GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MASTER CLUTCH APPLICATION GUIDE - WHAT DO WE REALLY NEED?

I'm also looking for advices on this SouthBend drop in disc... I'm in Montreal Quebec (Canada) and called 2 local shop. they both charge 4 hours for the install and one of the shop has no issues recommending the drop in disc. the other shop says they wont install because it is not reliable. This is not what I am reading online.

Any comments? I have been stage 2 for about 8K km and I'm not driving the GTI too hard but it will slip when pushed hard in 5th or 6th. I dont intend on going more than what I'm tuned now.

I have 38K km.

The one shop could just be worried about the shape your flywheel and pressure plate will be in when they remove the stock clutch.

The stage 3 disk in my Ringer Racing clutch kit is very much l like the SB drop in disk, mine just uses a full face Cerametalic material instead of the more aggressive Feramic.

mrhappy

Passed Driver's Ed
The one shop could just be worried about the shape your flywheel and pressure plate will be in when they remove the stock clutch.

The stage 3 disk in my Ringer Racing clutch kit is very much l like the SB drop in disk, mine just uses a full face Cerametalic material instead of the more aggressive Feramic.

I don't understand why we cant just drop in other discs... Wouldn't they "fit"? I just want to limit my expenses since I wont be going higher than stage 2 and I'm not really driving too hard. Best bang for buck I guess! :)

I don't understand why we cant just drop in other discs... Wouldn't they "fit"? I just want to limit my expenses since I wont be going higher than stage 2 and I'm not really driving too hard. Best bang for buck I guess! :)

You can but the pressure plate and flywheel need to have a clean surface that has no grooves in it which it will have with plenty of miles on it, so you cant just drop in another disk without dealing with the other surfaces. You wouldn't put brand new brake pads on a old rotor without turning (resurfacing) it or replacing it would you?

If you drop in a new disk without resurfacing the other parts the disk material will get chewed up really quick which will make a huge impact on the life of the new disk. So what you need to do is ask the shops if they are able to have a dual mass flywheel resurface along with resurfacing the stock pressure plate to keep the over all step height correct. These might be a few reasons some shops are not willing to do the drop in disk setup on a stock clutch setup that has a good amount of miles on it.

I am a South Bend dealer so I do offer the SB drop in disk on my site. Just lately I had CM build me a few different custom private label kits, one of those kits uses a different OEM self adjusting pressure plate that CM then modifies for more clamping load. My self adjusting clutch kits are designed to be used with the stock dual mass flywheel which I am even able to get resurfaced for a set fee.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
think of it like having a tire blow out. you could just replace the tire, but the dealer won't guarantee that there isn't damage to the wheel too. if there is and you just put the tire on, it won't last long or work optimally. but you won't know for sure until you open 'er up.

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
I too have slippage on APR K04 3.1 with a South bend Stage 2 Daily. Same scenarios as Mustache rash and similar mileage (20k stage 2). Slipped immediately from the shop essentially. It has been below 50 most days though.

zipsled

Ready to race!
I have 750 miles on my SB Stage 2 Endurance.
If this is the silent version, I'd hate to hear its predecessor. You can definitely hear the gear chatter at idle with the clutch out. Gear lash is more audible, but not annoying.
It's a trade-off...I definitely like the release point, the quick-shifts, and overall performance, but the chatter is loud. It's all good, though. I knew going in it would be something to deal with...and I am dealing.

JT641

Banned
Update:

I now have 36,669 on my South Bend Stage 2 Endurance and Still Holding Strong and Showing No Signs of Slipping, Couldn't be Happier with my clutch choice :thumbup:

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
Update:

I now have 36,669 on my South Bend Stage 2 Endurance and Still Holding Strong and Showing No Signs of Slipping, Couldn't be Happier with my clutch choice :thumbup:

What is your split of city or highway driving? My concern is wear as I drive a good amount of city. I currently have the daily set up because of my driving situation.

