GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Digital Cockpit retrofit

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I suspect part of the "use the A on older cars" isn't so much a recommendation as much as just how things happened. The A's were the only thing available at first (obviously, haha) so earlier cars all had the A version. There is a non-lettered version that we won't speak of, that I believe does not have the ability show maps. As VW transitioned from A's to B's it was found that cars of a certain newness had issues with the A's. At that time you could probably still get A's, and they were probably less expensive than a B.

So for those doing this retrofit the sentiment became "Get an A for an older car (because we know it work and it's probably cheaper) while you must get a B for newer cars." Updating from A to B is not a proposition that makes much sense. You're buying another cluster, or spending the 8 hours for nothing, most likely. Now you can only get the B, which will likely be fine. If there are issues I would bet you could sell a used, low-mileage B for very near what you paid for it.

As an example of VW getting rid of old letter versions in their inventory, and also not removing them from inventory once sold out... When I went to order the camera module for 360 Areaview VW still listed a B version as available, and it was discounted to something silly like $130. The C was available, not yet discounted and the D was available and current. Both the C and D were over $400. I tried ordering the B from at least 5 places, knowing I could update the software to C or D myself. All eventually responded that they were no longer available.

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
quick question, after my retro fit, the programmer had set the display to use the graphic for the 2 door gti. I figured out how to change it to the 4 door variant with obd11, so I can have rear door indicator when they're open. it is however, the base golf model. is there a different graphic for the gti? or they all use the golf graphic? can tell from the exhaust/valence.

Attachments

• IMG_2362.jpeg
    IMG_2362.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
@Cuzoe, ah glad it worked for you as well. It's a nice indicator for sure. I want to hear more on the EPB retrofit. Really wanted to do it but got apprehensive after looking at some of the wiring to/from the ABS module to the switch. Still interested though!

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Just got my cockpit and was all excited to test it in the car, looked great and of course it was screaming at me with all the fault codes.

Popped in the old cluster and the dash still looked like a Christmas tree, It appears that when the new cluster was in the car it wiped the ABS module coding completely, and even worse is that i couldn't find any info on that online.

So if that happens to you(Always have a backup of your entire car's coding!.), you will need to recode the ABS module, just put it the old values that were deleted.
Then you would need to perform the basic settings for all the Sensors, Make yourself a favor and just get a VAS5054, ODIS's Guided Fault Finding makes it so easy.
And lastly the Steering angle sensor, just rotate the steering wheel all the way left to mechanical lock and then to the right, light should go away.

Hope that helps someone.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It may have been mentioned somewhere in the thread, but is good info now... yes swapping the dash will cause the ABS to wipe itself due to the VIN mismatch. Certainly all you retofit-ters have backups right :LOL:.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
I’ve heard if you leave the ignition on while swapping clusters the abs coding won’t get wiped. Still prudent to save the coding down before meddling!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I think that is correct... maybe VIN is checked once when ignition is turned on (or shortly after) and the wipe happens if there's a mismatch at that point.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I’ve heard if you leave the ignition on while swapping clusters the abs coding won’t get wiped. Still prudent to save the coding down before meddling!
Oh that makes sense, Seen a lot of cockpit install vids and in all of them the ignition was on in the process, Thought it's not safe to do.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

I think that is correct... maybe VIN is checked once when ignition is turned on (or shortly after) and the wipe happens if there's a mismatch at that point.

When I swapped clusters on my MK7 R, SimaServis had me yank out the old cluster with the ignition on. So that all tracks.

But talk about nerve wracking! "Ok, leave the car on, and swap the clusters..."

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
When I swapped clusters on my MK7 R, SimaServis had me yank out the old cluster with the ignition on. So that all tracks.

But talk about nerve wracking! "Ok, leave the car on, and swap the clusters..."
He also pulled the codes before making any swaps so it could be reprogrammed if wiped

axsys

Car(s)
2016 GTI
How does this gauge look with a manual transmission? Is there still a "bubble" in the middle of the tachometer where the automatic drive indicators would normally be? If so, what are the options for that spot on a manual?

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
How does this gauge look with a manual transmission? Is there still a "bubble" in the middle of the tachometer where the automatic drive indicators would normally be? If so, what are the options for that spot on a manual?
You can put a number of things in there; I usually have avg. trip MPG (the "Economy" view) going. In the standard/classic view you're describing, I believe it shows the current gear and the upshift/downshift suggestions the car likes to make.