GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM LED ((Style)) headlights by ED [Reviewed]

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Alright, so my car came with Halogens, i hated the look and performance (lack of?) so once i saw Ed's headlights and his good history on vortex, i had to do it!

Still going well?

24/Dec/2011 - Yes, after about 4 months of usage, they are working perfectly fine.

Where to buy?

Link to seller that most of us have ordered from (edward@becautoparts.com) > http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30007

Another member is selling these as well (SFvalleyGTi) > http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29715

Here are some more links that seem to sell the same headlights, no one confirmed how legit these are in this thread, i will update this info once any legit member reviews a seller:

1. DN Auto (UK): Un-Reviewd

2. Taobao (China): Un-Reviewd

I have been rocking them for 2 weeks now and i have a pretty good idea on the headlights and will be as honest as it can get on this one.

I have to stress on the point, i have never met Ed and i make no profit out of these, just some free time and letting people with halogens out there know that there is a solution.

The purchase

Ed is a legit guy as expected, he shipped out my headlights to a friend in the US and it took 3 days for them to get there, then my friend sent them over here (Middle east, Qatar).

When i got them, i noticed one of the headlights had scuff marks and chips, i contacted Ed with photos and he sent a replacement asap in about 3 days and payed for the all the shipping fees as expected, i had to reuse the ballasts and LEDs module from my damaged headlight, no biggie at all.

Oh and packaging was a big box with two boxes for each headlights inside with a lot of foaming and cartoon support.

The fitment

I got them installed at a body shop since i was doing other work there, they were very impressed with quality and they do fit just like the stock headlights and come with a 5k HID kit preinstalled to save the trouble for the customer.

There was tiny plastic pieces inside from manufacturing, which is expected for replica parts, i shacked them out easily, the guys at the shop told me it's nothing to worry about.

The Compatibility

They work with any MK6 Golf/GTI and face liftoff Golf wagon that are equipped with halogen headlights.

These will NOT work with bixenon equipped cars.

Only coding required is to disable the DRLs with vagcom or without the need for Vagcom in some cars, here is some guids:

1. Some 2011 cars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw0miFrzuag
2. Some cars: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4716247-Disable-DRL-without-VAG-COM
3. Vagcom: http://www.mkv-gti.net/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_disable_DRL_with_VAG-COM

The visual

They look damn close to OEM, however difference are:

1. Signal indicators are in the middle instead of the inner side.
2. Inner side is a second projector with a halogen bulb (flash to pass)
3. LEDs are a 6k blue-ish color instead of the white 4300k white of the OEM units

I now have 6k bulbs in my low beam and matching 6k HID kit in my fogs for a spot on match in color, looks great and have a lot of output!

- A negative: If you are parked right in front of a wall, you can see the wiring from the side and a little below the headlights if you actually look for it, not sure if the OEM stuff have that, but i am ok with it.

The function

- The LEDs are wired as city/parking lights unlike the stock units, so these don't have DRLs, you can use your fogs as DRLs through a simply vagcom option, but i didn't care/want DRLs, so i passed.

However, if you have the euro switch, you can have only LEDs on, but you will also have the tails on at the same time, vcds/wiring mods might be possible in the near future to have LEDs as true DRLs.

- If you have leaving home feature enabled and make it light up the fogs through VAGCOM, when you unlock the car with the keyfob your LEDs (City lights) and fogs will light up, which looks sexy as hell at night.

- Euro switch is really nice with these, so you can run the city lights (LEDs) and fogs alone, looks very sleek and aggressive at night.

- On day time with all lights off, if you flash your high beams, your inner projectors will light up (yellow halogen), which are bright and save a big chuck from your bixenons HID bulbs.

- On night time, if you flash your high beams, both the bixenon outter projector and inner projectors will light up, huge amount of light.

^looks blue since i just turned the HIDs on.

- The headlights aim (up/down) switch in the interior is still functional and can use it to adjust your beams up/down anytime!

The Bulbs

Low beam: D2H 5000k HID
High beam: H1 Halogen
Indicators: 7440 Amber

The Performance

These have far sharper and more light output than OEM bixenon headlights, i compared them to stock many times and i am 100% confident about this, i will try to take some comparison photos at point soon if i get the chance.

Low beam only:

Low beam+HID fogs:

- These obviously won't have the cut off, beam pattern and output of custom retrofits (aka sukanas work), but they are still pretty damn good on their own and are for those looking for the OEM look and LEDs on the front.

