GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 to '14 Forester...good choice?

DubbleThePleasure

Passed Driver's Ed
So I have owned my GTI for 2 1/2 years now and have absolutely loved it. Except of course whenever I go backpacking and need to go off road and haul a bunch of gear and dirty buddies. Not to mention the GTI is deadly in snow or rain, so I am really looking for a mpg concious AWD. I won't even lie, I've been having nightmares the past few nights about missing my GTI, but I'm sure this is something I must do.

So I am planning on trading the car in and getting a compact SUV. All signs have been pointing me towards the 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium or 2.0XT Premium. Seems to be a really solid car and a good price. Anybody out there have some comments or suggestions for me?

Thanks

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Given your mods you will miss the power and you'll trade for a worse interior and more utilitarian car.

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
i'd definitely drive the xt to see how much of a performance hit you'd be taking, especially considering that cvt. could be surprising in a good way though.

DubbleThePleasure

Passed Driver's Ed
Given your mods you will miss the power and you'll trade for a worse interior and more utilitarian car.

That's exactly the point. The "worse interior" and "utilitarian" are what I'm going for. I have so much interior damage to my GTI from loading gear in and out and reckless passengers that I need something "worse" so as not want to punch the living sh*t out of my best friend for busting the flaps on my rear vents or breaking the speaker covers, etc etc.

Before I just wanted to look fast and look good doing it. I often didn't want people in my car for the exact reasons mentioned above. But now, life is different, I'd rather enjoy the company of my friends then just go fast and look good. Which the GTI was damn good at.

The Forester is a suprisingly good ride for being an SUV. It is built on the Impreza frame and packs 170HP (2.5i) or 250HP (2.0XT). Honestly it handles corners more enjoyably than the GTI. Having AWD excites me more than anything.

DubbleThePleasure

Passed Driver's Ed
very awesome videos, badass!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
That's exactly the point. The "worse interior" and "utilitarian" are what I'm going for. I have so much interior damage to my GTI from loading gear in and out and reckless passengers that I need something "worse" so as not want to punch the living sh*t out of my best friend for busting the flaps on my rear vents or breaking the speaker covers, etc etc.

Before I just wanted to look fast and look good doing it. I often didn't want people in my car for the exact reasons mentioned above. But now, life is different, I'd rather enjoy the company of my friends then just go fast and look good. Which the GTI was damn good at.

The Forester is a suprisingly good ride for being an SUV. It is built on the Impreza frame and packs 170HP (2.5i) or 250HP (2.0XT). Honestly it handles corners more enjoyably than the GTI. Having AWD excites me more than anything.
Sounds like your mind is made up... although if you truly want a car you don't worry about a new car is the last thing I'd do...

The XT sounds like a fun compromise between what you have now while the 2.5i sounds pretty tame.

flyguy27

Ready to race!
You've had 2.5 years in your GTI. Thats plenty of time. Go ahead and make the switch. Trade up in another 2.5years to an MK7 if you have remorse.

Zach84

Ready to race!
I just traded mine in on a 2012 Xterra, don't miss it...

Also, how was the Gti bad in the rain? I owned mine when I lived in South Florida, worst rain you can drive in, hands down, and it did fine.

misaka

Ready to race!
Have you considered an A3 Quattro for about 30k? Or if you like the taller ride, you could go with a Tiguan AWD model for about 26k. The mpg is about the same (on the A3 quattro), and it's a very similar car to the GTI if AWD is your main concern. Or an Impreza WRX is in that range too and would handle better.

You could probably recycle your intake on the Tiguan, and maybe on the A3 and probably parts of the exhaust.

spagett!

Go Kart Champion
If it fits your needs then it is what you should get. Downside is you can't call yourself a car enthusiast anymore.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
I went from a Forrester to the GTI. While I like my GTI, I must admit, I do miss the Forrester from time to time.

If that's the car that makes sense for your lifestyle, then go for it.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Why cant you trade a tiguan, its fun to drive in its class and you get the same engine as the gti (but obviously not as fast bc of ride height and more weight). The auto i hear is better than most slush boxes (not dsg), and you can get panoramic sunroof