GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

my weekend project

upnthebid

1983 MK1
I decided to wax the interior of the wheels so when I do my weekly wash, cleaning the brake dust off the wheels want be much of a chore. I might have lost my mind but actually the project was easier than I thought when taken at a safe pace.

Attachments

• DSCN0969.jpg
    DSCN0969.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCN0970.jpg
    DSCN0970.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 242
  • DSCN0973.jpg
    DSCN0973.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 281

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Nice work. I need to wax my fresh new wheels (and give them a bit of a scrub, they've got a lot of garage dust on them, and unfortunately a few scuffs and dings from shipping :() before getting them shod and tossed on the car.

Products?

upnthebid

1983 MK1
nothing special. I just used wash and wax purchased for the body. I decided early on that I would try a preventative maintenance wax on the wheels and learn more about the process before making any investments in specialty products.

My only advice is own or borrow a torque wrench. Set the pressure to 88lbs and have at it.

There is a sense of accomplishment and safety when you here the wrench click on all 5 lugs.

Attachments

• DSCN0984.jpg
    DSCN0984.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCN0978.jpg
    DSCN0978.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCN0980.jpg
    DSCN0980.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 178

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Good work, did you use a floor jack or the jack that came with the vehicle? that had to be a fair amount of labor.

mylesw42

Ready to race!
My only advice is own or borrow a torque wrench. Set the pressure to 88lbs and have at it.

There is a sense of accomplishment and safety when you here the wrench click on all 5 lugs.

I gotta get me one of these. I just cranked my bolts tight, and then one extra pull. Good job on the wheels though, I use a mitt to get behind the "spokes" for cleaning.

THX-1138

Passed Driver's Ed
I decided to wax the interior of the wheels so when I do my weekly wash, cleaning the brake dust off the wheels want be much of a chore. I might have lost my mind but actually the project was easier than I thought when taken at a safe pace.

Nice job! Will do this when I get my garage, in the mean time I just clean them as far as I can reach. Thank you for sharing.

upnthebid

1983 MK1
I utilized the jack that came with the car, however, I have a 2 ton bottle jack that I used as a redundancy because the wheel was off the car for about 15mins. I didn't trust the factory jack to hold that long since it is mostly for taking off a wheel and replacing it with a spare.

The total project for all four wheels was a little under two hours (about 30 mins per wheel). Of course each wheel had to come off, wash, wax, and replace.

Additionally, for SAFTY I used wheel chocks and for SPEED I used a breaker bar. The wheel lugs are 17mm if you want to buy some sockets.

I would rate the project as simple as long as you take your time and be safe.

Attachments

• DSCN0966.jpg
    DSCN0966.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN0961.jpg
    DSCN0961.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN0964.jpg
    DSCN0964.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCN0959.jpg
    DSCN0959.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 139

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
upnthebid,

thanks for answering my question, excellent safety measures, chocks and the 2 ton jack.

shahabdin

Ready to race!
Do you actually remove your wheels every weekend? Won't that end up damaging the nuts and rods threading in the long run :iono:

finklejag

Ready to race!
The heat from the brakes will strip that wax within a few weeks. You need to use a synthetic wax or polymer wax. It will hold up to the heat much better. A good cheap polymer wax to use is Nufinish actually.

Spin Cykle

Passed Driver's Ed
I was actually thinking about doing this today however my process was going to vary a little. Like the above poster said the natural carnuba wax will not hold up to the heat and will fade fast.

1. Meguiras APC+ pre-soak (2-3 minutes)
2. Chemical Guys wash w/ MF mit
3. Clay bar to remove surface contaminants in the clear coat. (this is the most important step in the whole process I think)
4. Klasse All In One
5. Synthetic Paint selant (Have not yet decided what brand) Optimum or Wolfgang

gtipwnz

Ready to race!
I utilized the jack that came with the car, however, I have a 2 ton bottle jack that I used as a redundancy because the wheel was off the car for about 15mins. I didn't trust the factory jack to hold that long since it is mostly for taking off a wheel and replacing it with a spare.

The total project for all four wheels was a little under two hours (about 30 mins per wheel). Of course each wheel had to come off, wash, wax, and replace.

Additionally, for SAFTY I used wheel chocks and for SPEED I used a breaker bar. The wheel lugs are 17mm if you want to buy some sockets.

I would rate the project as simple as long as you take your time and be safe.

What is SPEED I and what is a breaker bar? And guy, you used a clay bar on the inside of the wheels?

upnthebid

1983 MK1
A breaker bar is an extension on the Lug/Socket Wrench that provides more leverage when "breaking" the lug loose from the 88lbs of torque. It just makes the work much faster and easier.