GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's see your PC's

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Looks good, Merry Christmas to you. My 3rd monitor will be here tomorrow. Hopefully no burn in on this one. Not going to bother going for monitor #4. Considering the burn in on monitor #2 is not noticeable unless you're specifically looking for it, if monitor #3 is worse than monitor #2 I'll just send it back and stick with monitor #2.
Thanks, you too.

The monitor lottery is fun.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Also the 7800x3d is one of the most awkward chips to put thermal paste on.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Also the 7800x3d is one of the most awkward chips to put thermal paste on.

I imagine your fancy retention bracket doesn't make it easier lol.

I subscribe to the pea sized blob in the center method. Let it just do it's own thing.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Monitor #3 is the worst one yet. To the point I'm almost offended.

1703716005539.png

1703716041768.png

It's the same on the other side. No idea wtf this is from.

Supercrumpet

Ready to race!
It got built today.

The final list of components.
View attachment 297098

The end result.
View attachment 297095

View attachment 297096

View attachment 297097

Still gotta do some testing and play some games with it, but so far so good. It started first boot with no problems at all. The only thing I screwed up was I missed plugging the rgb into the mobo. I've had 0 issues with this thing so far.

I played a few minutes of cyberpunk before I did any cable management and had any of the panels installed. With everything on the highest setting I was only getting about 50 fps, but it was a very stable 50 fps. If it dropped it would only drop down to about 47. Temps were also good with the cpu maxing at 75 and the gpu at 66.

I'm also trying windows 11 for the first time.

Mind giving a quick review on the case itself? I've never even considered a case from a company that typically focuses on other products, but that one looks pretty nice, actually.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Mind giving a quick review on the case itself? I've never even considered a case from a company that typically focuses on other products, but that one looks pretty nice, actually.
It's probably the most popular medium form factor case right now. I can't say anything negative about it. The build quality is nice. I didn't see any kind of manufacturer defects or anything like that. My temps have been about where they should be. I've played Returnal and Cyberpunk for a couple hours in each now. Both games got my gpu up to about 66 degrees max. The highest I've seen my cpu get to was 82.5 degrees, but I have a cpu meant to run at 85 degrees. I'm really happy with everything so far.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Thanks, you too.

The monitor lottery is fun.

So monitor #4 will be delivered tomorrow. I didn't ask them to send another, but I didn't explicitly tell them not to send me one either. I just responded their email saying "Yo, monitor #3 is horrible and I'm going to be sending it back. You shouldn't send it out to anyone else.", and they just responded back saying they'll send another.

The problem is, these OLED monitors are super susceptible to burn in if you don't run the maintenance modes often. The burning becomes noticeable if you're looking for it, and sometimes in normal use (like #1 and #3). However, you can't really see it in diagnostic mode, which just cycles through six solid colors. So I imagine people send them back for burn in, someone runs diagnostic mode and says "Looks fine to me!" and Just tosses it back in the refurb pile to be cycled back into use.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
So monitor #4 will be delivered tomorrow. I didn't ask them to send another, but I didn't explicitly tell them not to send me one either. I just responded their email saying "Yo, monitor #3 is horrible and I'm going to be sending it back. You shouldn't send it out to anyone else.", and they just responded back saying they'll send another.

The problem is, these OLED monitors are super susceptible to burn in if you don't run the maintenance modes often. The burning becomes noticeable if you're looking for it, and sometimes in normal use (like #1 and #3). However, you can't really see it in diagnostic mode, which just cycles through six solid colors. So I imagine people send them back for burn in, someone runs diagnostic mode and says "Looks fine to me!" and Just tosses it back in the refurb pile to be cycled back into use.
I can see it now. Your house is nothing but monitors with burn in. Dell keeps sending them to you, but they won't stop no matter what. You've yelled at them and threatened them with a night tickle, but they just keep coming.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
I can see it now. Your house is nothing but monitors with burn in. Dell keeps sending them to you, but they won't stop no matter what. You've yelled at them and threatened them with a night tickle, but they just keep coming.

Sell them for $400 a pop. After about 200, can buy a turbo blue RS3.

I do only have 1 - 2 at a time though. I have to send the prior one back before they send a new one. It's not a constant stream of monitors building up in my office.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I do only have 1 - 2 at a time though. I have to send the prior one back before they send a new one. It's not a constant stream of monitors building up in my office.
For now.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
I think they finally did it. I think they finally sent me a monitor without any burn in! Monitor #4 looks good.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
It's wild to me how much form has trumped function in segments of the PC market. I've legit seen people who's highest priority when choosing a motherboard or GPU be what color it is. Not the brand, or features, or what model it is, but simply what color it is.

