GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ko4 Upgrade and Emissions

Holty

Passed Driver's Ed
Probably a stupid question but I saw a new R at the dealership today, and it got me thinking. Did a quick search and didn't find anything on this topic. I guess my question is, is it possible to pass (California) emissions testing with a K04 upgrade? Has anyone done it? Would it take a custom tune, or would an APR, Revo GIAC etc. work? I'd like a bump up in power from the stage 1 tune, but getting hassled with emissions testing after 6 years doesn't sound fun.

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
Quick answer: No. The turbo itself has nothing to do with emissions/inspection.

It's the aftermarket downpipes and tunes (to not check cat) that fail you.

That being said, there is a stock downpipe tune for the K04.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
You can run a dp w/ spacers and a non-test pipe file, which would work in most states. I may run the K04 with stock dp tho, which APR says is about 300hp at the crank, so about 60 down, but completely stock look and sound, while passing emissions and perhaps more reliable for the engine overall. I still go back and forth on what I will do.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I was concerned about this for my future Stage 2 plans...what I intend to do is install the full APR turboback kit, buy the cat-back adapter flange, and keep my stock downpipe/midpipe. That way, once the car is 6 years old and I have to have it smogged, I'll just swap the stock emissions components in, have it smogged, swap them back out, and be on my merry way for 2 years until the next time I have to smog.

Supposedly, California is moving away from the sniffer test starting next year (or so I've heard); in that case the car only has to pass visual inspection and OBDII readiness check.

ns01gti

Go Kart Champion
I may run the K04 with stock dp tho, which APR says is about 300hp at the crank, so about 60 down, but completely stock look and sound, while passing emissions and perhaps more reliable for the engine overall. I still go back and forth on what I will do.

I haven't seen anything indicating that the K04 runs any more reliably on stock DP vs aftermarket DP.

Holty

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting points.Swapping out the DP wouldn't such a big deal for emissions I suppose, but if I kept the stock one (with spacers) just to pass emissions testing, but ran an aftermarket the rest of the time, then different tunes would be needed for the different down pipes correct?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I haven't seen anything indicating that the K04 runs any more reliably on stock DP vs aftermarket DP.

not talking about the dp ;) talking about having the boost / flash / file essentially "de-tuned" / turned down, a/k/a "running a conservative tune".

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
If you bought your car new from the dealership you have 6 years until you have to worry about this......by then you'll either sell the car or if it's easy to swap down pipes just do that and have APR put a non test pipe file on.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Whaaat!? For emissions testing only or an actual performance file that does not utilize an aftermarket downpipe?

more the latter, but definitely takes care of the former. Which is why I'm somewhat considering going that route, as said earlier.

DarkCloak

Banned
The car will fail due to oxygen sensor readiness. This test is designed to simulate cold start up emissions. It will also likely fail for NOX and HCs. Their are three problems with attempting to pass with the aftermarket downpipe:

1. Cat is too far from the turbo so it will not heat up quickly. This reduces the back pressure. Thus a cat installed farther to the rear can still be a fail as it will not be hot enough.
2. The high flow cat does not reduce enough emissions vs 2 OEM cats.
3. The second O2 sensor loop is disabled. so it will not ready itself for the test.

But,yes you can reflash your car to the stock downpipe, then install the factory downpipe. Clear all fault codes, drive it for a few days as the cat will need to get used to heating back up. It is also a good idea to clean/replace the secondary O2 sensor as it will be clogged with HCs (soot) and also to heat wrap your cat.

Also change your spark plugs so more fuel is burnt. Turbo cars usually have bigger issues with unburned HCs (I do not have any stats for this last claim but I have observed a trend for a while.)

When you go to get your test done it is very good practice to drive the car hard for a while as this will get the cat as hot as possible. The hotter the cat, the lower the emissions.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Probably a stupid question but I saw a new R at the dealership today, and it got me thinking. Did a quick search and didn't find anything on this topic. I guess my question is, is it possible to pass (California) emissions testing with a K04 upgrade? Has anyone done it? Would it take a custom tune, or would an APR, Revo GIAC etc. work? I'd like a bump up in power from the stage 1 tune, but getting hassled with emissions testing after 6 years doesn't sound fun.

We have software that will allow you to run a stock catalytic converter on the k04 for your emissions testing, and then software to run a high flow catalytic converter for "off road use only"

If you have a CBFA engine code, the stock downpipe will need to be modified with another O2 sensor.

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
We have software that will allow you to run a stock catalytic converter on the k04 for your emissions testing, and then software to run a high flow catalytic converter for "off road use only"

If you have a CBFA engine code, the stock downpipe will need to be modified with another O2 sensor.

where on the stock dp would the new O2 sensor need to go?

GTITX1

Ready to race!
Wouldn't it be easier to just "make friends" with an inspector, rather than go through all this work of swapping out exhaust parts every year.

DarkCloak

Banned
Wouldn't it be easier to just "make friends" with an inspector, rather than go through all this work of swapping out exhaust parts every year.

You mean bribing them? Depends, it is easy to swap out the downpipe and then reflash whereas taking the time and money into making a friend is a bit of a wild card. The test is only every two years and you do not have to get it for six years after the vehicle is purchased.

Last edited: