GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Member and VW owner

obitron9000

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself. I had been lurking on these forums for a while and I must thank you all for the wealth of information that is provided here. :thumbsup:

I was driving a 2008 Subaru Legacy and traded it in for the GTI. The ride quality was just continually degrading on the Subie. My wheel was literally about to roll away from me on the highway.

So about a month ago I just bought a BRAND NEW 2014 GTI and my FIRST VOLKSWAGEN CAR EVER!!! I was inevitably infected by the passion that VW owners exude. :thumbup:

One month ago? Some people are probably wondering why I didn't wait a week for the MKVII... well that's because for whatever reason, the sales people at the dealer swore it didn't come until the end of summer (shady I know, I say the Mk7 like a week later at the same dealer). and for whatever reason I couldn't find the info on my own.

However, after inspecting the Mk7 I am happy with my choice. The back of the Mk6 looks way better and the front of the Mk7 is better. However, with my sporty driving youll be seeing my back more:drool: It's a daily driver, I dont mind missing out on 10-25 hp.

I sacrificed all wheel drive for simply a higher quality vehicle. I am in love with my GTI. I find myself thinking of stupid reasons to leave the house, just so I can drive my new car.

Within a day, I went Stage 1 at AWE Tuning which happens to be close by. Another couple weeks and now its Stage 2 w/ turboback exhaust, CAI, and H&R 24mm rear sway. Tints are at 15% with reverse light and reflectors done too. I would be happy to contribute opinions on these mods if you would like.

It ended up being a longwinded greeting, but the purpose of this thread is HELLO AND CHEERS TO ALL!!

Sincerely,

OBITRON9000

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Welcome and it looks like the mod bug skipped everyone in line and went straight for you :D

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion
Seriously!^^ hahaha looks like you'll be needing a a build thread!

obitron9000

Congrats on the car, and man you wasted no time at all with mods. DSG or MT?

Its a DSG, I can drive stick but saw the value in this great auto transmission

Thank you everyone for welcoming me! For now I am going to leave it as is, since obviously alot of work was done. I'm not so good with cars that I can DIY my mods, so it all ran me about $4,000. Maybe I should figure it out...

As for a plan I am thinking about K04 and slotted brakes in the future. Also HID headlights and some other aesthetic mods. Maybe some suspension work if anyone has recommendations

Once again, thanks for a warm welcome ;)

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
$4000 for stage 2 tune and downpipe, intake and swaybar install? That's pretty rough..

obitron9000

$4000 for stage 2 tune and downpipe, intake and swaybar install? That's pretty rough..

Well at AWE tuning, they had me waiting about 3 hours for stage one and 6 hours for the downpipe, exhaust, stage 2 tune, and rear sway... I knew it didn't sound right but I don't know how to go about addressing that..

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
whats done is done now, nothing to do about it. but some research here would have helped you know that AWE is one of the more overpriced and expensive tuner/hardware options around here. It could have been done for $2000 a lot of other places. See my link below for every DIY and modding video you could want for the GTI.

obitron9000

whats done is done now, nothing to do about it. but some research here would have helped you know that AWE is one of the more overpriced and expensive tuner/hardware options around here. It could have been done for $2000 a lot of other places. See my link below for every DIY and modding video you could want for the GTI.

So it's well known... I see. Thank you very much for your feedback... I'm happy with the work but it was definitely pricey. I will explore other options in the future. A stage one tune should not be three hours labor... that's where they get you.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
So it's well known... I see. Thank you very much for your feedback... I'm happy with the work but it was definitely pricey. I will explore other options in the future. A stage one tune should not be three hours labor... that's where they get you.

a stage 1 tune averages 1 hour labor. a turbo back install might average 1.5 hours at least. intake install .5 hours. rear sway bar install, 1 hour. you paid more than twice what it should have cost really. but it's good stuff, so you might as well just enjoy it now.

MONEY SHIFT

Banned
Haha filthadelphia! Don't need stage 2 there. Been there done that. Where at in Philly?

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
I am in love with my GTI. I find myself thinking of stupid reasons to leave the house, just so I can drive my new car.

I've had mine for a year and a month now, and find myself still doing that. It's been the most fun I've ever had driving a car, never gets old or tiring!