple because of the dusting.

SKorea808

Ready to race!
I really wish I could have gotten a Shadow Blue car... They had stopped production by the time I even started looking for a new vehicle. Very clean!

I actually wanted to keep it looking as OEM+ as possible, which is why I wanted to take the RS logo off. If I used Hyper Silver wheels instead of gunmetal, most people would probably think the wheels were stock.

My guys at the shop here are speculating that the soft feel is either needing a vagcom bleed, which I haven't wanted to get into yet or we actually do need to swap the master cylinder like some people have been saying. I'm not sure yet. The bleed is definitely the next step before buying more parts.

How do you like the Carbotech pads? I'm running some used Audi pads right now and I am ready to ditch them right now because the brake dust powdering is insane. 1 minute after washing my car, I'll get out and look at the wheels and the fronts will be almost purple because of the dusting.

I use Carbotech XP12 in the front, XP8 in the rear (suggested by a Carbotech Rep based off my setup/tires). They are extremely STRONG, I literally have braking power similar to that of a super car. I actually wanted to measure a 60-0 braking, similar to what Motortrend does to see where my car actually stands. The fronts dust nearly twice as bad as the rear does, within a few days my "BBS Gold" colored rims become a "Bronze". They dust really bad and will start to cake on if you don't clean regularly (luckily I do for the most part).

Only downsides I noticed are:
(1) alot of brake dust
(2) cost (fronts where around $240~, rears $170~)

clownish

just clowning around
Lies. You said CW is the best color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But having a Reflex Silver or Shadow Blue car available would have made my decision much harder. Choosing between red, shades of gray, and black or white made getting white an easy snap decision. ;)

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
i say do the vagcom bleeding first. it really doesn't take too long. it forces the abs pump to cycle then it'll have you bleed the fronts. i don't remember if it does the rears but i'm sure it only forces the fronts. shouldn't take that long... iirc

clownish

just clowning around
My pedal is not soft. Does my R have the same master cylinder as your Gti?

It should yes.

Tested it again. Most likely rotor wear since I mounted some used ones causing uneven feel. I'm going to get new pads and rotors.

I think the pedal feel should be about fixed with that - after so many bleeds it just feels nominal. Hoping the new hardware fixes that.

clownish

just clowning around
Okay. New rotors ordered. New pads ordered.

Rolled my fenders last night. Need to do some fender-lining rolling or trimming also. They do not fit at all anymore. Dropped the car 1/8th of an inch as an experiment. Can probably get away with another .5 inches.

Ordered a oe lip as well. Can't wait. Considering a few more odds and ends to install this month.

clownish

just clowning around
Nice! If you want it for the end of the month it may be too late... Usually lead time is about 10 business days unless someone happened to order several at once.

Also ordered some new color matched hatch inserts - mine is looking really rough after the winter and I scratched it pretty badly. Finally, got a bunch of detailing equipment and a double apex USB charger. Considering getting a gentex rear view mirror as well. Haven't decided yet.

Glory shot!

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Well... I installed new pads/rotors front and rear - OE Audi TTRS front rotors, Stoptech crossdrilled rears, and Hawk HPSs all around, so my new advice is don't use used pads or rotors from other people's cars, even if you know they have life on them. Doing so took care of the massive vibrating and missing brake feel, although it did not take care of the mushiness.

I think the rebleed I did after doing those new parts installs helped the feel a bit. I almost need to drive a stock Mk6 again to see how the brakes felt - it's been so long right now that mine feel normal. And regardless of mushiness or not, they still stop much quicker than the stock set up - proven via butt dyno... in "Mexico". I may end up replacing the master brake cylinder - but I know of several other cars - like over 6, with the same brake set up and their owners are all happy. So... maybe I'm just feeling the right stuff and feeling like its wrong.