GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

no more are going to 2012 A3 quattro instead

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
meh I wouldn't even go that far. the cams are fine the one issue you might run into is actually having one of the rockers fly out. Only happened to me one time in over 40K miles of having the GT35R installed and only heard of it happening one or two other times to people. But that isn't a cam issue that is because the lifters can't keep up, could actually be worse with cams.

same thing happened on a local guys car, but his was built with a k04 (including a mild cam) thats the reason I never trusted the fsi head...especially past redline

darian

Ready to race!
Ok here is the dyno i promised
Golf mk5 GTI stock engine with k04 turbo conversion Audi S3(Golf R) cams, injectors, suporting mods plus water meth injection.

Attachments

• untitled.png__dino.png
    untitled.png__dino.png
    267.4 KB · Views: 178

Dirt Nasty

Go Kart Champion
only 3 car I would buy from Audi is the S3 if it were in the states.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
holy old thread bump, batman...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
looks like before I got mine, funny.

Chaos Theory

Passed Driver's Ed
I grew tired of reading so much misinformation and BS about half-way through this thread..
Sorry, but in a side-by-side comparison of the two the quality if materials and fit and finish is generally superior in the R. Don't fool yourselves, the A3 rattles, it's heavy, it's slower, etc etc..

Go ahead and buy an A3 if you are 'all about image', and need those 4 rings to justify yourselves..

IMHO anyone who knows ANYTHING about cars will appreciate what the R is much more so than the A3 anyways.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
^I lol'ed so hard i almost just spit out coffee at my desk at work when I read that!

I didn't suffer through reading the whole thing. I stopped right at maxtdi's quote... Sorry didn't mean to bring up old thread as something to be read. I just wondered if Maxtdi remembered saying that ha ha!

Edit: just so we are all clear, I have no opinion on the matter. Ive never been in an A3 let alone driven one, and know next to nothing about it.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I lol'ed when I saw this:)

:laugh: indeed, but that is new vs new. You can't get much of a discount on the A3 new. And finding one equipped right is even harder. I saw a few hit 50k out here :(

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I grew tired of reading so much misinformation and BS about half-way through this thread..
Sorry, but in a side-by-side comparison of the two the quality if materials and fit and finish is generally superior in the R. Don't fool yourselves, the A3 rattles, it's heavy, it's slower, etc etc..

Go ahead and buy an A3 if you are 'all about image', and need those 4 rings to justify yourselves..

IMHO anyone who knows ANYTHING about cars will appreciate what the R is much more so than the A3 anyways.

A few things...

1. A3 2.0T quattro DSG is essentially a GTI with AWD. Same exact engine, same exact transmission.

2. Golf R up until recently, was not being discounted. A comparable premium R to an Autobahn GTI was still hovering around $38K.

3. The AWD system on the R and the A3 is exactly the same.

4. Some may want the A3 over the R due to lack of a DSG option in the R - which is why I bought the A3.

5. Some may not want the FSI variant engine in the R.

6. VW owns Audi. Fit and finish, rattles and all, will be similar in both cars as they are essentially built on the same platform.

7. I bought used and saved a ton. I typically buy my cars new to save big time compared to new, especially on German cars.

8. Whether you like it or not, Audi has a higher brand image/appeal than VW. So while the car is the same as the GTI, I get a lot more "whoa dude, how much was that!?" from the audi, than I ever did with a better equipped Autobahn GTI, or that I'd get with a Golf R from the average person. Again, didn't say it was true (with regard to quality) nor that I agreed with it, but the perception is true to most average consumers.

^I lol'ed so hard i almost just spit out coffee at my desk at work when I read that!

I didn't suffer through reading the whole thing. I stopped right at maxtdi's quote... Sorry didn't mean to bring up old thread as something to be read. I just wondered if Maxtdi remembered saying that ha ha!

Edit: just so we are all clear, I have no opinion on the matter. Ive never been in an A3 let alone driven one, and know next to nothing about it.

see above, my love.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Is this true? I thought I read something about the R having 4th-gen and the A3 3rd-gen system, with the 4th-gen being significantly improved.

AFAIK, its exactly the same. Haldex and all. - unless... its the same as the MKV R32 then, and not the R (20). Not like it matters... most on here and in "real life" don't track their cars anyway.