GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Name that part

drhender

In my 2012 GTI, I had a water leak in what looked like a hose against the firewall. Last night while looking closer, I took ahold of the hose and a smaller hose came loose. Unfortunately, it isn’t the hose that was leaking. The piece that the smaller hose connects to was cracked and finally broke off.
07ADA905-5346-4343-8761-E01AAD3FC02E.jpeg
5FA30414-9A3B-483B-84C5-E5E38492A56D.jpeg

Can someone help me identify that piece? It’s mostly hidden by the heat shield on the firewall. Also any idea how difficult it’s going to be to remove the old one and install the new?

thanks in advance!!

VgRt6

Ready to race!
That’s the quick disconnect coupling for the upper heater core hose. Very common failure on a number of different VW models. I replaced mine in December after the small nipple part cracked and started to leak.

I took the coupling off of a new heater core hose that I bought from ECS Tuning. There are two different hoses depending on whether you have a CCTA or CBFA code engine. The part number for the hose for my CCTA is 1K0122157HH. You can also by the coupling alone. The part number may be 1K0122291C, but don’t quote me on that.

The coupling is fairly easy to replace. There are a few videos on YouTube for how to do it. I’ll look for a few and post links.

VgRt6

Ready to race!
On a GTI you don’t need to remove the heat shield to remove the coupling. The GTI heat shield is also different than what’s in the video. Instead just use a long thin screwdriver inserted into the gap between the coupling and heat shield hole to pry/slide the coupling clip outward. IIRC, the clip is at the 3 o’clock position when looking toward the rear of the car and needs to be pried toward the driver’s side (on a LHD car). Once the clip is in this position, the coupling will pull off of the heater core connection. It may take a little bit of wiggling and pulling to get the coupling off if it hasn’t been off since the car was built.

drhender

@VgRt6-- Thanks! I really appreciate your help. I was trying to decide if I should just take it in or save myself the money and do it myself. It's one of those jobs that are tough to know what you're getting into before breaking it down.

Thanks again!