Video, in Action

http://f.cl.ly/items/1d3m3p1X1W2d2z0B331j/Sequence 1.m4v

More photos

Thanks for reading through, let me know if you have any questions and sorry if i made any mistakes in the write up, it's my second language. :thumbup:

PS please post here for questions, so other people can see it!

Last edited:

mag7

Ready to race!
Ah, that's what I was looking for.
I want to share (and translate) your post with the german community.
Can I do that when I am referring to you?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Wait did you get aftermarket HIDs to replace your factory bi xenons just to get the LEDs?

jnj2455

Ready to race!
Wait did you get aftermarket HIDs to replace your factory bi xenons just to get the LEDs?

Nah he had factory halogens. As did I. Here is my contribution to the thread. So far so good. I just pray that the quality holds up and not pull a Spyder Headlight situation.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
darn you with your nice led's. i just ordered some R tails from ecstuning.(yeah i know they're friggin expensive) i couldnt take it anymore looking at those tail lights. if the order goes thru then i'll be rockin them soon. i realy wanted the rear fog light but that would be more money.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI

It would have been a little weird to replace OEM with replicas, OEM will always have better quality no matter what...only things these got on oem is the second project and the superior light output and cutoff.

Nah he had factory halogens. As did I. Here is my contribution to the thread. So far so good. I just pray that the quality holds up and not pull a Spyder Headlight situation.

Looks pretty slick on black! don't worry about the quality, if something goes wrong within a year, Ed will send you replacements or either refund you, he is a legit guy from experience, hopefully they last long, they seem to be good quality.

darn you with your nice led's. i just ordered some R tails from ecstuning.(yeah i know they're friggin expensive) i couldnt take it anymore looking at those tail lights. if the order goes thru then i'll be rockin them soon. i realy wanted the rear fog light but that would be more money.

You will love them! trust me, it's too much money, but soooo worth it!!

Your car will look A LOT better, this is me being 100% realistic. :thumbup:

jnj2455

Ready to race!
Yah, I went with the HIDs in Halogen Reflector Housing early August and while I was happier with the brighter output, I couldn't help but feel like I was blinding people. I had to aim down lower which ultimately defeated the purpose of having the HIDs to begin with.

What was a wake up call was one night over late summer when I was driving home in the rain at night and I noticed my light was reflecting EVERYWHERE. The overhead highway signs were completely lit up from my light dispersing all over the place. Normally that would've been fine with halogens cuz they are inherently weaker but I was embarrassed to be that aftermarket guy who can't control his lights correctly.

I swallowed the pill and bought these and hope that my saga with Xenons is over and I can stop obsessing over them.

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
Nice job. so are you saying the xenons are brighter than the halogens?

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Yah, I went with the HIDs in Halogen Reflector Housing early August and while I was happier with the brighter output, I couldn't help but feel like I was blinding people. I had to aim down lower which ultimately defeated the purpose of having the HIDs to begin with.

What was a wake up call was one night over late summer when I was driving home in the rain at night and I noticed my light was reflecting EVERYWHERE. The overhead highway signs were completely lit up from my light dispersing all over the place. Normally that would've been fine with halogens cuz they are inherently weaker but I was embarrassed to be that aftermarket guy who can't control his lights correctly.

I swallowed the pill and bought these and hope that my saga with Xenons is over and I can stop obsessing over them.

Yah HID in halogen housings sure is a PITA in the rain, my fogs already reflect of water, so i will be turning these off in the rain, even though it doesn't really rain much here lol

okay okay, they look pretty decent.. now what if my stock headlights are xenon?

They won't fit, the plug in the OEM bixenons is different from the one in the OEM halogens, they do make a harness to retrofit the OEM bixenons in halogen cars, but not vice versa.

I would really just save up for the OEM LED headlights, if you want the LEDs, since you already have all the needed hardware in your car...you can sell your headlights on the forums and they will sell in no time!

Nice job. so are you saying the xenons are brighter than the halogens?

Lol..you are joking, right?

If not, of course, even a cheap HID kit will be bright, projectors of course will be much brighter...halogens are more like city lights output compared to these.

sokhangoo

Ready to race!
I'm just abit iffy about the 6k LEDs compare to 4300k oem ones. are they much different than OEM in color wise ?

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
I'm just abit iffy about the 6k LEDs compare to 4300k oem ones. are they much different than OEM in color wise ?

I havent seen oem in person, but they are a good excuse to get 6k hids which look WAY more exotic than oem yellow-ish color.

Sent from my iPhone with a shitload of typos