GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More Karthoum Wheels and Poll

Should I paint the edge of my new Karthoum wheels?

• Paint the silver edge of the Karthoums gloss red

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Paint the Karthoums all gloss black

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Keep the Karthoums as is

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • Go back to Detroit's

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Buy some OZ's or VMR's

Votes: 26 39.4%

• Total voters

pvivino

Ready to race!
So after cbhood and then DvS21 got their Karthoums at a great deal:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7574
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7739
I had to get a set for myself especially since I live only 45 mins from the dealer. I wanted them when I bought the car but couldn't find a car with them. At first I hated Detroits, but then grew to like them, so I went with them. I got a lot of positive comments about them but was always planning on changing them to OZ's or VMR's.

Now they are on the car and look good. I am thinking about painting the little silver edge red to match the calipers. What do people think? It would be a fair amount of work to tape them up and paint them but could be done. Or I could go all black.

Please don't tell me to lower the car - I have too many speed bumps in my area and already bottom out my Alfa's when I go over them

Attachments

• Karthoum1.jpg
    Karthoum1.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 1,384
  • Karthoum2.jpg
    Karthoum2.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 776
  • Karthoum3.jpg
    Karthoum3.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 736
  • Karthoum4.jpg
    Karthoum4.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 442

scbastv

Ready to race!
i voted to keep them as is...

i am a big fan of black wheels with a red lip on them, but i am NOT a fan of painting stock wheels...

just buy something aftermarket and KEEP your stock wheels as they are in case you ever decide to sell/trade your car

DvS21

Ready to race!
I thought about painting them too. But I decided to keep them as is. I just don't know if I could make it work right.

Anyway, you went with an awesome set of wheels, I think just leave 'em, and save up for a set of aftermarket's if it's that big a deal.

Also, how AWESOME was this deal!@#^$)#(*&!@!!!!!

cbhood

Passed Driver's Ed
I would leave them as is too. I didn't like the silver edge in pictures, but in person and on the car it works. They look good on the United Gray too. DvS21 and I both have the Carbon Steel, so I wasn't sure, but it looks good to me, changes the overall look of the car.

My take on the Detroits is that I like them way better than the Denvers, but they are very common. I understand they are standard on the 2011 now. I don't think you will see many Karthoums - unless you see me, which is very possible considering how close we are.

When I bought them I figured worse case if I hated them on the car, I could sell them for at least what I paid, probably for more. The rubber alone with worth that much. That's why I had to post about it - the deal was tremendous. Now that I have them on the car, I love them.

DvS21

Ready to race!
I would leave them as is too. I didn't like the silver edge in pictures, but in person and on the car it works. They look good on the United Gray too. DvS21 and I both have the Carbon Steel, so I wasn't sure, but it looks good to me, changes the overall look of the car.

My take on the Detroits is that I like them way better than the Denvers, but they are very common. I understand they are standard on the 2011 now. I don't think you will see many Karthoums - unless you see me, which is very possible considering how close we are.

When I bought them I figured worse case if I hated them on the car, I could sell them for at least what I paid, probably for more. The rubber alone with worth that much. That's why I had to post about it - the deal was tremendous. Now that I have them on the car, I love them.

Same with me, I figured if they didn't look right, I would just go ahead and sell them for 1k or so... but they just look sooooo damn good.

pvivino

Ready to race!
I do like them much better than Detroit's. The deal was way too good to pass up. They do look better in person than they do in pictures. I think in pictures the edge looks white against the black but in person you can tell they are silver.

I was going to go with bright silver wheels because I never owned black and wasn't sure how they would look with United Gray. Now that I have them I definitely like the black wheel with car color.

plat

Ready to race!
I think karthoums with the red lining will look good on a Tornado Red finish. With your UG finish, I think the red lining will make the wheels look out of place and funny. I say just keep it as-is.

cbhood

Passed Driver's Ed
You can't go wrong with OZ or VMR either, and I like the VMR's in hyper silver. I had actually planed on doing that when the original rubber wore out. But now that I have the Karthoums I probably won't. But you are going to spend more $ to go aftermarket vs this deal.

pvivino

Ready to race!
So when I posted this poll I was thinking of a look like this tirerack wheel but nicer: http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_gar...eelModel=MR116&wheelFinish=Black+w/Red+Stripe

The votes are going for OZ and VMR but I think I like the Karthoums as they are now (with no additional paint). People are obsessed with the VMR's which are nice but when I get tired of the Karthoums in a year or two I'll get a set of OZ's. They have the lowest weight of any of the wheels I am interested in.

Not sure if I will use the Detroits for snow/ice winter tires or sell them.

pvivino

Ready to race!
I've gotten more compliments on my new Karthoums in the 4 days that I have had them on the car than any other wheel that I have had on any other car. I'm definitely keeping them on the car as is.

(Actually people used to love my Fikse FM/10 on my silver 911)

cbhood

Passed Driver's Ed
Yup, me too. I get a lot of people saying they like them. Of course my wife hates them, but who cares?

MAW73

I Love them just the way the are to be honest.... really, really nice wheels.

Did you get them especially finished the way they are now?

pvivino

Ready to race!
I Love them just the way the are to be honest.... really, really nice wheels.

Did you get them especially finished the way they are now?

The pictures are how the come from VW - Mostly gloss black with a thin machined/clear coat edge. One of these days I'll wax them and see how they look.