GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Major help needed golf mk6 revs bouncing and stalls on a cold start

Cheemz123

https://youtube.com/shorts/LFkvhbrjW0U?si=vhTM85RdlGhWkzsp

Video 1 from 2 days ago:My cars rpm bounces up and down on a cold start and shakes a lot.

It sometimes dies after like 10 seconds of the rpm trying to stabilise unless I give it gas at 1k revs which seems to help it stabilise while idle. It drives normal after the cold start.

Video 2 today(worsened after driving): Now the car when just started is completely fine but when ever I try drive it it stalls. To get it moving I have to put it into neutral and rev it to 2k revs (but then the white smoke is given off which is seen in vid 2) in which it drives like normal afterwards and I can stop and move with ease. The problem only seems to happen when I turn the car on initially.
Also a strong burning fuel smell is given off once revved past that 2k and lingers for 5-10 seconds before it goes.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Car is a vw golf 1.6 diesel.

Last edited:

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Check the injectors?
Visually inspect the motor, all the seals

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion

You might have bad gas. Check all the seals of the motor, make sure the oil cap is on and that the dipstick is in there good.

Remember, engines need air, fuel, and spark to operate. Since diesels don't need spark, you're left with just air and fuel. Having an air issue would give you a CEL (loose hose/clamp/pipe). Naturally that leaves us with a fuel issue, an injector not firing right/being clogged.

Cheemz123

You might have bad gas. Check all the seals of the motor, make sure the oil cap is on and that the dipstick is in there good.

Remember, engines need air, fuel, and spark to operate. Since diesels don't need spark, you're left with just air and fuel. Having an air issue would give you a CEL (loose hose/clamp/pipe). Naturally that leaves us with a fuel issue, an injector not firing right/being clogged.
How I would I notice that the injector isn’t working right is there anything I would need to look for on the injectors

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
How I would I notice that the injector isn’t working right is there anything I would need to look for on the injectors
Just see if they're clogged?
Somebody's gotta help me out cuz I don't have a diesel and don't actually know what to look for.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Could I use diesel purge and it clear out the injectors?
I don't know what that is.
Throw some searches into the forum to find some related threads. They might be able to give you ideas.