GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lights auto function & door creaks...

SVS

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi - I have a Euro spec 2011 GTI, and of late have noticed an issue with the auto function on the light switch. When I leave for work in the morning, and am driving in bright sunlight, the back lighting for the various dash switches is still on. Anyone experience problems with theirs, any easy fix or just something that will need to be replaced? Thankfully the car is still under warranty.

Also noticed both my front doors creaking while driving on uneven roads, and even while driving up ramps in the garage. I did do a search on the board, seems that its a matter of tightening the door catches, anyone done it themselves or better of getting it fixed by the dealer, its due for servicing next month.

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated...

Last edited:

BMW_to_MKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
We don't have the auto lamps in the US so I can't help you there. The creaking/flexing sound is well documented. I cured mine by lubricating the door lock assy and striker. I bought a sprayable dry lubricant that seems to work well.

booey1979

Go Kart Champion
We don't have the auto lamps in the US so I can't help you there. The creaking/flexing sound is well documented. I cured mine by lubricating the door lock assy and striker. I bought a sprayable dry lubricant that seems to work well.

where's the door striker?

Marvin

Ready to race!
I moved mine in a cm or so. It helped a lot.

Surely you're joking aren't you? A cm is a hell of a distance to move that door latch. a mm or so but never a cm.

Anyway we have been over this problem over and over again with various 'solutions' and mine has been solved to some extent by placing 1/4" dia. tubing between those felt door seals around each window.
When I occasionally have to drive over flat-ish grassed fields to park at special events the car's doors still door creak. Ah well, roll on the MK7 which hopefully may see the end to this but then introduce a raft of othe problems, no doubt.

Last edited:

SVS

Passed Driver's Ed

Thanks, I'll give that a try!!!