GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Locking my MK6 with the engine running

RMD

Hi guys. Posted previously, but perhaps in the wrong place?

Can I lock my 2011 tdi GT with the engine running, ie a key in it? There's no external manual key hole, unlike the wife's Audi. Don't want it nicked off the drive while warming it up. Thx.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
I'd think so? Never used an odbeleven personally though.

I think so as well, but I'm not a keyless car. Just throwing it out there as OBDE might be more accessible for OP than a Vagcom cable.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
There is an external key hole, you just need to pop the panel off of the door handle.
Right, but if the car is running the key would be in the ignition.
Unless the OP wanted to have one key in the ignition, with the car running, and use a 2nd key to lock & unlock the door.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Right, but if the car is running the key would be in the ignition.
Unless the OP wanted to have one key in the ignition, with the car running, and use a 2nd key to lock & unlock the door.
OP mentioned the lack of key hole, so I figured that using a second key was a potential option they were considering if there was a key hole.

RMD

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies.

I don't understand this: Check bit 2 of byte 4 in Central Electronics Long Coding Helper.

The plan would be to leave the ignition key in and the car running, but be able to lock the doors somehow, so it doesn't get pinched off my drive. There isn't a separate key hole on the drivers door.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Thanks guys, appreciate the replies.

I don't understand this: Check bit 2 of byte 4 in Central Electronics Long Coding Helper.

The plan would be to leave the ignition key in and the car running, but be able to lock the doors somehow, so it doesn't get pinched off my drive. There isn't a separate key hole on the drivers door.

This is a programming change you have to make in your car's ECU in order to do what you're asking. This particular wording is specific to using a VCDS tool. If you use an OBDEleven the wording may be different. Either way you will need to make a programming change.

re: keyhole -- are you saying there's nothing underneath the small trim piece at the end of the door handle?

RMD

This is a programming change you have to make in your car's ECU in order to do what you're asking. This particular wording is specific to using a VCDS tool. If you use an OBDEleven the wording may be different. Either way you will need to make a programming change.

re: keyhole -- are you saying there's nothing underneath the small trim piece at the end of the door handle?

Thanks for the reply. I'm not technically-minded enough to mess with programming an OBDs etc. Will take a look at the door lock and cover, as you've suggested. Cheers.