GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need some advice!

Buy a 10-11 MK6 or lease MK7?

• Total voters

themayer

Hey everyone, first post to the forum! So apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place/has been beat to death already.

I'll keep it short, I'm in the process of selling my 03 MB C230K in favor of my first GTI (and first VW)! :D

My question is, in the context of reliability/value mainly, would I be better off buying a 10-11 mk6 or leasing a new mk7 and buying it out at the end?
I've been reading a lot of horror stories about the mk6 at seemingly low mileage and that surprised me somewhat.

I'm not generally fond of the idea of leasing, but can talk myself into it as long as I buy it at the end.

I appreciate the advice!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Why lease the mk7 and not just buy it from the beginning?
*Also i cant really tell you much about the Mk7 reliability as i dont have one and they haven't been around long to really know. Id suggest posting on the mk7 forum and seeing what/if people are having issues.

themayer

Why lease the mk7 and not just buy it from the beginning?

That would be ideal, but the current money situation only allows for a ~$200 per month payment.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
Go with the mk7. I just got my mk6 a month ago and already had some issues with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
It's barely going to have 20k miles. I mean as long as you have extended warranty and everything is installed properly and maintained you should be fine

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Go with the mk7. I just got my mk6 a month ago and already had some issues with it

What are the issues you're having?
I have a 2011 with 53k miles and the only thing ive had to do besides regular maintenance is change my Battery.

To OP i also edited my first post to you to reflect a little more

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
Had to change fuel pump and right now having misfires. It's at the dealer, warranty should cover it

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
I was looking at the same thing in August, I decided to buy the MK6, as the depreciation over the next 5 years will be a lot less with the MK6.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
You should compromise and buy a used 2012 Golf R :p

I vote for the MK7 only because I prefer to buy new. Plus I tend to keep my cars for a very long time. That said...I bought my MK6 new and love it :)

SyDiko

Ready to race!
I wouldn't lease or buy a first or second model year, so I'd steer clear of the Mk7 GTI for now.

A few folks have reported a substantial trade in value drop for non TDI models recently. I'm not sure if used dealers are trying to take advantage of unassuming folks for a profit, but if that's true than you could probably get a really good deal on a low mileage 2012 (or newer) MK6 GTI. If dealers aren't budging on sales, than its bologna.

Personally, if I were in your shoes; I'd be looking for a White 2-Door MK6 Golf R.

Last edited:

themayer

haha oh yeah if I could get an R than I couldn't care less how often it breaks!

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
Yea can't go wrong with the golf r and they always have lower miles than GTI usually

MelowGTI

Ready to race!

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
That would be ideal, but the current money situation only allows for a ~$200 per month payment.

do you expect to be able to lease an mk7 gti for 200 a month?

how much are you planning to put down? I priced a mk7 lease with my mk6 i own as a trade in and it was like 380 even after haggling