🤷‍♂️

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
It's wild to me how much form has trumped function in segments of the PC market. I've legit seen people who's highest priority when choosing a motherboard or GPU be what color it is. Not the brand, or features, or what model it is, but simply what color it is.

🤷‍♂️

🤷‍♂️ But that's probably true of lots of hobbies. Guys buy air suspension kits and 30 lb per wheel Rotis because they think it looks cool.

My approach has generally been: look up the "tier list" reviews, then look for aesthetics, then look for brands I've had experience with.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
@Acadia18

Buying new components & finding they are faulty I feel your pain!!...

I build my own computers, & tend to keep them a long time, resulting in them being “updated” in their lifespan. My current “Win10 Pro 64bit” computer I built back in 2015yr, (the power unit & Graphics card are actually older as they came out of the previous computer) & decided to give it a “refresh” with the Christmas sales. In fact I was going to do this just before the pandemic hit, but then the prices of parts went through the roof, so I left it until now!

I run “slow” WD “Black” spinny disc HDD in my computers & for external back-ups. I did try an SSD (Sandisk) in my laptop a few years ago, but it failed (out of warranty). The reason being I don’t use the laptop much, mainly for VCDS, so the long-term lack of voltage is known to cause the controllers to FUBAR!!

Anyway, as my 2015yr desktop PC had an unused M.2 slot (yes an older PCIe3 speed version) I ordered direct from the “brand” website a Crucial “T-500” 500GB PCIe4 NVMe & a Crucial “MX500” 1TB 2.5inch SATA SSD.

I then set about the install & swapping, in stages!

Now the “old” set-up was OS on one HDD, documents & photos etc on a different HDD, with Music on a different HDD, & another HDD acting as the daily internal back-up. This meaning there were 4x spinny disc HDD in the case!!

Now NVMe requires GPT, & not MBR, & the BIOS of the Mobo has to then be changed from “legacy” to UEIF. Cue lots of BIOS alterations, & testing, checking, initialising/formatting etc of the new NVMe drive. Once I was happy it worked I then used EaseUS Todo, & also their Partition Master (both the paid for versions) & converted the existing HDDs to GPT. Once I had done that I made new back-ups & then cloned the OS onto the new NVMe. (I decided against a fresh install as re-downloading over my internet connection & reinstalling all the drives I wanted to avoid!)

After runing the OS on the NVMe for a day & having done various tests etc., it was time to do the same for the SSD. So install it, check BIOS that it appears correctly, & load up windows…..cue trouble!!....It FUBAR’d the computer, & fecked up the SATA controller which basically ditched all the other SATA drives that were plugged in! So I did a forced shut-down, uninstall the SSD, & the computer now works ok. So install the SSD in an external USB3 case, so it won’t feck up the computer, & basically the SSD can’t be “initialised”. Also checked it by plugging the external case into my laptop & the same results! Used the various tools to check the SMART data & its showing

ID5, Reallocated NAND block count = 1 NAND blocks
ID174, Unexpected power loss count = 5 Unexpected power loss events
ID187, Reported Uncorrectable errors = 71 ECC correction failures

So I emailed Crucial & got an RMA from Crucial, but they state that I had to send the item back to them insured. Ok not a major problem. But then they stated that the replacement item would be coming from their EU warehouse I might be hit with incoming customs fees!!. So I just sent it back demanding a refund, ..feck paying customs!

I then ordered a Samsung 870EVO 1TB SSD, for the similar price, which happened to have a much higher TB write warranty! Anyway I got everything swapped over OK, & "touch wood" everything still works all ok!

I was unfortunate with the Crucial SSD, as them, Sandisk/WD, & Samsung are the best & there is always a small % failure rate chance! Just the customer service “returns charges” that I would have to pay out because they don’t keep stock in the UK…feck that!!...

So now I have a computer which even with a “slow” BIOS boot (if set to “fast” it’s impossible to react quick enough to get into the BIOS) can go from total off to full working in 50secs!!...This when it was circa 5mins!!!....Apparently GPT is faster at loading than MBR, which also helps.

Also, as I now have the OS on the NVMe, with all documents/photos/music on the single SSD, I then reused 2x of the old WD Blacks, as internal back-ups.

Photo below of the inside...nothing fancy, no LED lights, just gets on with the work!

P1233561-reduced.jpg