GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My car does a funny thing

dubbed24

Ready to race!
So my car has done this funny thing for a while now but it's more pronounced now that I'm K04.
So when I'm sitting at idle with the a/c off it runs with a steady rpm but every few seconds it makes a subtle shake as if it's misfiring and uou can also hear it in the exhaust when it does this. It's suttle but I can still feel and hear it. But when I turn on the ac it goes away
In just the past three days I have replaced my plugs to NGK and switched over to red tops. i changed my fuel filter and started filling up with she'll or BP I stead of kroger or quicktrip.
Like I said it idles fine and the rpms stay super steady, I have no loss in power from What I can tell and no CEL.
So does anyone know what this could be or does anyone else have this problem?

Update: so I went back and re gapped my plugs to .27. Apr calls for .24 with a tolerance of +/-.02 and everyone on here is saying .28 so I went in the middle. This fixed my idle problem and she is smooth as a kitten now! No little hiccups or sputters out of the car anymore!

Last edited:

WTF-IDK

Ready to race!
I don't know what your car is doing but the reason it doesn't do it with the A/C on is cause the motor picks up a little RPMs to compensate for the load of the A/C compressor.

TheCastle

Ready to race!

I'd vagcom it and watch the misfire counter. To see if your having misfires at idle. You have a hardware problem somewhere. Also log it to see if you have a boost leak, etc using APRs loging techniques. Also check your long term fuel trims. That should give you an indication something is off.

Take it to the dealer that did the install they should be able to diagnose it.

Just off the top of my head some possible causes..
1) improperly gapped plugs for your car (there is a range)
2) possibly a bad pcv
3) boost leak/vacuum leak
4) bad diverter

dubbed24

Ready to race!
I'd vagcom it and watch the misfire counter. To see if your having misfires at idle. You have a hardware problem somewhere. Also log it to see if you have a boost leak, etc using APRs loging techniques. Also check your long term fuel trims. That should give you an indication something is off.

2) possibly a bad pcv
4) bad diverter
I just put the plugs in and was told to gap them at .22. But I do have a CEL from my computer being fried. It reads a constant evap code and I'm waiting to get it replaced. You think that could be the cause?

dubbed24

Ready to race!

2) possibly a bad pcv
4) bad diverter

it could be because the gap is too small. i have noticed the exhaust is a bit rich. Once the K04 was installed they ran through the system and i dont have any leaks anywhere but they were having misfires but i believe that was due to old fuel filter, old plugs, and coilpacks with 65K miles on em

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion
I've noticed on mines too. I've felt it maybe 6-7 times since i bought it, about a year and a half years ago.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
It runs?