GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Mk6 is dead... Be sad with me.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Ayyyyy do the money dance

zrickety

The Fixer
Yeah... I never did anything with the timing chain and was never told that it was needed during any of the regular service appointments. I just sold the car to someone who does have the ability to do the work themselves and I'm due to pick up my new Mk8 Autobahn on Tuesday afternoon, so despite being sad about the Mk6, I'm right where I wanted to be anyway. Life's weird...
Can be rebuilt for maybe $1k...see my sig. But congrats on the new car.
PROVIDE YOU PICS.

NoCaution

SofaKingEuro.com
I'll take a couple of pics of the new car soon... I drove nearly 2400 miles to get home and it's covered in bugs still. Eventually, I'll get a proper day off and post a few pics, after I clean it. lol

My thoughts so far... It's. AWESOME. There are some finicky things I'm still getting used to, but overall, it's a hell of a car. The "Travel Assist" impresses me the most. I drove my mother's Tesla in Novermber, and the autopilot was cool, but it took a lot of the fun out of driving. The level of autonomy in the steering on the Mk8 is perfect for long stretches of slightly curving roads. I can take my hands off the wheel just long enough to open a drink or change the podcast I'm listening to, and I'm not worried that I'll go flying off the road. There are some complaints about the time before it yells at you being too short, but I think it's perfect, since I won't be using it all that often anyway. I LOVE the new leather seats! I swore I'd never get anything but plaid, but these are another level of cool. The infotainment system isn't perfect, but after nearly 40 hours behind the wheel already, my complaints are barely even nit-picks compared to the things I love. I also had the APR stage 1 tune on my Mk6, and this is basically the same right from the factory, so I'll be leaving it stock for the foreseeable future. I drove up the PCH yesterday, and it WAY more than enough power and handling ability to throw it around those curves in a way that I probably shouldn't have. So, yeah... I'm happy again.

NoCaution

SofaKingEuro.com
The mk8 infotainment system seems sooo bad
It's really not... It's different, and takes some getting used to, but I'm not unhappy about it at all. I feel like all the reviews I've seen where people are trashing the system, they haven't really bothered to learn it before commenting. Once you learn the shortcuts and customize the display to your favorites, it's really not that much different than any other car. The only other "buttonless" system I've used was the Tesla, and while this is not as refined, it's still quite user-friendly. Maybe it's just confirmation bias in action, but I feel like the majority of people who actually own the car are overall pleased with the system. The people complaining about it either have no interest in the car to begin with, or they don't like the price (VERY valid, I'll admit) and they're using the infotainment system as an excuse NOT to buy one. I've been planning on buying a Mk8 for a loooong time anyway, and there's no way that something as minor as this was going to detract me. The car is still, as Jeremy Clarkson so eloquently put it; "All things to all men".

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
My bottom line is if you're happy, I'm happy for you. If you like it that's all that matters. I simply prefer physical clicky buttons for my most used vehicle functions. Burying everything else behind a touch screen menu is fine, because if you don't do that you have the opposite problem... an endless sea of buttons and knobs like a Mercedes Benz from a couple of generations ago that makes it difficult or impossible to apply a focused, minimalist interior design.

IMO at this moment in time only Honda has struck a perfect balance of ease of use versus increased technological capability.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Enjoy your new car. I'm guessing one will get used to the odd infotainment - climate control system.

Travel assist & no hands driving oh hell NO. I'm not saying you would use it in an unsafe way, but you know many will just like they do on that stupid dangerous system used on Tesla's. My thought is if one needs such a system maybe they should call an Uber. Rant over..... ;)

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
The mk8 infotainment system seems sooo bad
From what ive seen there is a distinct difference in the infotainment system and the rest of the cars interior interface. most people say the infotainment isn't bad at all but the steering wheel buttons, climate control buttons, gear shifter etc are all horrible.

Like I thought it was a deal breaker turning off traction control since they deleted the dedicated ESP button. It takes like 7 screen presses to turn it off now. Total deal breaker. But then i learned you can just create a shortcut button to the ESP function so you literally have that same dedicated ESP button just on the screen now.

salmawisoky

The MK6 GTI engine is known as a reliable engine, however, the 2013 and 2014 are significantly more reliable than the previous year's models. One of the most common problems with the Volkswagen MK6 GTI is water pump failure.
Drift Boss

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to hear about the MK6, but glad you ended up where you wanted to be anyway in the MK8 👍

I also bought my MK6 new in 2010 and I'm still driving her at 210k miles and counting. Got the timing tensioner updated years ago after I heard a "bike chain" rattling sound when I started the car once. I got lucky that time, but addressed it as soon as I could. That's probably the main reason why the car has lasted so long :sneaky:

Anyway, enjoy the MK8 and cheers! 🍾