GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noticeable Oil Leak at Turbo Outlet Pipe

digital_mystik

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello,

For the last few months I have been noticing that my oil level has been dropping steadily, with visible dripping at the turbo outlet pipe (Neuspeed inlet and outlet installed). Took it to my local shop and they didn't think it was anything serious since I am pushing more than stock boost, but it definitely has me worried since I have not always experienced this. I don't really have a means to work on my car where I live due to an absence of space and flat ground, but I'm guessing it's in my intercooler as well.

What are some common issues that could be causing this? I have gone through almost a liter since September and haven't put that many miles on it since then. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

GolfR333

Ready to race!
I had the same issue with my car same part too. I just recently fixed it by Installing Neuspeed Oring & Turbo muffler delete oring. After I Installed new orings, confirmed no further leaks for me.

Last edited:

digital_mystik

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the same issue with my car same part too. I just recently fixed it by getting a new Neuspeed o ring that connects to the turbo and another o ring that is inside. Neuspeed sell them separately for the turbo o ring. Also make sure everything is tight! Lmk if u need the part numbers to those o rings
were you losing quite a bit of oil as well, and with the new o-rings, did you stop losing oil? That's good to hear since the pipes have been on for quite some time. Just curious how a bad seal would cause oil to push through (I don't know that much lol).. shouldn't it be pretty much free of oil in the first place?

Yes please, part numbers would be great just in case I can't find them.. thanks for the quick reply!

GolfR333

Ready to race!
Yes i was leaking a decent amount of oil to be honest. It was just like a little drip leak exactly like u are describing. The o rings Neuspeed Carrys call them up tell them ur issue they should be able to sell u the correct 2 o rings like they did for my shop.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Its normal to have a little bit of oil in the intercooler piping but if you're losing a significant amount and getting leaks might want to change out the PCV and maybe get some new oring for the charged piping

digital_mystik

Passed Driver's Ed
Its normal to have a little bit of oil in the intercooler piping but if you're losing a significant amount and getting leaks might want to change out the PCV and maybe get some new oring for the charged piping
yeah I'm probably going to do both for good measure.. still don't quite understand how that allows for fresh oil loss though. The PCV just recycles and the discharge end discharges exhaust. Maybe with bad seals it pulls oil from the turbo somehow? I don't really know enough about how it works tbh lol

Last edited:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Pressurized oil mist is routed through the PCV and reinjected into the IM when the IM is under vacuum. When the IM is seeing positive pressure conditions, ie boost, the PCV uses a lower pressure side to extract the pressurized crank case gases (oil mist). That is the hose that connects to the bung on the intake tube just before the turbo. That side is always under low vacuum so it will always pull some oil/crank case gases into the turbo/chargepipes.

It is totally normal unless it is excessive.

digital_mystik

Passed Driver's Ed
@GolfR333 would you happen to have those part numbers handy? I reached out to Neuspeed and they didn't know off hand.

Also is there a gasket between the turbo and TOP (the other being between intercooler hose and TOP)?

@Joe_Mama sounds good, thanks for the info

GolfR333

Ready to race!
If u have time contact a dealer with ur vin so u confirm that this is the correct o ring for ur car. This is a Oem oring I believe. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/charge-pipe-o-ring-priced-each/3c0145117d/

I also recommend getting the o ring from Neuspeed that they make to so both sides have fresh o rings..

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-neuspee...C29vc2GEvIfFpBHP9Yx19vMAuU03rbixoCc6sQAvD_BwE

also u could ask ecs about part numbers for both parts too..

I have a golf R so I just looked these up for u I hope this helps

digital_mystik

Passed Driver's Ed
If u have time contact a dealer with ur vin so u confirm that this is the correct o ring for ur car. This is a Oem oring I believe. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/charge-pipe-o-ring-priced-each/3c0145117d/

I also recommend getting the o ring from Neuspeed that they make to so both sides have fresh o rings..

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-neuspee...C29vc2GEvIfFpBHP9Yx19vMAuU03rbixoCc6sQAvD_BwE

also u could ask ecs about part numbers for both parts too..

I have a golf R so I just looked these up for u I hope this helps
thanks.. first link looks like the one from the turbo to TOP, but am not 100% sure about the TOP to intercooler hose part.. #8 on here shows 3c0145117f as the gasket between TOP and intercooler hose, but looks different from the neuspeed part.. does it take both?