GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Loud screeching noise from engine bay

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Bringing back an old thread. I've got the same issue, broken driver's side stud. Noise came and went for a while making it hard to track down. Finally got it diagnosed - shop pulled the manifold and found it warped on the driver's side. Most of the stud fell out as they were pulling off the manifold and now there is just a little bit of it left in the head. I've got 80k on the car. Been stage 2 since 30k with no issues until now. Not sure what I'm going to do - seems like its going to cost a lot to get that stud out and I don't know if its worth it at this point. Oh well.

The shop should be able to extract the stud without removing the engine. It will take a 90 degree drill and then a screw extractor. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

mirchandise

Passed Driver's Ed
The shop should be able to extract the stud without removing the engine. It will take a 90 degree drill and then a screw extractor. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Unfortunately there’s a bit of the stud recessed in the hole. They’re suggesting pulling the head 😑

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion

the top left stud is notorious for not be able to be reached with any sort of right angle drill and extractor . Have heard of a few ways of people getting removed without pulling the engine or head though

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Unfortunately there’s a bit of the stud recessed in the hole. They’re suggesting pulling the head 😑

Thats a bit excessive. They should be able to do it without removing the head.

the top left stud is notorious for not be able to be reached with any sort of right angle drill and extractor . Have heard of a few ways of people getting removed without pulling the engine or head though

Yes, you have to remove the motor mounts and lift/tilt the engine forward to gain clearance between the head and the firewall. If you do this, you can access it with a 90 degree drill and an extractor. Keep in mind it will take skill and patience.