GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My APR K04 install,experience

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
My APR K04 install, *UPDATED 1/18*

I know a few people have done reviews on the k04 kit recently, so I won't go into too much detail, but thought i'd share my experience.

Pricing: I bought most everything during the APR winter sale.
Ko4- $2,400 shipped
Ultimate Racing DP catted, resonated-$499 shipped
APR Carbonio- $180 shipped (used on ebay!)
APR FMIC and AWE TOP- $1,082 shipped (USP had an extra 10% discount for items under $1k)
Install-k04- $840
Install- FMIC and AWE TOP- $500
***SouthBend Endurance Clutch- $1,200 ($1,050+shipping+taxes)*** Updated 1/18
Clutch install- $300 (Redline Speedworx)
TOTAL: $7,001

Thoughts on install and pricing
: When you add up everything at once, it's an expensive proposition. It's not as simple as order the k04 and install for $2,300. Yes, there's cheaper ways to do it such as the S3 intercooler and doing the install yourself, but if I'm spending ~$5k on my $25k car, I want to make sure it's done properly. I feel confident I went with the top products and that takes a lot of questions out of my head, i.e. If I had only gone with.... Also, I saved some money by not going stage 1 or stage 2 first. I went straight from stock as I knew I was going to go k04 at some point, so I sucked it up and eventually saved a good amount of money by not flashing the ecu and then having to pay again to have it flashed to k04. However, it's not for the faint of heart, dropping $5k is a significant investment, and don't tell the wife :)

Impressions on driving: This thing is faasssssttttt. No question that there's a significant boost in power. I had a stage 2 mk5 before this, and this thing would blow it out of the water. I only have driven about 50 miles on the car, so i'm assuming the ecu is still adapting a bit, but the car is a beast in any and all gears. Much, much quicker than stage 2, it will definitely role with some of the big boys.

Concluding thoughts: The car is super fast. I went with the UR catted and resonated dp because I wanted it to be quiet. It's very quiet. It feels like driving a stock car with a lot more power, which was my goal. I expect to blow out the clutch within 10,000 miles (I only have 4k on the car), so that will be another $1k and install, which I expect to be around $700 (not positive). So all in, I'm looking at over $7k. Is it worth it? If someone said, give me $7k and i'll give you 365 hp, I'd say no. However, for some reason, since you buy it in pieces, it doesn't seem that bad. Being a little bit older, I am able to pay for it in cash. When I was younger and modding my cars, I didn't always play by that rule, and I would encourage anyone to think long and hard before dropping it on a credit card, especially if you're younger. So, yes I'm very happy with the increase in power. It was a fairly painless process, and it's nice to have a car that is fast when I want it to be and civilized when I want it to be. I have the ultimate sleeper with stock exterior and suspension, and the downpipe is as quiet as stock, so that's going to be pretty fun to sneak up on some people.

Quick vid, this doesn't really do it justice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPphEF8M7E8

***Update 1/18/12**** after putting about 750 miles on the k04 my clutch is starting to slip. It's pretty significant in third and fourth, and even slips a bit in 6th gear on the highway. I recieved an estimate for $2k installed for the South Bend Endurance clutch ($1,050+taxes+shipping+ ~$800 for install). I only have 4,000 miles on the car/clutch, so I would definitely put this in the mandatory column when upgrading to k04. I'm hoping to get a few more months out of it, but I also don' want to not be able to drive my car like it should. Also to note, I haven't ever dumped the clutch from a dig, never tracked, and don't really beat on my car too hard......Update 3/4/13...Went with stage 3 disc only, have had it for 11,000 miles with no issues. Installed at Redline Speedworx for $300

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Awesome. Seems everyone is taking this route!

fastgti69

M3 Eater
Nice write up dude! Next up is a clutch! SBC stage 3 clutch disc.

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
Makes me hate the fact that I could afford this, but my car is leased.

P

plac

how the f do you load a video on here? I tried searching, but apparently i'm not good at figuring that out either....

you put it on youtube and link it up. or you host it on your own private webspace and provide a link.

GTImadman

With that much power, how are your wheels holding up? Any slipping through the gears?

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
yes, first gear is worthless, second gear has a lot of chirping, but once you get into third, it's good. In the brief driving i have done, I've noticed that leaving traction control on has been the best way to run through the gears from a dig.

E-Dawg

Passed Driver's Ed
Glad to hear there's another K04 convert amongst us! Lots of power on tap at any given time. Since I got K04'd it's like driving a new car.

Now I'm stumped, I don't know if I should drop some coin on a new clutch with either Peloquin or Wavetrac, or get a set of nice wheels since I'm still rollin' on top of my stock Detroit's?

Does it ever end....

darian

Ready to race!
Glad to hear there's another K04 convert amongst us! Lots of power on tap at any given time. Since I got K04'd it's like driving a new car.

Now I'm stumped, I don't know if I should drop some coin on a new clutch with either Peloquin or Wavetrac, or get a set of nice wheels since I'm still rollin' on top of my stock Detroit's?

Does it ever end....

Get the clutch and lsd better investment then the wheels. Also.Detroits look nice

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
Get the clutch and lsd better investment then the wheels. Also.Detroits look nice

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

In driving the car over the last few days, I actually don't think I'll be investing in an lsd. Before I got the k04, it was a huge, huge concern of mine, but even with the added power, the car is very controllable. I can't justify spending the extra $1k on an lsd. First gear spins, second gear grips and spins, and by third it's all good. I daily drive my car, and don't ever track it, so I feel that for a dd, it's not necessary. I will be investing in other things to help control traction such as lowering the car (still on stock suspension!) and getting better tires when I need them. I was probably the leader of the parade on getting an lsd, but unless there was a clearance sale for $300, I'm not investing in it. For me, it's good enough for dd as is, the xds system does good enough for the street

BenH

Ready to race!
In driving the car over the last few days, I actually don't think I'll be investing in an lsd. Before I got the k04, it was a huge, huge concern of mine, but even with the added power, the car is very controllable. I can't justify spending the extra $1k on an lsd. First gear spins, second gear grips and spins, and by third it's all good. I daily drive my car, and don't ever track it, so I feel that for a dd, it's not necessary. I will be investing in other things to help control traction such as lowering the car (still on stock suspension!) and getting better tires when I need them. I was probably the leader of the parade on getting an lsd, but unless there was a clearance sale for $300, I'm not investing in it. For me, it's good enough for dd as is, the xds system does good enough for the street

cool and thanks for sharing your experience. also the XDS can be improved upon a la Scirocco R settings via VAGCOM. tightens up steering too.