GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's Discuss Clutch Options (Disc, Pressure Plate, Flywheel) - Summary of discussion

jerome99

Go Kart Champion
alright i'm forever alone so i don't have anyone that can test the shifter while i watch. i did move my intake and remove the battery tray to get to my shifter links to install the 42dd bushings today. with the clear open area i played with the shifter mechanism and it looks like when it goes up (which i'm sure transfers to shifting right on the shifter) it drops back down to the middle point. when i push it down (which i'm assuming left on the shifter) it doesn't bounce back up. i disconnected the linkages to install the bushings and now when i play with the shifter, it acts as it should. so if i look at the linkages in my hand, how would i be able to tell it's binding on something? is it possible that it's the shift lever itself? i'm kind of at the point where if i install it back in the car and it works, i'm just going to pretend it didn't happen. but while they're out i'd love to know what to check specifically.

hope that all makes sense

well look for a lack of grease on all the rub points and make sure you lube up the slider and the pivot point that the side to side linkage fits on. throw that baby back on and see what happens :)

kern417

Go Kart Champion
I made a quick vid to show what's going on. let me know if you see anything.

i think it's something with the mechanism but i'm not sure how would i lube it? like i said in the video, when i removed the linkages, the shifter returned back to the middle as normal. after reinstalling the linkages it stuck. without the linkages installed, the shifter mechanism didn't have any kind of return, but i thought it was the linkage that should pull it back. perhaps something is worn out in there or not strong enough to pull it back? it's weird that this happened right after the clutch install. could the new transmission fluid apply more viscous force or something? it can't be that complicated but idk i'm just throwing out ideas.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
well look for a lack of grease on all the rub points and make sure you lube up the slider and the pivot point that the side to side linkage fits on. throw that baby back on and see what happens :)

what should i use for lube? just ask autozone for grease? when i had the pivot bracket uninstalled, i made sure everything moved freely. and it does move to the left easily, it just doesn't come back.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
yeah i checked that and it seems ok, but i'm not really sure what it's supposed to look like haha. i'm searching through golfmkv so hopefully i find something similar. i'm sure it's not vehicle specific but i'll need pics to know what to look for because i'm not familiar with all the terminology and names of individual parts :confused:

kern417

Go Kart Champion
sounds good, i hope it helps someone out. the main reason i think the fx350 sounds bad is because people hold it up to the wheel well. even when i stand outside the car it doesn't sound louder than the di ticking. but if i get under the car right next to the transmission then yes i can hear it distinctly. i'm sure it's much louder with the 6 puck, but this is very much liveable for me considering i can only really hear it with the windows down and a/c on...which i don't think i'll ever do in normal driving lol. and plus i noticed depressing the clutch one time made it go away.