GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mirror defroster question

VWGTIMK6

Ready to race!
How do you turn on the mirror defrosters on the gti's? im so used to american cars with the buttons, the mirror nob has a defrosting symbol on it, and the nob does turn 360, (or am I breaking the switch)? just want to be prepared for winter and was curious as we have had a few cold nights here in ny and they were getting fogged.

VDub905

Passed Driver's Ed
push the knob down.....at least that is how it was explained to me. i haven't had to use it yet.

cmlteg

Passed Driver's Ed
u would think they give u a book when u buy the car, ohh wait they do its call owners manual lol, yeah just push the know down n turn it

VWGTIMK6

Ready to race!
books... i cant read. dont you think i looked in there? oh wait. I DONT have a manual, and i havent had a chance to go to the dealer to get the replacment... sooo why not just answer the question instead of being a twat? turrah

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
Yes it is a strange thing. As you say the knob revolves 360 but there is a white dot on the knob. I twist it until the dot lines up with the heater emblem then rock it towards the emblem and it clears the mirror. Its actually always facing there because I don't have to adjust the mirrors as they are always set for me. ;)

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
push the knob down.....at least that is how it was explained to me. i haven't had to use it yet.

It was explained to you wrong.

You have to rotate the power mirror knob counterclockwise such that the knob's indicator aligns with the little defrost icon on the trim piece that surrounds it.

My dealership explained NOTHING to me about my car. They simply handed me the keys - much to my disgust. An hour or so worth of self learning (owner's manual and some playing around with controls) proved very helpful.

VWGTIMK6

Ready to race!
if i had the manual itd be no problem but work and school prevents me from making the trip during their normal operation hours. if you can snag a picture i would appreciate it as well, great for future reference for other members.

and i agree, the dealer explained NADA, not that the genius knew anything to start with

VDub905

Passed Driver's Ed
good to know there was another detail my dealership and salesperson left out.
Like giving me the old map software for my nav system (then telling me i would have to pay $100 for Version 2, or $200 for the most recent version)
The AC control for the glovebox
Telling me I had full phone control through the car, like dialing, etc....until i find out I have the 9W2 Bluetooth which does nothing close to that. (had to buy the upgrade privately)

list goes on......

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I would have insisted on having a feature walk through before leaving the dealer with my new car had it not been offered.

Also, if the owners manual was not available at time of delivery, I would expect the dealership to overnight one to me once it was available.

VWGTIMK6

Ready to race!
ok no problem, so turn the dash on the nob to the defrost symbol. got it. i thought i was breaking the dial but turning it that far

VWGTIMK6

Ready to race!
vdub i know how you feel. Loaner car.. sure that's available for all our customers. But you have to pay for it from enterprise... no walkthru on the car, tire pressure monitor system, dosent monitor anything other than blow outs and total flats, no digital readouts for each tire and no sensors installed in the wheels, homelink not included even with sun and sound package, matching full size spare, not an option if you have 18" detroits, leather arm rest even on cloth interiors for 2011's and so on and so on...

Keltacer

Passed Driver's Ed
I just picked up my GTI tonight from the dealership. Is the mirror switch supposed to be lit with the headlights on? My switch does not light up, which I found kind of irritating when I was trying to adjust the mirrors at night on the highway.

dennybak

Ready to race!
I just picked up my GTI tonight from the dealership. Is the mirror switch supposed to be lit with the headlights on? My switch does not light up, which I found kind of irritating when I was trying to adjust the mirrors at night on the highway.

pretty sure they light up

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
VW should have put a light on the mirror telling the driver the the defrost is working. I didn't really care for this dial that does 360 degrees, you can't tell if they are working or not.

RPS99SHO

Ready to race!
Its actually always facing there because I don't have to adjust the mirrors as they are always set for me. ;)

Careful - here in the US if that switch is on your mirrors are being heated 24/7. There is no auto time-out. They are on until you move that switch back.

VW should have put a light on the mirror telling the driver the the defrost is working. I didn't really care for this dial that does 360 degrees, you can't tell if they are working or not.

Exactly. Repeating my point above, if that switch is moved to the defrost position, the mirrors are heating until you turn that switch off. No notification light, no time-out.