GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Notchy 1-->2 at lower RPM

Nevileon

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a newbie stickshift question. I read a couple threads about others having notchiness but I was wondering how much was normal for my 1-->2 shifts.

I've found that if I try and shift at lower RPM (anywhere from 1500 - 2500 RPM) the shift is quite notchy. If the car is cold (like, Canadian winter cold) it actually takes a fair amount of effort to coerce it into second regardless of whether or not I hesitate in neutral (if I don't it almost feels like I'm forcing it into second).

However, if I gun it harder and the boost kicks in, or I'm shifting at 3000 - 3500 RPM, it goes straight into second quite smoothly (like the rest of my shifts). The only issue with that is that I'd always be shifting pretty late (like, 30 km/h, I think that's like, 20 mph or so).

Hoping you could help a new stickshift driver out and tell me if that's normal and I'm just shifting at the wrong time.

On a somewhat related note: Most places I've read talk about launching by letting the clutch pedal out to the friction point, and then adding gas while easing up off the clutch pedal. I took a stickshift lesson at the DMV and they suggested revving to 1000 - 1500 RPM first and then easing off the clutch while adding gas. The second way's a lot easier (read: less embarassing stallling) but I imagine it's probably not great for the clutch. Opinions?

BAgti

Ready to race!
How long have you had the car? Honestly, I didn't feel like my 6mt really broke in until around 4500 miles mark. At that point, all shifts became really smooth, but before that, I experienced the same thing where some gears felt a lot more notchy (I normally shift around 2k, 2.5k, and I don't feel any notchiness now in any gear). It will still feel a little bit notchy during cold mornings, but after it warms up it will go away. I don't think shifting at certain rpm will change the notchiness feeling, I may be wrong though.

When I first learned to drive stick, I was taught by my friends with the second method, rev up to 1.5 - 2k and then slowly let off clutch. But now, is just like 50/50 split - as I gas, I release clutch evenly. Honestly, you just need to keep driving it and practicing it, eventually your method will change to something a lot more natural to you and then you won't even think about it anymore.

Shifty6

Ready to race!
OP: First off with the notchy shifting between 1st and 2nd, especially when cold....get used to it. I had a 2001 passat that did that every cold morning for the first 2-3 miles until the trans fluid was warmed up. I had to shift early and slowly the first mile or two then it was fine the rest of the day unless it got cold again. I have not had my GTI in the cold yet so I am anxious to see how it does. The passat did it from the day it was new to the day she left me (276,471 miles).

The clutch on the Passat was original, and looked fairly new even at the end. The clutch should be FULLY out (engaged) with in ONE revelution of the wheels. Find the friction point and release while adding a little gas. Your car should have enough torque to not stall often. I have been driving a stick, and only sticks for a LONG time. I stall once in a great while. Big deal. I think stalling once in a great while is worth NEVER having to replace a clutch. I even down shift ALL the time. Just rev match, and you are good to go. The GTI revs much differently than the old 1.8t, much quicker, so still get the occasional bumble. Remember slipping the clutch removes material, removing material means putting it back later (New clutch). Have fun and enjoy!

Nevileon

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated. The stall ratio's definitely going down, just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing (too much) irreparable harm and that toughness getting in at lower RPM's was normal.

Cheers!

dwong0721

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry to revive an older thread, but I was wondering if anyone had a more definite answer to the OP's 2nd question:

"On a somewhat related note: Most places I've read talk about launching by letting the clutch pedal out to the friction point, and then adding gas while easing up off the clutch pedal. I took a stickshift lesson at the DMV and they suggested revving to 1000 - 1500 RPM first and then easing off the clutch while adding gas. The second way's a lot easier (read: less embarassing stallling) but I imagine it's probably not great for the clutch. Opinions?"

I am new to stick and would really benefit from this. I am a bit paranoid about unnecessary wear on the clutch, and I was wondering if the "low RPM launch method" would be safe to use in the long run.

BAgti

Ready to race!
Sorry to revive an older thread, but I was wondering if anyone had a more definite answer to the OP's 2nd question:

"On a somewhat related note: Most places I've read talk about launching by letting the clutch pedal out to the friction point, and then adding gas while easing up off the clutch pedal. I took a stickshift lesson at the DMV and they suggested revving to 1000 - 1500 RPM first and then easing off the clutch while adding gas. The second way's a lot easier (read: less embarassing stallling) but I imagine it's probably not great for the clutch. Opinions?"

I am new to stick and would really benefit from this. I am a bit paranoid about unnecessary wear on the clutch, and I was wondering if the "low RPM launch method" would be safe to use in the long run.

That is how I first learned also. I wouldn't worry about unnecessary wear on the clutch because I can promise you..before you know it, you will be shifting normally. IMO this is perfectly save to learn how to launch at first. I say in 2-3 weeks of daily driving you will be able to shift normal.

dwong0721

Passed Driver's Ed
So, just to be sure about what was mentioned above:

1. Clutch in
2. Shift to 1st Gear
3. With clutch fully depressed, add gas to ~1500rpm or less and hold around that rpm
4. Slowly release clutch while gently adding more gas as the clutch grabs on gear

This is okay?
I have been taught this way:
1. Clutch in
2. Shift to 1st
3. Release clutch until the friction point/zone
4. At this point slowly add gas while gently continuing to release the clutch

I have been doing it the second way I just mentioned, but have been finding that timing it to go at an intersection where I have a narrow window of opportunity to quickly go from a stop has been an issue. Is the first method I mentioned equally as safe?

BAgti

Ready to race!
So, just to be sure about what was mentioned above:

1. Clutch in
2. Shift to 1st Gear
3. With clutch fully depressed, add gas to ~1500rpm or less and hold around that rpm
4. Slowly release clutch while gently adding more gas as the clutch grabs on gear

This is okay?
I have been taught this way:
1. Clutch in
2. Shift to 1st
3. Release clutch until the friction point/zone
4. At this point slowly add gas while gently continuing to release the clutch

I have been doing it the second way I just mentioned, but have been finding that timing it to go at an intersection where I have a narrow window of opportunity to quickly go from a stop has been an issue. Is the first method I mentioned equally as safe?

The first method is how I first learned to drive a manual, very easy and simple and pretty much can't screw up. The second method is pretty much like normal drive imo (once you get used to driving manual, is almost like a 50-50 feeling aka, as you let off clutch you gas and once you hit the friction point you are off...don't know if this makes sense lol..)

I know for me personally when I was new to driving manual, when I tried that second method, I would stall a lot trying to "feel" that friction point and letting the clutch pop too quick.

The best advice is really just keep driving it and not worry so much about clutch wear and stuff right now. Like I said, you will drive it smoothly in no time. Unless you are popping your clutch and stalling hard every single time you shift to first gear, clutch wear is NOT an issue.

Skipdr

Go Kart Champion
I had the same problem, but I found out the solution today. Just let the clutch out really slowly after shifting into second, and it should work.