JT641

Banned
What is your split of city or highway driving? My concern is wear as I drive a good amount of city. I currently have the daily set up because of my driving situation.

Same here. I do around 60 to 65% city and 40 to 35% Highway Driving

Cole Trickle

Ready to race!
CTS Turbo Recommendations for Stock, Stage 1 (includes steel flywheel):
FX100 / FX200 / FX250 / FX300

CTS Turbo Recommendations for Stage 1, Stage 2, K04 kits (includes steel flywheel):
FX350 Full Face Disc - highly recommended, great pedal feel
FX400 8 puck option- smoother engagement than 6 puck - highly recommended
FX400 6 puck option- aggressive clutch for high power cars

Clutchmasters Torque Ratings as per Website:
FX100 - 350 ft lbs
FX250 - 390 ft lbs
FX300 - 480 ft lbs
FX350 - 480 ft lbs
Source: http://clutchmasters.com/custom/documents/17375_PR.pdf

These recommendations from CTS Turbo don't add up to me.

I plan on going Stage 2, which according to most advertisements should put me at ~300 ft lbs at the crank.

If Stage 2 would only put me at 300 ft lbs, why are CTS Turbo recommending the FX350, a clutch that is rated for 480 ft lbs? Based on Clutch Master's advertiesd torque ratings, I should be just fine with an FX100.

Can anybody explain this?

These recommendations from CTS Turbo don't add up to me.

I plan on going Stage 2, which according to most advertisements should put me at ~300 ft lbs at the crank.

If Stage 2 would only put me at 300 ft lbs, why are CTS Turbo recommending the FX350, a clutch that is rated for 480 ft lbs? Based on Clutch Master's advertiesd torque ratings, I should be just fine with an FX100.

Can anybody explain this?

You could get away with the FX100 or even the FX250 if your stage 2 is rated at 300 ft lbs if the car is just a daily driver. Most times it is better to go with slightly more clutch since the torque ratings of the clutch are while the car is rolling at speed, the torque at the clutch will increase during higher engine loads and launching.

Here are the ratings I have for the CM kits.
FX100 = 350
FX250 = 390
FX300 = 435
FX350 = 480
FX400 = 560

I offer a self adjusting Stage 1 kit with OEM organic disk that holds 50% more tq then the stock FSI/TSI clutch kit.

Last edited:

12bluemk6

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

Can someone please point me to the cheapest place to buy an FX400? I need the full kit (FW/PP/Disc)

Also looking for some input, I can't decide on a clutch lol I really want the FX400 but i'm not looking to spend 1400. trying to be at ~1200 or less. Stage 3+ probably in the future so....

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Can someone please point me to the cheapest place to buy an FX400? I need the full kit (FW/PP/Disc)

Also looking for some input, I can't decide on a clutch lol I really want the FX400 but i'm not looking to spend 1400. trying to be at ~1200 or less. Stage 3+ probably in the future so....

Thanks!

I offer forum discounts on the Clutch Masters kits that I already offer at a discounted price on my site, also offer discounts on my kits which are custom made for me by Clutch Masters. The CM FX400 with flywheel lists at $1290, with my forum discount you would be looking at $1044.90 shipped in the states and even includes free set of 10.9 flywheel bolts. But if this is your daily driver I would suggest my stage 4 kit instead which is the same CM pressure plate but with a full face disk with full face material on both sides, costs a little more then the FX400 but is more street friendly. My stage 4 with flywheel kit will run you $1146.65 shipped in the states and also includes the free set of 10.9 flywheel bolts.

Both of those kits can be found here on my web site.
http://www.ringer-racing.com/category.sc?categoryId=143

Forum coupons
Clutch Masters kits is CM-FORUM-DISCOUNT
Ringer Racing kits is RR-FORUM-DISCOUNT

Have any questions about either kit feel free to email me or call me directly, you can reach me 7 days a week.

Last edited:

JT641

Banned
Another update, Still going strong. Done at 17,413 as of 2 minutes ago 57,428 = 40,015 Wahoo :thumbup: