GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Custom Grille Emblem Thread (Pic heavy)

livefast

Ready to race!
Mk6 in the middle would be insane! Approximately how much would one of these cost? Just a rough estimate to see if I could afford one in the near future.

It's fine if you're not sure.

El TexMex

Ready to race!
The one thing most center badges have in common are the fact that they rely heavily on symbols & not so much letters.
Even though VW uses letters in its center badge it is created in such a way that it has become a symbol.
If you create a center badge using strictly letters, I'm afraid it's gonna look odd, moreso when the letters run side by side & don't encompass the whole circular area of the badge. The one exception is Ford, but you'll notice that the badge is oval & the letters fit tightly within the oval area.

El TexMex

Ready to race!
I don't have any real experience with plastics or plexi. I believe plexi can be polished once cut to make the surface see through again. but not sure. And the material (metal) is not really expensive. its more the tooling, my time to develope and machine these.

I know someone will come on here and try to :flame: me for the cost if its more than a few bucks over material and shipping but I'll deal with that when/if it comes up :fighting0030:

Andrew
Thanks. Okay that being said, because the image I want has alot of detail with numerous floating images & lettering. Could you still make a solid base plate, but not too deep & it would need to have the center hole counter sunk so that the bolt or screw doesn't pop out.
I'm thinking that I could simply lay my decal on that and fab a protective cover myself somehow.

DaWoLF

Ready to race!
Oh yea put me on the list, Can you put a wolf paw in the center? Like the one in my avatar or wolf? Either way sign me up since i want one lol

Skywarp23

Ready to race!
Those are awesome! Add me to the list as well, and let me know how much, and when you need my design by. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

WIGGLES84

Ready to race!
I like the middle and right hand version. Not a fan of the left (outline of the wolf instead of solid wolf).

GTI logo? You could do a "fast" or a "rabbit" in the center....:iono:

Here's a fast example you could use:

I might be able to do something with a"fast" or "rabbit" but it wouldn't be as 3D as the badge you posted. Generating 3D cad files to is beyond my abilty in any cad/cam softwear :(.

how big is the fast in your post. I looked at ecs but could find it on there.

Andrew

WIGGLES84

Ready to race!
Thanks. Okay that being said, because the image I want has alot of detail with numerous floating images & lettering. Could you still make a solid base plate, but not too deep & it would need to have the center hole counter sunk so that the bolt or screw doesn't pop out.
I'm thinking that I could simply lay my decal on that and fab a protective cover myself somehow.

So leave it flat across the front or with a shallow pocket? Either way, that should be doable.

Andrew

WIGGLES84

Ready to race!
Id def be interested in one. Would it be available pre-painted just as you are thinking of having it done? TJ.

It would as bear metal/plexi and need paint/powdercoat. add to list?

Oh yea put me on the list, Can you put a wolf paw in the center? Like the one in my avatar or wolf? Either way sign me up since i want one lol

On there(list), and I think the paw should be possible. Would you want the center of the paw and the "toes/claws" to be separate frow each other(like a print) or connected in someway like a paw?

Andrew

BeauG

Ready to race!
You already know I am interested in one of these. Would you be willing to create a custom insert if we wanted to go that route? Naturally I would absorb any design costs associated with having a different emblem, but it would be cool for to have my own one-off design that no-one else has.

Let me know if this is a possibility. I'm interested in one either way, just more interested if I can get my own personal insert :thumbsup:

Add me to the list!

WIGGLES84

Ready to race!
Mk6 in the middle would be insane! Approximately how much would one of these cost? Just a rough estimate to see if I could afford one in the near future.

It's fine if you're not sure.

Just to give you an idea of the amount of work that goes in to one of these:

As of right now theres about 2hrs of machine time into matt-mk6's ring/honeycomb(About 1/3 to 1/2 of the time spent on my first one). About 30 min in lathe and 1.5 hours in mill to cut honeycomb. Had to use a two axis mill to cut the honeycomb because the 3 axis mill I'm allowed to use was being used. So thats 29 pockets I had to put the cutter in and pull out of and 5 passes around(1 with a 1/4 inch mill, 3 with a 1/8 inch mill and once with a chamfer cutter). I still have to make/test the new way clamping the ring to the grill.

His emblem has about 1.25 hours of cut time in it . Drill/tap back side. Mount to a fixture plate and machine it out(few passes with 1/4 inch mill, few passes with a 1/8 inch mill, then chamfer tool for the edge).

Now my time spent in front of the machine will be greatly reduced if I can get in the 3 axis mill to cut the honeycomb and emblems. But cant guaranty when and if I'll be able to use it :cry:

Andrew