GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Kenwood DMX809S & iDatalink Maestro Review

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
i picked up an Eonon VWA12S the moment it was released. it seemed perfect. nice big screen, upgraded cpu/ram, and runs the latest Android. and it supports the Dynaudio speakers in my Autobahn. so why am i reviewing a Kenwood? well, the Eonon didn't even last 3 days. and in those 3 days, the wireless Android Auto was pretty flaky -- only worked like 1/3 of the time, so on day 2 i already plugged my phone in by default. after it died, i contacted support and the turnaround time was terrible since they were on the other side of the world. they gave me a update to flash the unit but that didn't work. i had a brick. my hypothesis is that the recent crazy hot weather fried the electronics inside. it's a fanless design.

anywho, the RCD330 is up to $400 now. there were earlier reports that it didn't work well with Dynaudio/Fender that could be fixed with coding, but even after that people reported that it was "almost as good" as the original. since i care about audio quality, and my experience with Eonon already soured the idea of buying something from the other side of the world, i decided to bite the bullet and try a Kenwood, one of the grand daddies of car audio.

install was easy, since i already had practice. flashing the Maestro RR was straightforward as well. i had Crutchfield do all the wiring for me so it was all plug and play.

pros:
  • rock solid stability. wireless Android Auto is flawless. connection is never dropped and it auto connects within 10 seconds of getting in the car.
  • superb sound quality. it sounds amazing and tons of EQ options.
  • steering wheel integration -- the bottom-left button brings up Google Assistant.
cons:
  • literally everything else....
  • it didn't help that immediately before this i had the Eonon installed which had a gorgeous 9 inch 720p screen. it makes the 7 inch 480p of the Kenwood terrible in comparison.
  • responsiveness is garbage. the Eonon was like a big tablet and worked like your phone. the Kenwood has a 200-300ms lag between a touch and action.
    • i kid you not, the USB music navigation on my old RNS315, which is more than 10 years old, is faster/easier to navigate than this garbage.
    • this looks to be pretty common across all these head units. from YouTube reviews, Alpine and Sony head units have similar lag.
  • unintuive UI. it's 2023 and you can't swipe the screen... you have to hit arrow buttons like the 90s.
the Maestro can retain OEM features which is neat. the mic that gets used for Android Auto is the one in the Kenwood so there's no much point retaining the OEM Bluetooth. however, MDI support is nice since it gives me an extra USB stick for music (the unit only has a single USB input). the Maestro also has an OBD2 connector, but the features here are super barebones. pretty much anything else is better than this.

so i guess there you have it....for the things that matter; stability, wireless Android Audio, audio quality; it is awesome. for everything else, it's subpar or terrible. for the amount of money this thing cost i'm not sure it was worth it....

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I’ve been in car audio for a really long time. My GTI has had high end Pioneer, Kenwood, and mid tier Sony. The maestro is great. Every one of those head units had their glitches/quirks so I decided to try a Joying head unit for half the price. It has its own glitches/quirks, but no more than the more expensive head units I’ve used. It’s been really solid for me outside of the quirks, and I’m using the digital output to my DSP, so sound quality is great. I really like Kenwood, but for half the price this Joying has been excellent.